• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new 3T bikes look exactly like what I'm after actually!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horizontal dropouts. The issue is that....
Yes, I got all that. Still makes little sense given the other issues. It's a perfectly fine frameset as is but, like all, for the correct purposes. It is simply not a 28"+ frameset, and a 650 conversion would be money thrown away for the supposed value.

If those as-designed purposes no longer suit, then just buy/trade for a more vertical, longer wheelbase frame designed for wider tires, and all the etc. such as an older Poprad, XO-1, whatever Trek's/Spec's/etc version was called, or a new (more recent brand/model) one...millions of those now abound in the saturated "gravel/groad" market; either way those framesets far better match all the desires.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Random pic while I was chilling in a park this morning. The new speed and cadence sensor.

5804D905-05A8-4DD6-AD3D-B4927993989E.jpeg

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I got all that. Still makes little sense given the other issues. It's a perfectly fine frameset as is but, like all, for the correct purposes. It is simply not a 28"+ frameset, and a 650 conversion would be money thrown away for the supposed value.

If those as-designed purposes no longer suit, then just buy/trade for a more vertical, longer wheelbase frame designed for wider tires, and all the etc. such as an older Poprad, XO-1, whatever Trek's/Spec's/etc version was called, or a new (more recent brand/model) one...millions of those now abound in the saturated "gravel/groad" market; either way those framesets far better match all the desires.

Which is exactly why I didn't do it.

Never considered doing a 650 conversion for this bike. It's one of the finest 'mass produced' 80s American crit/race bikes. That would be hilarious. I actually used to own its cousin as well, an 84 trek 520 which was a fantastic touring bike. That would have been a much better option for a gravel bike.

Some additional clearance by making the cut is the furthest id go. There's zero chance anything bigger than a 28 would clear the seat tube without a bunch of work. Not worth it at that point to dimple the stays etc. It'll never be a gravel bike.

For me to take a dremel to it and cut off 2-3mm of the dropout?
Who cares? It wouldn't affect anything.

I've had this bike for like 13-14 years and it's lived in like 4-5 different build iterations in that period. I'm not really planning on getting rid of this frame so I'm on board with messing around if it makes it fit my needs... Within reason obviously!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which is exactly why I didn't do it.
It'll never be a gravel bike.
That's all I wrote, that that frameset will never be what you stated you would like it to be now.

Some (even many) "D-I-Y modifications", especially those intended to follow some current trend (like using track-geo frames as city "fixies" and single-speeds and then drilling out the fork crown for a brake...) are ill-advised. People do all kinds of weird and stupid **** to dropouts, stays, forks, stems, posts, all while often not even understanding the immediate or long-term consequences.

Please understand that I am not saying you are that kind of person...I don't know you at all...but I suspect some here would be tempted to do that kind of thing. (And I am also definitely not referring to @flipstah, who in fact seems extremely reasonable in that regard, in his mods.)

But, your frameset, do whatever you want to it.

Edit: Yes, Trek 520 is I think the Trek I was thinking of that was the cousin of Lemond Poprad, Bridgestone XO-1, etc.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only reason I'd try converting this to a gravel bike is because I think it would be hilarious.

I don't have time for that anymore though lol.

Like I said, id be more than happy with 28s.

I think you may have misunderstood though. I'm pretty sure I said i wanted my next bike to be a groad bike.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I know who you're explaining yourself to multiple times...it's just what happens with him; it's not you.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am actually quite floored by all the different drive train options today. I think im just going to go with used Dura Ace parts and sticking with a 2x. Probably 2x10.

Thoughts on snagging this: https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2855400/

Just not looking to break the bank on drivetrain.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Are you a "weight weenie?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads