• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Hey @flipstah (or any other regulars) Do you want some front shocks for your Kuwahara?

I got these Mint 1" 2004 Marzocchi forks that I can't use.
DSC_5139.JPG
DSC_5136.JPG
DSC_5132.JPG
DSC_5128.JPG
DSC_5134.JPG
You can have them in trade for clothes. and to run them you would only need a threadless headset &stem, and brake posts. These are really good forks, that need to go on a good bike. You want?

Last edited:

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks but I’lljust enjoy the bike right now the way it is. Haven’t even gotten a full ride yet because it snowed here :(

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
@sugarbutch, Black Bibs just arrived. Wish they had come yesterday but I'll wear them out tomorrow.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey @flipstah (or any other regulars) Do you want some front shocks for your Kuwahara?

I got these Mint 1" 2004 Marzocchi forks that I can't use.
View attachment 1478793
View attachment 1478795
View attachment 1478796
View attachment 1478797
View attachment 1478798
You can have them in trade for clothes. and to run them you would only need a threadless headset &stem, and brake posts. These are really good forks, that need to go on a good bike. You want?
What are the stats? My dad has been looking for a fork for his hardtail... But it might be a 26" 1 1/8 non-tapered that he needs. Nobody really makes good stuff that size anymore.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm struggling with finding the right shocks for my bike too.
I bought the forks that fit flips bike on a wrong listing.
Now I'm looking at a custom rebuild for my forks

What length of travel does he need?
Rockshox and manitou both make a standard 1-1/8 with 100ml travel.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
@sugarbutch, Black Bibs just arrived. Wish they had come yesterday but I'll wear them out tomorrow.
I picked up a pair as well - I like them a lot more than the Pearl Izumis I’ve got.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven’t made up my mind about the chamois on my onesie. Particularly when I’m in the drops, I suspect a bit more padding up front would be good. Overall, though, excellent value for money. I need to try their bib. I ordered one of Phil Gaimon’s Cookie jerseys (made by Black Bib sister brand Starlight), so I will report back on that after a few ride/wash cycles.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@otc Check your dad's bike. If it has a 1" steerer tube, you can trade me for the forks, or pay me what i paid for them. if that is easier.

Forks seem to be the most difficult thing to deal with on a build. (and seatposts)
Most are serviceable, and I have been browsing for weeks.
so here's a couple of other options.
Otherwise, If you want new ones? I have only found from 3 credible companies. Manitou,Rockshox,and SR Suntour.

Some period correct top shelf ones are probably the best bet. Imho

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got a deal on a set of DT Swiss xm1501 wheels on ebay, with the 54t upgraded 240 hub. It almost seems too good to be true...

But I think the ebay seller just screwed up.
1. He ran a short auction with a saturday night end time. The auction had multiple watchers, but I bid with 1 minute to go and there were zero other bids.
2. He had a mismatched set. Boost rear and non-Boost front.

He included a brand new MRP adapter that converts the hub to fit a Boost fork, but he really should have just split up the set and sold individually. Inventory on all bike parts is hard to come by...but it seems like the price I paid would have been a fair price for just one of the wheels by itself.

I only really need the rear right now. So I might look into flipping the front wheel and waiting for a Boost version...or I can just use the adapter set (only downside to the adapter is that it is a centerlock hub, so instead of just shimming the brake rotor, you have to use an offset mount to move your brake caliper inboards).

edit: maybe that's how the shop can make good on the damage to my bike...toss me some free labor to swap a hub out (although I know shops hate working with these proprietary straight pull spokes).

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Today Lil'Vader and i went out for a ride. We went back to the scrap yard i rescued the bike from for 1,000 yen.
The dude was super impressed. He said in Japanese "It's awesome, i love it. nice work". I wanted him to know i buy stuff to repair it and use it. Turns out he's a Musician. So if he cuts me a deal on the next scooter that comes in? I'll reach out for musical equipment. ;)
Then, we rode to a thrift shop. and got my son some learning Nintendo DS games for 200 yen each.
We followed the river home,
DSC_5148.JPG
Then went the other way, to get Chocolate milk.
I parked my bike, and my son was confused about which way to park his bike. A guy in a Hi-ace was patiently waiting for him so he could park. He gets out and says "Konichiwa" We say "Konichiwa" then get our chocolate milks. As we leave, a group of lads are aweing at my bike, we leave. and i hear a shouting, #$#%$%&''. . . I dunno, did i drop my mask?
No, The dude had bought a packet of chips for my son. as a young granddad he was stoked to see my boy getting out there.
My boy was "Wahooooooooooooo!!!!!!!" Free ****! :bounce2:

Thanks man, you're a legend. We take the river home again.
DSCPDC_0000_BURST20201018150320182.JPG
What do you have there? DSC_5168.JPG
2 Chocolate milks, and chips.
Then we hang out in the yard, while he gets the last from the garden.
DSC_5175.JPG
DSC_5176.JPG

and i paint parts for my bike. Then paint some spots on the wife's car. What a nice Autumn Sunday.

Last edited:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and i paint parts for my bike. Then paint some spots on the wife's car. What a nice Autumn Sunday.
[/QUOTE]
That's the haiku of the day...

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Looks great!!!

Almost like it was always like that. Nice work! :slayer:

It's all good, i'll put them on my wife's bike over winter for spring walking trail rides. It will be a pretty sweet upgrade for her Giant.
-Carbon/Kevlar frame, with those shocks? That's a serious bike for it's purpose.
Might have to "Build" her bike. . . .:devil:

Joytropics

Reaction score
Total novice here: Are Jenson USA e-bikes any good? I got some real sticker shock seeing $8k plus for many e-bikes, and the Jensons seem to start around $2k.

Is that too cheap for something decent?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Total novice here: Are Jenson USA e-bikes any good? I got some real sticker shock seeing $8k plus for many e-bikes, and the Jensons seem to start around $2k.

Is that too cheap for something decent?
Can't vouch for the Batch, but the discounted Orbeas are well reviewed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads