• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Lulz. I've got so much free rental space inside your head it's pathetic.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It wasn't the bike paths I was denigrating. Nice reading comp, Champ. Also, I wasn't really denigrating the Boomers on E-bikes, just wish they'd not come to a stop across the whole path to chat.
1. I thought you put me on your "Ignore" list? I was so blissful there.

2. I read just fine, Chump.

3. No, just denigrating "the Boomers on the local bike paths with them [e-bikes]". Because, I guess denigrating "the Boomers on the local bike paths with them [e-bikes]" is somehow cool, in your mind?

4. I see plenty of riders on $6K+ bicycles "come to a stop across the whole path to chat" etc. In fact, they seem to enjoy chatting just as much as any "e-bike Boomer". Also: at stop lights, crosswalks, coffee shops, even ******* Critical Mass rides. Maybe you feel those types don't live/ride where you do, but I suspect they actually do. Remember: "OBJECTS IN (THE) MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR".

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I cleared out my ignore list for CE reasons and you got off it. Given how you've just flipped your lid, glad I did.

:lol:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Was literally just looking at lights on EV and came here to get recs. The discounts on bikes isn't huge, usually 20% or less, and inventory is super tight. She's particular about getting a step-through model, which are less common to begin with. . iZip has a couple of good options that aren't available. So, no luck there so far.

Back to lights: what headlights do folks suggest for road cycling, no Garmin compatibility required? I get a decent discount on Light and Motion but am open to suggestions. @sugarbutch ?
A friend purchased a used Specialized Como step-through on Craigslist, and she's been quite happy with it. Perhaps that venue will offer the cost/benefit ratio you seek?

What kind of riding do you anticipate doing at night? If you're not doing any big descents, you don't need much power from the light to get around the city. My Bontrager Ion 200 RT's full bright mode throws enough light that I'm comfortable getting home from the GGB through the Presidio and GGP.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
What kind of riding do you anticipate doing at night? If you're not doing any big descents, you don't need much power from the light to get around the city. My Bontrager Ion 200 RT's full bright mode throws enough light that I'm comfortable getting home from the GGB through the Presidio and GGP.
Thanks, that’s what I was looking for; we seem to have similar riding habits and I wasn’t sure if I would need 1,000+ lumens or not. In the past I’ve always just gone with whatever is the brightest light the shop sells.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you not have street lights there? I have been getting away with nothing more than little "be seen" blinkies for a decade and almost never find myself in a scenario where I wish I could see the ground lit up. Even through the parks, the bike path is lit.

Well, there is one spot, but I can ride an extra 250 feet and avoid it.

I would be interested in a powerful set for the mtb, but the best nearby trail system technically closes at dusk (and they enforce it) so I guess weekday rides after work are off the table.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1000+ lumens is excessive for most situations, but the advantage of most lamps/lights from the better manufacturers is that there are at least a couple if not several dimmer settings, for any situation in which the higher lumens are not needed.

Using the dim settings/lower battery drain often, I nonetheless prefer to have a higher output on occasion. Cost, etc are essentially the same over ~600 lumens.

The other advantage of the higher lumen lamps is that they definitely make for better flashlights when one is needed, at full power.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you not have street lights there? I have been getting away with nothing more than little "be seen" blinkies for a decade and almost never find myself in a scenario where I wish I could see the ground lit up. Even through the parks, the bike path is lit.

Well, there is one spot, but I can ride an extra 250 feet and avoid it.

I would be interested in a powerful set for the mtb, but the best nearby trail system technically closes at dusk (and they enforce it) so I guess weekday rides after work are off the table.

If there's any chance at all that you'll want the brighter light at some point, I would suggest getting it. I've done a lot of night riding, mostly because of the distances involved in the cycling events I've done in the past.

When I started out, I had a relatively dull light with a bulky battery pack (as I recall, it was from Cygolite). I really wish I'd gotten a brighter light from the get go. That's a lot easier and cheaper now than it was back in 2006 when I started down the ultracycling rabbit hole.

The brighter lights from good manufacturers will have a few different settings, and you can ride on the dimmest setting when you only need to be seen.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even with the streetlights here, a bit of light to pick out the glass, holes, and other SF street excitement is quite useful. I had to make my way home without it recently, and while it was possible, it was less than pleasant.

I would not argue with the suggestions to get a brighter light and run it at a lower setting, but the compact form factor of my light is quite nice and it has enough light for my needs.

I am planning to get a bright AF light for the gravel bike so I don’t get stuck out on the trails in the dark if I misjudge my timing.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with the streetlights here, a bit of light to pick out the glass, holes, and other SF street excitement is quite useful. I had to make my way home without it recently, and while it was possible, it was less than pleasant.

I would not argue with the suggestions to get a brighter light and run it at a lower setting, but the compact form factor of my light is quite nice and it has enough light for my needs.

I am planning to get a bright AF light for the gravel bike so I don’t get stuck out on the trails in the dark if I misjudge my timing.

Oh of course, if you can get multiple lights, do that.

BTW, for taillights, I wholeheartedly recommend the Cherrybomb by NiteRider. Those things are the best taillights I've used. They're the bomb?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Also, don't discount being Garmin compatible. My one ***** with the Wahoo is it is only compatible with one specific light (can't remember which) and does not integrate with my Ions with are ant+. Why I would like this is I've taken off from the casa a few times and forgotten to turn them on to. I have to admit it'd be nice if they just turned themselves on/off when I started rolling.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can enthusiastically recommend the Ion Flare for your taillight. I have come across riders who have them, and the flashes were obvious from ludicrous distances.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
X-post from the Covid thread.

This guy is doing it right. What a legend.

Also, To the person who was looking at e-bikes?
I looked at a Yamaha e-bike today, and it looked good.
Not sure if your wife will want one, but she might?
I'm impressed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
@sugarbutch, you have me convinced in bib shorts but I don't think the BBs will be my brand. Needs a bit more padding across the sit bones and has too much padding up front such that I had to do the occasional Guiliani to stay comfy. However, the no elastic band? Brilliant.

New shades from Sports Optical are perfect and a huge improvement in ride enjoyment. Great to work with too and I'll be heading back from some yellow lenses at the very least.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads