• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s been a long time for me since I bought a bike, but I always thought 105 was the lowest level great groupset. Like most people are very happy with it and everything above it is past the point of diminishing returns

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Looks like wheels/hubs are the other major difference between them. Even forks, seat posts, and seats are the same. SL 5 is 2.8k, SL 6 3.7k. SL 5 has the actual colour I want, a much deeper red than the SL 6.

DomaneSL5_20_28311_B_Portrait

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, the top three tiers of Shimano mechanical groupsets are pretty much Lego, so you could upgrade
Looks like wheels/hubs are the other major difference between them. Even forks, seat posts, and seats are the same. SL 5 is 2.8k, SL 6 3.7k. SL 5 has the actual colour I want, a much deeper red than the SL 6.

DomaneSL5_20_28311_B_Portrait
This might be heretical, but I think if you aren't racing or participating in competitive group rides, a few more ounces here and there, marginal frictional and aero gains don't really make much of a difference. I like having a decently light bike, but if I'm really concerned about the weight, etc., of my bike, I'd be better off skipping dessert for a month. Plus, beyond the sheer enjoyment of riding, the purpose for me is to get some exercise. Pulling an extra pound or two of bicycle up the hill is just more training benefit, right? If the darker red will inspire you to ride the bike more, then the choice seems obvious to me.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
The colour combo I really want is the Domane SL 5 which comes with the 105 group set. It's also about $800 less. Thoughts on just getting the 105 and upgrading at some point? Frames are the same, haven't got over other components yet for comparison.
Get the color and frame you want. It will still do the job. And save you money.
Winning.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ piobaire:
I agree with sugarbutch.

1) Bicycles and components have gotten MUCH lighter over the years, and yet people still go down the weight weenies rabbit hole as if any "upgrades" will really make a whit of difference to 99% of the population.

2) Between those two models the cost/gram (saved) ratio is really absurdly bad, not worth it at all especially if you prefer the SL 5 color. Save the $900 for better investments...

3) ...Campagnolo. ;-)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Dang, Piob got me looking at a red bike now.
DSC_4358.JPG
This crimson Fuji is a fresher build bike than my early 2000's Norco. Damn you Piob!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Agree with all of the above. For common mortals it's way more about the engine than the bike and the cheapest grams are off the engine. I'm not a weight weeny given even 25 years ago when I was super fit and cycling 250-300 miles a week I still weighed in at 195. I could crush it all day on the flats, proj up smaller climbs like no one's business, but real climbing? Yeah, me and Super Mario feel the same way about that.

Also agree the 105 is adequate, particularly these days, and when you think the last time I road my Ultegra back then probably doesn't hold a candle to today's 105. I sorta like the better wheels and discs on the Ultegra but that can come later.

Now, just need to have the local Trek store contact me. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday and you fill in a webform for an appointment. If they don't get back to me today or tomorrow I'll give them one more try then figure I'll be buying off the web.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at gravel bikes lately. I want something that is a good balance where I can ride it on the streets and not worry to much about road quality, and also hit some dirt roads / mild trails.
Found a place that carries Specialized bikes near where we are about to move.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something modern like my Norco. Rides like a BMX with comfort mode.
Never heard of them before, but a quick glance they look good. I'm more leaning towards something that can be purchased local so I can get fit properly, and hoping the shop offers service. I looked into Canyon bikes before, and they are an awesome bang for the buck, but then one would need to find someone to service it, and not charge an arm and a leg because it wasn't bought from their shop.
There's also a Trek dealer not far from where I'm going too.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a side note I can get a Super deal on Bianchi bikes locally right now, but just feel weird about buying a bike today when the movers come to pack my house Monday.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
What are your riding roots? and where do you want to go?

I am on this path as an expired BMX'r.
Sizing up.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your riding roots? and where do you want to go?

I am on this path as an expired BMX'r.
Sizing up.
I grew up mostly riding BMX, some park, some dirt jumps, mostly terrorizing the streets lol.
Did some mountain biking for a bit,
Haven't really ridden a bike in like almost 20 years. Thinking about getting back into it.
Not really sure where I want to go, the local bar maybe? ?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Few things:

1) Bikes have gotten lighter, yes, but with the advent of disc brakes on most bikes the weights of stuff is stagnant slash going up a hair. Wider tires and disc brakes add a fair bit of weight. Definite benefits over rim brakes but rim brake bikes speced the same will be lighter by .5-1lb normally.

2) The differences between Ultegra R8000 and 105 R7000 are primarily in weight and finish. The current gen of 105 R7000 is essentially equivalent to Ultegra R8000 after the last upgrade. The rear derailleur and front derailleur are worlds better than the previous gen. FWIW I used to race on DA7800 back in the day and think the new R7000 is better in terms of performance. The DA7800 weighed about 1.5 or so lbs less so my current bike would be about 16.5-17lbs with that vs the 18 or so with R7000. Not that big of a deal though.

3) Re piobs decision.
I agree re saving the 900 bucks. If anything, I would see if the shop can upgrade the wheels and tires on the bike if you want to spend more. That's the biggest performance change you'll see. They might give you credit for the wheels on the bike now, but I 100% recommend this being your first upgrade for the bike. ie wheels/tires.
-I will say that sram is lighter and you could always have a bike built up to your spec, but you'd pay the LBS a decent amount to do that.

4) I would usually recommend looking at used bikes as well but honestly right now prices are ridic.

Side note:

I stopped riding for 10 years and just started up again. I bought a bike (Ghost nivolet Al) on craigslist with 105-5800. I have an old 80's trek frame that I've had for almost 14 years. So I bought and R7000 group for 500 bucks, swapped the 5800 on the trek and the R7000 on the Ghost.

This is the result:

heGpp8A.jpg

PgE39dL.jpg

-Trek weighs about 20-21lbs. I've actually toyed with the idea of swapping the 5800 back on the ghost and selling it. I like the trek that much that I'd almost rather just have that... and put the money towards a bike with discs that can take wider tires.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Hard tail for sure. we don't have the same needs as "Road guys".
My Coronabike is built to shred a mountain trail.
DSC_3051.JPG
I mean, you want to shred. either short distance, or down a walking trail? So you will hover your weight over the center of the bike. BMX guys want a bigger ,lighter BMX with travel.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads