• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As best I can tell, I haven't called upon the sealant in my tubeless tires before today, and it failed me. Fortunately, I noticed it as I was leaving my house (right after taking an embarrassing fall with one foot clipped in, oof). I also discovered that the plug kit the shop sold me is garbage, so I pulled the tire, washed out the remaining sealant, and put a patch over the hole on the inside.

Fortunately it was a nice ride.

MetBran

Reaction score
As best I can tell, I haven't called upon the sealant in my tubeless tires before today, and it failed me. Fortunately, I noticed it as I was leaving my house (right after taking an embarrassing fall with one foot clipped in, oof). I also discovered that the plug kit the shop sold me is garbage, so I pulled the tire, washed out the remaining sealant, and put a patch over the hole on the inside.

Fortunately it was a nice ride.
i have been doing the same man

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally found my head lamp so I can ride confidently in early mornings!

IMG_7450.jpg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this website that rates helmet safety. I bought the Bontrager Specter WaveCel.

D877A854-2694-4879-9A82-6AA6BE6FFC66.jpeg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally found my head lamp so I can ride confidently in early mornings!

View attachment 1472220

When I was visiting Calgary a couple of years ago, I went out for a run and some random dude decided to try to race me just before we came to that bridge. Needless to say it did not turn out well for either of us - the random dude because he couldn't take me, and me because my legs hurt so bad for the two days of the conference... I love the bridge though.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been searching for a MTB-oriented helmet and have been finding myself between sizes. Especially since it seems to be common to try to span multiple sizes in a single "size" helmet these days.

In a couple Smith models, the L needs the back strap adjustment basically fully tightened which makes it feel like the shell is just too big and likely to bounce around. But the M feels like the shell is pressing on my head which would likely be uncomfortable over time.

Ditto with some Troy Lee helmets I tried.

Never had a problem with helmet sizing before...will have to find somewhere with more models in stock because now I am too unsure to order online, but inventory in shops has been limited.

Would like to try on some Fox dropframe/speedframes...but last time I looked I couldn't even find them online in anything besize size small.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Ordered some Forks from China. -They refunded me.
I got so frustrated today that i headed into the LBS.
we scoured the SR Suntour catalogs for a fork that is right. finally, we gave up. but he was googling rebuilding or customizing forks. so?
I will take my fresh but nit fitting Marzocchi's in with my bike and it's busted ones. and see if we can do a custom job between them. We'll see. . . .

The uphill ride to the shop was refreshing. Going out on the bike feels just as good as it always did.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We scent up with Tom Ford before throwing a leg over.......ALWAYS

That’s pretty appropriate for this forum...

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Okay guys, help me out?

What do you all think of Carbon handlebars?
I have been looking to put some better bars on the 'ronabike and to lose some weight off the front end.

And i have been browsing ebay for a few hours. I know everything is made in China. Identical products with different branding selling at different prices. .
Do you think i'll be alright with unbranded Chinese Carbon bars?
I have this fear of them snapping. Irrational?
These are the bars i am looking to click yes on.

Or this
The dull finish would blend well with the bike. The gloss would match well with the forks and wheels. perhaps giving it a "Factory look". when finished.
(If the LBS can Frankenstein my marzocchis)

What do you think? Click yes?

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay guys, help me out?

What do you all think of Carbon handlebars?
I have been looking to put some better bars on the 'ronabike and to lose some weight off the front end.

And i have been browsing ebay for a few hours. I know everything is made in China. Identical products with different branding selling at different prices. .
Do you think i'll be alright with unbranded Chinese Carbon bars?
I have this fear of them snapping. Irrational?
These are the bars i am looking to click yes on.

Or this
The dull finish would blend well with the bike. The gloss would match well with the forks and wheels. perhaps giving it a "Factory look". when finished.
(If the LBS can Frankenstein my marzocchis)

What do you think? Click yes?

tl;dr: You will probably be fine, but the stakes for failure are pretty high

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics