• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
IDK. Are mini-pumps better than they were 25 years ago? I'm now carrying 3 cylinders and figure if I get that many flats in a ride, *******, I'm calling her to come get me.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just met with a very good knee doctor (team physician for local pro teams) and he said I don’t have permanent damage and with some different PT and treatments I should be good as new in my knee. Looking forward to crossing one long term ailment off my list.

Also set to speak to the insurance claims adjuster today. Interested to see how much they will value my claim for my stolen bikes.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Have an appointment in December with one of the best knee guys in the biz. He specializes in revisions so tends to get things right the first time. I'm hoping to get similar news on my left but sure my right is decades of osteo and it'll be a replacement. :(

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How in the hell does he drop in with this stuff? Does a bat signal go up?

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This whole building a bike thing has gotten out of hand. ??

Going to ship off the frame and fork to get professionally painted when I get home. The stays will be left bare titanium, paint terminating after the brake junction and a few inches past the bb. With little red stripes at the transition points from painted to bare metal. Looking at a nice light blue or seafoam green.

Went with Deda Superleggera carbon bars. Dura Ace 9100 skewers. Veloflex Roubaix skin wall tubulars.

The new wheels will have use 20h front, DT Aerolite spokes; 24h rear, DT Aerolite non-driveside and Aerocomp on the driveside.

Bought nice Campy tools to do the work. Somewhat depressing dropping mad money on a chain tool, but its a work of art.

Everything has been bought now. It's gonna be Christmas for me when I get home.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IDK. Are mini-pumps better than they were 25 years ago? I'm now carrying 3 cylinders and figure if I get that many flats in a ride, *******, I'm calling her to come get me.

For real though, mini pumps are fine. Lezyne makes a number of good ones depending on size/feature desires, as do some other manufactuers. Some also have heads that double as a CO2 inflator.

Many lezyne models come with a hose stashed in the body that makes it easy to inflate without torqueing your valve stems. They make various sizes and levels of complexity, and even have some made with carbon tubes. All are well made but it is just a tradeoff between price, size, and pumping efficiency.

On the MTB side, you also get lots of cool options that can fit tools or CO2 inside, but the high pressure roadie pumps are usually kept too small for that. For some stupid amount of money, you can get the oneup EDC setup with a high-volume pump, good multitool, CO2 inflator, and room for 1 cart that all packs up inside of the pump and straps down next to your bottle:
1602876810604.png

Or you can use a different pump and get a kit that lets you store the tool and co2 or tire plug kit inside your steerer tube.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I did score some pretty dust cap covers on Prime Day. :)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
*grumble grumble*

Got a text that my bike was ready this afternoon...so I drove in awful Friday traffic to go get it because I won't be around saturday but might want to ride it on Sunday. SRAM had serviced the fork and sent it back. Damper and compression seemed to be working like normal again so I paid for the shipping+install charge and chatted with the guy for a bit about what kind of wheels they might be able to build for me.

But now when I get home and start trying to dial in my suspension sag, I notice these fresh scratches on the stanchion:
1602904054241.png

And also one of the 4 plastic clip arms that hold the brake line in place (back side of the clip in the lower left of the phone) has snapped off. Maybe it happened while SRAM had it, but it looks like it got knocked over while sitting in the shop.

I'm pretty annoyed, but I'm not really sure what the best resolution is. Something like that can cause bushing and seal wear and is definitely not just a cosmetic problem. But it is near the very top of the suspension travel, and if I had done it myself I'd just sand it smooth and be annoyed...not something you buy a new fork over.

I shot off an email to the owner, but I don't even know what I'd want them to do. Replacing a midgrade OEM fork like this certainly isn't worth it, but if the only repair is lightly sanding and polishing the surface so it doesn't abrade the seals...I'd probably rather just do that myself than have to drive back to the shop twice and be without a bike for who knows how long.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would infuriate me. I wouldn't expect a replacement, but I'd definitely expect a little something-something thrown my way; without that, I'd definitely never use their services again.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something or have bikes shot up in price the last few years?

I bought my dearly departed bike (Giant Defy Advanced 3) almost exactly 4 years ago. List price was $1550 (I paid $1400). Same bike was $2050 for the 2020 model year, with better brakes but otherwise just about identical. This year they aren’t offering that level so I would need to bump up to the Advanced 2 for $2500. Same situation for Mrs Unf (she had the Liv Avail which is the women’s version)

I hope Biden fixes this tariff BS in January. It’s not really gonna change my life, but still pretty annoying. Especially since whatever bike I get is just going to get stolen again lol.

I have a year to buy something so I can recover the delta between replacement value and depreciated value as determined by the ins co. Last time it was with a prior insurance company and they were really awesome about it. Will be interesting to see what happens this year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads