• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welp...the shop got back to me on the damage to the fork.

Basically taking the "no way it happened here" line (and Sram is obviously saying "no way it left our shop like that"). I mean--I understand where they are coming from as they are a shop that works on pretty high end bikes and it only sat around their shop for 2 hours between when they reinstalled it and when I picked it up...

Still don't see how I could have possibly done it though.
Despite it looking bad in the picture, it is actually quite hard to notice in person because it is on the underside and in shadow when the bike is standing up (I didn't notice it until the end of dialing my fork involved squatting next to it with a tiny pump 5-10 times).
Still, I'm sure I would have seen it before taking it to the shop, and SRAM would have noticed it if it came into the warranty shop with stanchion damage. I checked the back of my car, and there just isn't anything exposed that could leave rough scratches on metal. Everything is either plastic or upholstered with the exception of one metal loop which is smooth and out of the way. Bike went shop, across the street, car, garage, elevator, home where it leaned on a wall for a couple of hours before I got out the pump and adjusted the suspension.

They offered a $120 discount on the ~$650 wheelbuild we had discussed and to polish it out for me. The wheel is moot now that I have a new set coming from ebay, but I'll let them go ahead and polish it (I might prefer to do it myself but...whatever)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp...the shop got back to me on the damage to the fork.

Basically taking the "no way it happened here" line (and Sram is obviously saying "no way it left our shop like that"). I mean--I understand where they are coming from as they are a shop that works on pretty high end bikes and it only sat around their shop for 2 hours between when they reinstalled it and when I picked it up...

Still don't see how I could have possibly done it though.
Despite it looking bad in the picture, it is actually quite hard to notice in person because it is on the underside and in shadow when the bike is standing up (I didn't notice it until the end of dialing my fork involved squatting next to it with a tiny pump 5-10 times).
Still, I'm sure I would have seen it before taking it to the shop, and SRAM would have noticed it if it came into the warranty shop with stanchion damage. I checked the back of my car, and there just isn't anything exposed that could leave rough scratches on metal. Everything is either plastic or upholstered with the exception of one metal loop which is smooth and out of the way. Bike went shop, across the street, car, garage, elevator, home where it leaned on a wall for a couple of hours before I got out the pump and adjusted the suspension.

They offered a $120 discount on the ~$650 wheelbuild we had discussed and to polish it out for me. The wheel is moot now that I have a new set coming from ebay, but I'll let them go ahead and polish it (I might prefer to do it myself but...whatever)

Its always better when someone else does the polishing. :cool:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
D33D823D-30A6-47CF-A3CB-F042136E2594.jpeg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
X-post from the Covid thread.

This guy is doing it right. What a legend.

Also, To the person who was looking at e-bikes?
I looked at a Yamaha e-bike today, and it looked good.
Not sure if your wife will want one, but she might?
I'm impressed.

One wrinkle we just realized is that due to the nature of my wife’s disability she needs a class 2 e-bike, one that has a throttle control so she can coast under power. Most e-bikes require continual pedaling, which is a problem for her.

In that category Bicycling Magazine recommends the Aventon Pace 350, which is nicely priced. Might see if we can find a local distributor this weekend for a trial ride.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't know that. I had assumed they were like a hybrid car. The Yamaha ones made me think you could build up power and rip it off jumps or uphills.
But yeah, whatever gets you guys out in the springtime is a winner. Hopefully the right bike is found soon.
Getting out with the wife/family is great. It makes life feel normal for a while. Today we rode to get lunch, on what might be the last time before it snows. .
DSC_5227.JPG

Are you going to go skiing as a distancing activity this year? I may need your pre- 1st ski advice to fake like i'm a quick learner. ;)

We are making an effort to do as much as we can outdoors, so this year we are going to try winter sports.
Then finish both bike builds before riding the walking trails in spring.
-Put roof racks on the Forester, skis/snowboards. later, the family's bikes. Drive to a camping spot, and spend days riding trails and fishing.
I mean, Hokkaido is like the Colorado of Asia, might as well get out there, right?

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Pretty sure the Pedegos do not require pedaling...as someone coasted by me on a 4% grade. :mad: Our friends/neighbors bought two Pedegos, hers a step through, and they seem to be enjoying them.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Integrated weed storage.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Pretty sure the Pedegos do not require pedaling...as someone coasted by me on a 4% grade. :mad: Our friends/neighbors bought two Pedegos, hers a step through, and they seem to be enjoying them.

JUST LIKE SHATNER
ED13CDD4-59E3-4D5B-B244-923EB91EB364.png

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One wrinkle we just realized is that due to the nature of my wife’s disability she needs a class 2 e-bike, one that has a throttle control so she can coast under power. Most e-bikes require continual pedaling, which is a problem for her.

In that category Bicycling Magazine recommends the Aventon Pace 350, which is nicely priced. Might see if we can find a local distributor this weekend for a trial ride.

Google Himiway E-bike $1,399.
I read a review, and they raved about it for the price. Has a throttle too.
Fat tires, great range, 750 watt motor.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That almost seems *too* cheap. Is it that the class 2 motor setup is actually cheaper because it doesn't have to back itself into "assist-only" mode?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
They almost got it right...
"At this moment, you should be with us"

Intro to a fantastic Jane's song.

Not they, me. They'll laser etch what you tell 'em to print.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Google Himiway E-bike $1,399.
I read a review, and they raved about it for the price. Has a throttle too.
Fat tires, great range, 750 watt motor.

OMG this ad copy:

Elderly people should take good care of their bodies, proper exercise is necessary, but they should not overdraw their physical strength. So when choosing an electric bicycle, consider avoiding situations like running out of batteries that require you to pedal hard, walk long distances, or even push a bicycle. Because electric bicycles are generally heavier than regular bicycles, these things will cause damage to your body. The battery capacity of Himiway Step-Through is 17.5A, and the mileage ranges from 35 to 60 miles, which is absolutely suitable for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads