• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want to do any of the minor adjustments and maintenance on your carbon bike, you will want to adhere to the torque specs. Lots of people claim to have that calibrated elbow, but a torque wrench is cheap insurance against overtorquing, possibly stripping threads or creating a stress fracture. I like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M12284X/ (you'll need sockets in the common sizes on your bike)

Multi-tool: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0768N5642/ (includes chain tool and four sizes of spoke wrench)

For the helmet, MIPS (and POC's equivalent) seems worth the price bump.

Clothes: If you're price sensitive, the mid-price Pearl Izumi bibs available at your local sporting goods emporium are a solid bet. The chamois is good for multi-hour rides, and mine have been durable, approaching 100 rides/washes and still in great condition. If you're prepared to spend some coin, my CAT1/2 friends swear by Velocio's bibs. For jerseys, I like TwinSix (https://www.twinsix.com/collections/mens-tops) which they offer in solids and more adventurous styles; and a cheap option is the Black Bibs (https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop?category=Men's Apparel)

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, what am I leaving out for my list of merc?

Shoes, cleats, pedals (done)
Helmet
Clothes (this is StyFo, right?)
Cycling computer
Lights
Floor pump
Chain cleaner, cog brush, degreaser, lube
Multi tool, chain tool, tubes, patch kit to include tire levers, CO2

I'm sure other things will come up but that should get me going without leaving me in the lurch I figure.
Sooner or later, you'll want/need a mechanic's stand.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Here it is. As it will most likely stay.
The "black bike".
DSC_4403.JPG
DSC_4405.JPG
DSC_4410.JPG
DSC_4417.JPG
DSC_4409.JPG
DSC_4418.JPG
DSC_4414.JPG
DSC_4413.JPG
DSC_4406.JPG
DSC_4416.JPG
This is a dream build. A bespoke BMX.

Frame: 2000 Schwinn Pro stock team.
(painted in a Nissan Color GMG Silhouette/Troy Lee sticker kit)
Fork: Snafu Cro-mo -Brown/gold metallic
Bars: Primo "Moes Bars?" chopped
Stem: Snafu
Grips: Animal Edwin Delarosa's
Cranks: Haro Fusion 3-pce with Snafu wheel
Pedals:STLN Thermalite
Seat:Odyssey Concorde (period correct)
Brakes:Shimano DX
Hubs:Shimano DX
Rims: F/ Sun BFR -R/Sun Ditch witch. Black spokes, stainless nipples.
Tires: Maxxis Holy Rollers.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Sweet bike, TV, but where you dig up that chain? Your vegetable garden?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Typhoons will do that. ;)
But i think this bad boy deserves a GP Chain. for flexin'

You can see from the scratches and grips. That bike has been my steed for a long time.
It's MY bike.

Will most likely heirloom it to my son.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That torque wrench is a great suggestion and I just ordered it. An extensive socket set is one of those things I considered "required" for any homeowner so I've already got that part taken are of.

Dug an old box out of the shelves in the garage. Discoveries included a 30 year old Topeak multi-tool with chain breaker, equally old tire patch kit but with a $20 and two quarters inside it, because back then, cell phones were too bulky to go riding with and every gas station and corner store in the small towns I'd ride through had a pay phone. I think I might still have my mechanics stand somewhere too.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A torque wrench is a necessity for small parts these days.

For small 4, 5, 6Nm there are fixed wrenches, such as by Park, etc, but the cost adds ups. For a much more versatile, better tool, for small 1/4" bits buy the excellent, lifelong, calbrated 2 - 8 NM CDI TORQCONTROL ADJUSTABLE TORQUE WRENCH - TLA28NM. Less expensive and better than a Park or Pedro's etc adjustable. There is no better small torque wrench for the cost. It is really excellent, small, comfortable, accurate. and will accept any 1/4" bit of course. I use my CDI with PB Swiss bits which came the PB Swiss multi-tool, very light and handy for a saddle-bag.

I don't think torque wrenches are really that necessary for larger (20-40nm) loads, but in those cases a decent beam or ratcheting (clicker) t wrench will suffice. If you can find a very good/mint Sears ratcheting, in 3/8"-1/2", those are fantastic, incredibly durable, and very inexpensive these days. Made when tools were built to last.

That Topeak multi-tool is fine, no need to upgrade there.

A good workstand is really worth it, for maintenance work and for general cleaning. If your old one is up to the task, great. If not, Feedback Sports are great, any Park is also good. Neither break the bank for occasional use, and will be sturdy. A flimsy stand is a complete waste.

Also handy is one of these Park Handlebar holders or similar, for stabilizing h-bars while cabling, adjusting derailleurs/brakes, cleaning, etc:
View attachment 1441503
For a basic cleaner, skip the pricier "bicycle-specific" cleaning concoctions; they do nothing better than Dawn detergent, which is a very good de-greaser, is bio-degradeable, already lives in your kitchen, etc. Dawn, a bucket, a sponge or two, a good variety of brushes, good rinsing, and a few clean rag towels all work perfectly well. Frequent cleaning is much less a hassle, and better all around.

Instead, do buy good lube and grease.

Buy the helmet brand/model that fits you properly, before you buy MIPS etc.
The old saying, regarding shoes, bibs, saddles, helmets, glasses:
"Fit, fit, fit for your bits, bits, bits."

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clothes (this is StyFo, right?)
Clothes: If you're price sensitive, the mid-price Pearl Izumi bibs available at your local sporting goods emporium are a solid bet.
sugarbutch is right: Pearl Izumi is good value.

But, do not ever buy/wear the PI Marvel Comics jersey unless you can also do this ;-):

V Wooten loves wearing cycling jerseys on stage.

Voler is also excellent value; Santini is excellent quality/fit/design I like for years. But, subjective topic.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to ride once I finish up this jail sentence. ?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Even back in the 90s, when I was actually proud of my physique, I never liked the way Izumi fit me and never really found pieces big enough to accommodate me. Right now I need to find some road jerseys that don't hug my gut!

I'll be picking up some Bontrager stuff to optimize my downtube storage spot.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
downtube storage spot.

Cool concept! The wonder if they did any reinforcement to the tube in that area to make up for the void, or if they determined that it had no impact on the strength of the frame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads