• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I've completed a couple of different online fit calculators and it seems a 54 cm should fit. I just hate to make a purchase of this price without hands on professional help but it seems if I want a bike this year I'll probably buy online. I'm looking at the Trek Domane now too.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Weird, maybe it will work?

If you're going to end up ordering online, you should really look at some of the d2c brands.

Mostly Canyon, but also others like polygon, spot, fezzari. Obed has a pretty neat looking gravel bike.

They typically end up being a great deal and giving you a step up in parts for the same price.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Decided definitely not a gravel and going with one of the current crop of endurance. Agree on the pricing for D2C bikes but what happens when you need service? The Trek shop not too far from the casa gives a free fit, free post break-in tuneup, and free adjustments for life on top of 15% off any purchases, like parts and apparel, that goes on top of any manufacturer's discounts too.

I have seen nothing but good said about the Canyon during my research.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aaah, Canyon.

This is ridiculously priced but one day will be mine:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aaah, Canyon.

This is ridiculously priced but one day will be mine:

Is there anywhere to ride that in Miami?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, going to see this bad boy next weekend (I hope.) Seems like a good bike for an old man that just wants to do miles. Domane SL 6.

DomaneSL6_20_28313_B_Portrait

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Damn, there sure are a bunch of toys to blow loads of $$ on now. Then again $130 in 2020 dollars for a good cycling computer that includes tempo (Domane has built in spot for the sensor) and heart rate monitor plus all downloadable? Yeah, this is a rabbit hole...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Flat dirt trails :laugh:

Go for this then?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s nice too. Tbh what I probably need is an e-MTB like the Specialized Turbo series. The trails are loooong (30-40 miles) and I’ve not really had the endurance for it. And trail biking is the only thing I feel comfortable doing because South FL drivers have just gone out of control. So the road bike’s mostly retired or on park duty.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Canyon while nice would be pretty wasted on flat Florida trails, but to each their own.

On to the drivers:
I ride PCH (road bicycle) in LA regularly, for years.
It's scary bad, especially recently, north to the canyons.

I rode some roads (road bicycle) in SoFla when I visited friends a few years ago.
It was much worse.
Never again. Those drivers are frightening, absolutely nuts.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Flat dirt trails :laugh:

To be fair, one of the most popular MTB youtubers got his start in the Miami area.

That said, I think he started getting pretty desperate for content before he moved to North Carolina:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The colour combo I really want is the Domane SL 5 which comes with the 105 group set. It's also about $800 less. Thoughts on just getting the 105 and upgrading at some point? Frames are the same, haven't got over other components yet for comparison.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The colour combo I really want is the Domane SL 5 which comes with the 105 group set. It's also about $800 less. Thoughts on just getting the 105 and upgrading at some point? Frames are the same, haven't got over other components yet for comparison.
See if you can get a test ride on a bike with 105. If you don't notice/care about the difference, then get it. I have 105, and I don't find myself wishing I had a better groupset.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You probably won’t notice a difference unless you’re really hard on your shifters. I have Ultegra Di2 on my road bike and SRAM Force on my cyclocross rig. I actually like SRAM more, but the Shimano stuff works very well. My previous road bike had 105, and that was very good as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads