• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My majority of saddle time is going to my favorite beach front boozery.
Just need to slow the quick grab kooks down until I can wobble over and crane technique they ass...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Was there a website recently posted of an optometrist company based in Colorado maybe? Specializes in cycling, etc. glasses? Just got my eyes refracted today and need to order some prescription specs.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just watched LockPickingLawyer videos haha. Amazing

Reactions: otc

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love his stuff.

But the bike lock ones are always about the same. He gets out the special tool that he and bosnian bill made and picks the disc detainer core in 20 seconds.

I suspect that nobody in the history of bike thievery has every picked one of those... The 18v li-ion angle grinder doesn't really care if your chain is 7 or 8mm thick or if the lock mechanism is shimmable.

Basically if you can resist any one handed tool (like cable cutters) and most 2 handed bolt cutters, you are as safe as you are going to get. Anyone who is more skilled or tool equipped than that is going to get your bike if they want it bad enough... Just make sure you park it near a bike they want more.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The ANGi sensor on the new lid requires that the Specialized app be running (and tracking your location with GPS) in order to work. I think I am more likely to need my charged phone than I am to need to alert my wife that I've been knocked out, so it's pretty much useless to me.

I understand that they want those precious user data, but sensors need to connect to the head unit, not the phone.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new saddle for my Lobster showed up, but still nothing on the pedals (last tracking update was on the 9th).

F1128938-D7EE-43C1-9730-85354BD91D62.jpeg

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filled up the bag with emergency goodies today: tire patch kit w levers, CO2 pump with cartridges, coins. Cheap toe clips and straps for vintage looks as well.

Anddddd! got the evolution lock for 15% off and got my dad to help me hang my bikes!

The cruiser is so heavy and once I finish the middle bike, I’ll move it around but low key don’t want to because holes.

My OCD is twitching hard though

The radiator thermostat placement is not helping the cause; if the red bike goes below it, the middle bike won’t clear down because the cruiser is in the way.

If I move the middle bike slight to the right, I have no studs to bolt down.

Sigh.

F6E1F1F9-1C7C-432E-BFB3-471D63FDC803.jpeg
633AEEE1-6D64-4088-9D4E-C919D30A0F57.jpeg
D103A5EA-5AF2-4CFC-9ADA-634C422BC497.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Form follows function, my man. If that is where they need to go, that is where they need to go.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The office for my previous job is 23 miles from home in Foster City, and I would do that a couple of times per week. Return leg would either be riding to the Hillsdale Caltrain station or to the Millbrae BART station if I was feeling frisky. A few rides home after work into the afternoon headwinds made it clear to me that a full round-trip commute was not really for me. ?

When I was living in Britain, I had a commute that was 9 miles each way direct through the city, which I used to do every day, but in the warmer months I would do a much longer (and more hilly) ride in and out, up the coast and down some winding country lanes before hitting the city - about 18 miles each way. Then I'd do around 60 miles on Saturday with the club and sometimes a hefty solo ride on the Sunday (or a race).

I used to treat the longer ride as proper training and really wind it up, and this resulted in the only serious crash I've ever had where coming off a roundabout at around 35mph, I was distracted by a driver who narrowly avoided cutting me off and clipped a curb that was protruding a little further into the road than I expected. I flew over the bars and the bike then flew over me. Somehow I managed an instinctive judo breakfall and only ended up breaking something in my right hand (there was still quite a bit of blood) and totalling my helmet. I was lying in the bus lane for quite a while with drivers doing their best to pretend not to see me so they wouldn't have to stop and help. Eventually a lovely woman did stop, cleaned me up, and got me and the bike to the university. I got changed carefully, taught my morning class, then decided I wasn't feeling too good, went to the hospital and was diagnosed with concussion and told to go home... But most of the time the commute was completely uneventful.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was living in Britain, I had a commute that was 9 miles each way direct through the city, which I used to do every day, but in the warmer months I would do a much longer (and more hilly) ride in and out, up the coast and down some winding country lanes before hitting the city - about 18 miles each way. Then I'd do around 60 miles on Saturday with the club and sometimes a hefty solo ride on the Sunday (or a race).

I used to treat the longer ride as proper training and really wind it up, and this resulted in the only serious crash I've ever had where coming off a roundabout at around 35mph, I was distracted by a driver who narrowly avoided cutting me off and clipped a curb that was protruding a little further into the road than I expected. I flew over the bars and the bike then flew over me. Somehow I managed an instinctive judo breakfall and only ended up breaking something in my right hand (there was still quite a bit of blood) and totalling my helmet. I was lying in the bus lane for quite a while with drivers doing their best to pretend not to see me so they wouldn't have to stop and help. Eventually a lovely woman did stop, cleaned me up, and got me and the bike to the university. I got changed carefully, taught my morning class, then decided I wasn't feeling too good, went to the hospital and was diagnosed with concussion and told to go home... But most of the time the commute was completely uneventful.

Did you get her number?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I managed to avoid any incidents despite riding down Market Street every day. The biggest menaces to cyclists on that major bike-commuting thoroughfare were the bus drivers and rail tracks. At least one driver made a habit of angling his bus to across the lane between the sidewalk and pedestrian island at stoplights to prevent cyclists from filtering through. I had words with him on multiple occasions...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hit by a pickup truck in March 2005 while riding to work. I was coming over an overpass over the freeway (San Tomas Expressway over US 101 for those in the Bay Area).

The driver cut across a double white line trying to get into the turn lane after coming off the freeway. He was a cyclist and wasrightly horrified at what he’d done. He gave me a ride to work and his insurance covered the damage. I had some road rash (as did my bike) and a broken helmet, along with a busted digital camera in my messenger bag.

I missed ten minutes of work.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
So uh,
Drunk TV gave Sober TV a present.
A set of DT Swiss "Equalizer" rims with Shimano hubs/discs and Maxxis tires.

Thanks? They better fit. . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads