• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best TdF finish since Lemond-Fignon.
That was an utter demolition reversal over only 36.2km (and actually over only 4.1km), no ******* around at all. What a brilliant brilliant ride. Historic stuff.

Extra fun because two of my friends were in the same cycling club as Roblič. They’re of course sad for him but ecstatic that a Slovenian won.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Extra fun because two of my friends were in the same cycling club as Roblič. They’re of course sad for him but ecstatic that a Slovenian won.
The best rider won.

He beat every GC contender soundly in all the jersey categories (including Green), as the second-youngest winner ever. And, on a team FAR less powerful than J-V, with 2 stars out to boot. I'm not sure all of that has ever been done by a winner, but in any case surely rare and today/this Tour was truly remarkable.

Hats off to him.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best rider won.

He beat every GC contender soundly in all the jersey categories (including Green), as the second-youngest winner ever. And, on a team FAR less powerful than J-V, with 2 stars out to boot. I'm not sure all of that has ever been done by a winner, but in any case surely rare and today/this Tour was truly remarkable.

Hats off to him.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved the stage, and was cheering for both riders. I just thought it was oddly fitting that the only two Slovenians I’m friends with on Facebook (and my wife and I have visited them in Ljubljana) know Roblič well.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Yes, very nice.

It seems there is a lot more class among this era's young stars (and old ones, as Valverde is always gracious) than there was in -7's era....

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The integrated sensor finally came in. Very slick and the Wahoo picked them up immediately.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I actually canceled the order on that Litespeed. I'm an idiot and read the measurements wrong (product of being both tired and very trigger happy and bored), BUT, I ended up finding a 2000ish Eddy Merckx Majestic Ti frame for a great price...built by Litespeed to Merckx spec and geo, measurements look like my perfect size.

00000_erjgIoDXGac_1320MM_600x450.jpg

Attachments

• 00000_erjgIoDXGac_1320MM_600x450.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 16

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm probably getting carried away here.

I'm not sure what type of fork I will run, I'm thinking Columbus Minimal carbon, but im also toying with the idea of a vintage chrome fork with a threaded steerer.

What are your all thoughts on a steel chrome fork on a titanium bike? I found a NOS Merckx chrome on Ebay, correct steerer length for the headtube size and the stack height on a CK GripNut.

I kinda want to so the whole bike full silver.

For wheels, Profile Elite road hubs on Velocity A23 rims. I ******* love these hubs, especially the rear. Paul Comp polished skewers.

I really want to run White Industries cranks. I think im going to try to use their M30 cranks to fit the wider Italian bb. Polished. Probably opt for 1x. Probably try a 42. Looking at pairing with a Kogel outboard bb...not many options for Italian threads.

Brake wise. Would really love to use the Paul Comp Racers in polished, but that's a **** ton of cash, probably go with older Dura Ace.

Chris King headset.

I have a lot of time to think right now. Looking at making a fun build. Something pretty, something I can tinker with. Something timeless.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently joined my local bike co-op and will now have access to the whole kit and caboodle! I think I might be able to revive Orange Fury sooner than later! Yay for exciting times!

I might just do a revival 3x7 and get it running as a grocery getter. Focus on a fixed single gear when I find the right frame.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what type of fork I will run, I'm thinking Columbus Minimal carbon, but im also toying with the idea of a vintage chrome fork with a threaded steerer.
Columbus Minimal would be OK, a NOS or mint Reynolds Ouzo Pro (pref V3 with silver/blue graphics) even better. I believe O P was the stock spec fork. Or, a NOS/mint Serotta F fork, just as great as the Ouzo Pro (both designed by Lopez), but the Fs have a tad less clearance than the O P.

What are your all thoughts on a steel chrome fork on a titanium bike?
Imo it is an odd idea on that frameset, and will look out of place. But, many people do all kinds of weird stuff for fashion's sake these days, and often regret the decision not much later. Personally I wouldn't be a fan of threaded on that frameset either, but again to each their own.

One other option is painted carbon, to "match" the ti frame finish. Moots has done this (I have one of their (ENVE) painted forks on my Psychlo-X, it looks fine); the paint code is DuPont W9658 Platinum Metallic. The finish match is not perfect of course, but it certainly bonds with a ti frame better than a polished chrome fork does. Worth the $$$? Not imo.

My suggestion is the Reynolds Ouzo Pro or the Minimal or a Whisky even, and move on. Wound Up are fantastic forks, but very polarizing and also likely a bit stiff for that frame size. These Majestics, like all Merckx frames, were never meant to be dressed up dolls, but rather really practical tools, so my choice would be a fork that follows that character, and definitely not chrome threaded.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I appreciate it. I havent been able to find too many Ouzos in 1" unfortunately. I think the Minimal is probably the easiest option, but I have a long time until I'm home, so I'll just keep popping onto ebay, and I do like the idea of painting the fork.

I really dislike the look of the Wound Up forks, so I'm not going that route.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I'm just going to go with a ready-to-paint Columbus Minimal. $230 USD shipped to my door from the EU. Thats not bad. Sure, it'll cost some money to get it painted, but its okay. I always pick some project to work on in my head while I'm at work, if sanity costs a couple grand, so be it. :)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I appreciate it. I havent been able to find too many Ouzos in 1" unfortunately. I think the Minimal is probably the easiest option, but I have a long time until I'm home, so I'll just keep popping onto ebay, and I do like the idea of painting the fork.
Yes the 1" in good shape are harder to find these days. The Minimal is a much easier option, as is Ritchey Carbon Comp 1" (however, the Minimal is the better fork between those two imo), but since you say you have time you can look around a bit for a nice O P.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dislike the look of the Wound Up forks, so I'm not going that route.
:smile:...and...there we go right off the bat with the "polarizing"....! :wink:

(Wound Up are fantastic forks but I agree they really do have to be on the right frame. That said, every Seven or Scapin or Strong I have seen with a W U fork looks superb, especially back when W U made matching (very good) seatposts.)
My bias:

50373073521_69c5474d3d_o.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads