• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
That's a real nice frame @Biscotti keen to see the build out. while us thriftier types enjoy a budget build, a top dollar build is also fun to see.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trigger pulled on the RTP Columbus fork. $234 to my door, not bad at all.
Correct decision imo.
Did you order the Columbus expander as well?
It is a good expander.

Last edited:

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again man. I had the store ammend my order with that tacked on. :)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
That would be cool. "All the Bikes!!!!"

I'm thinking about putting the 1inch Marzocchis on the wife's bike. with a threadless headset and stem. you know, to not waste money. only her bike is close to MINT. what to do. . . . . . ?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was very close to putting a 1 inch Columbus minimal on my last build but ended up holding off because I didn't think that would have added to the build even though it would have brought the weight down by a pound or so. If I ever deck out the frame with DA or whatnot so that it sits in the 18-19lb range, then it might make sense to get the carbon fork and bring the weight down. It's about 20-21lbs as it sits now.

In any event, I might have posted this already but here's my 1984 trek 760.

PgE39dL.jpg

Really bums me out that theres no great way to put 28s on it. They fit fine but it's impossible to get them on and off. Slightly easier with the tire totally deflated but I still have to whack it out and I don't like it. 25s require some finesse as well. I've actually considered cutting off a few mm of the dropout to make the process easier but that seems like too much.

Such a shame too. With 28s, this bike would be glorious in the winter.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And here's the daily bike so to speak. The trek has been on the kickr lately.

This is a ghost nivolet 105 that came with 5800 that I slapped on the trek and rebuilt this with R7000. The wheels are debadged Williams clinchers. I'm semi tempted to sell the carbon wheels and put the money into a fund for getting something with more endurance geometry and maybe disc brakes.

dy4tMAr.jpg

Weight ended up at like 18.5 lbs iirc
This could also fit 28s in most places but there's like no clearance between the brake bridge. It's honestly a little comical but ugh.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I just got my Domane a few pounds lighter. I weighed in at 202 this morning. ;)

Calling in sick tomorrow and doing a nice morning ride. :)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm 165 ish right now. Trying to get down to 155-160 in due time.

I'm off from work this week. Shooting for 200-250 miles for the week. 300-350 for the entire vacation but id be happy with even 250 tbh. Trying to get some climbing and hill repeats in.

I might end up racing collegiate again which is hilarious. I can still sprint (peak recorded at 1450 since starting again) but I'm just so weak overall that there's nothing left when things get hard.

Case in point, was promised sprint intervals and ended up they meant hard vo2max intervals. I broke before the line every time since one of them would jump early lol.

Kind of stupid to expect this much out of my body but I'm hoping I'm most of the way back to my old numbers by the spring (albeit 10lbs heavier).

Afaik my last threshold test in college was 270-280w. I'm maybe at 210-220 right now.

Sloooowww!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really bums me out that theres no great way to put 28s on it. They fit fine but it's impossible to get them on and off. Slightly easier with the tire totally deflated but I still have to whack it out and I don't like it. 25s require some finesse as well. I've actually considered cutting off a few mm of the dropout to make the process easier but that seems like too much.
:puzzled: :eek2:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Horizontal dropouts. The issue is that the tire hits the seat tube all the way forward in the dropout. Cutting the dropout before the start of the RD hangar would give 1-2 mm of clearance.

I also bought a carbon FD clamp because it's thinner than the Al one that I have. I don't care what it's made from.... but the additional clearance could make the difference between comfortably taking the 25's on and off.
25's are plenty cush with the steel frame and modern (i.e. wider) rims.

While I want a more 'racey' aero bike or whatnot, I have a feeling that my next bike is going to be a more 'gravel' oriented bike just to have a more relaxed position and clearance for wider tires. If the position is comparable, then speed doesn't really matter. I train by power anyway. I'd rather be comfortable. I really love the idea of not having to be concerned about every divot in the road. If I had something like 32-35s for tires, I wouldn't even notice...

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fit a gasket, and fill the stash with helium...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads