• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Dara (and I'm sure many others) makes an actual holster that clamps on to the bike frame. Seems like a terrible idea to me. Which really isn't a "concealed" carry anyway. You might as well mount a turret between the handlebars.

I carried a small single stack .380 (my typical carry if I do during the summer) when I went last weekend because I'd never been there before and it's in a relatively rural area. I had it in my backpack, which I didn't like too much either. I don't like not having control of it on my body. But, you also have to consider something that is drop safe for if and when you fall. I haven't started looking into it in depth yet, but I know that some companies (like 5.11, probably) make "tacticool" belly band type holsters that I think are often used for jogging. I suppose you could always use a standard shoulder holster or a high-retention hip holster, but I expect that would be very uncomfortable.
Those are some decent ideas. I was thinking pocket holster and stuff the whole thing in a back jersey pocket but was worried about security during falls.

the trail I would ride is 45 miles through the middle of Everglades nowhere where alligator spotting is a virtual certainty at some point, so...I’d feel much better strapped

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes...?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of gravel bikes, one of my local shops had one of the limited edition Specialized Sequoia Merz bikes and I desperately wanted it. It was basically everything I was building my bike into at the time...but better.
1597371153944.png

Steel frame with carbon fork, clearance for huge tires, hydraulic disc brakes, sram 1X drivetrain.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So did you buy it?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well no, because I was in the shop for something related to the bike I was already building and had already bought most of the parts for....

Weather forecast has cleared up...so I'm going on a weekend MTB trip!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I spent today working on a few of the bikes, shuffling parts around so each bike is optimal. not finished yet.
and am online shopping for parts right now.

Working on bikes, then riding them to the shop or anywhere truly is one of the simplest joys in life.

@vdubiv The closest current model to my bike is this one:

But if i was buying new, just to size up from BMX as a bike to ride around town, to the local bar,etc and maybe hit a trail from time to time?
It would be this one:

If you can get a similar bike? (even from a different company) such good fun. Feels comfortable, like being a hoodlum again. ripping up the streets and dirt paths.. .
I'll do a write up on the "Corona bike" when it's almost done.

But tomorrow i will write up on it's predecessor. The "Black bike". and it will all make sense.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, I now own a bike.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
They only have a 56 Domane in stock and that was clearly too big for me. They have 54 and 52 Checkpoints, their gravel bike, and the fit is exceedingly close. I seem to be between sizes but they have a 52 and 54 Domane arriving in the next few weeks in my colour combo. My name is on both of them and we'll pick the size when they arrive.

Btw, they are doing crazy business. COVID has been awesome for bike sales.

DomaneSL5_20_28311_B_Portrait

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Sweet! You may find that putting a longer stem on the smaller bike will get you to the sweet spot.

I finally got mine pretty dialed in and have really been enjoying it the last couple of weeks. Last year I bought a used Specialized Roubaix SL4 with full Di2 Ultegra (that at some point I misrepresented on here as being Dura-Ace, mea culpa). It’s been decades since I’ve had a bike that I really enjoyed riding - my last bike was a commuter hybrid that did not spark nearly as much joy.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Btw, they are doing crazy business. COVID has been awesome for bike sales.

Folks in the bike industry will be talking about the Great Bike Shortage of 2020 for decades to come. My nephew works in a bike shop in VT that is absolutely hopping - they can’t keep any bikes in stock. They even sold off their rental fleet.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Will they include a full fitting? Downside of buying a used bike, I was quoted a couple of bills for a fitting at a local shop and have been winging it on my own, and I’m sure it could be improved on.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Also in short supply: kayaks, SUP boards, ****** and above ground pools.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads