• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Speaking of size, anyone have a link for a good sizing calculator? Been so long I don't even remember what size my last road bike was.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of size, anyone have a link for a good sizing calculator? Been so long I don't even remember what size my last road bike was.
There is no "better" one, really. There are many online ("bicycle sizing calculator") and they all 1) start with one's inseam; 2) will vary some by bicycle type (mtb/road/e-bike...); 3) all result in approximations, nothing more.

One can start from them, but the resulting recommended size will be a gross number at best. For some purposes that may be fine (or just actually try some bicycles at your lbs), but for more specific use, especially road/tri/long-distance, more specific fitting is really necessary.

There are so many other variables, between body measurements, preferred riding style/terrain/use, differing brand approaches to frame geometry, and ultimate body-interface component choices (crankarm length, stem/bars, and saddle position) that a general-purpose sizing calculator is fairly useless, when certainly cm and even mm really matter.

For basic road bicycle fit starting point, I think the Guimard/Lemond method is still fairly respected. But, still really only an approximation.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no "better" one, really. There are many online ("bicycle sizing calculator") and they all 1) start with one's inseam; 2) will vary some by bicycle type (mtb/road/e-bike...); 3) all result in approximations, nothing more.

One can start from them, but the resulting recommended size will be a gross number at best. For some purposes that may be fine (or just actually try some bicycles at your lbs), but for more specific use, especially road/tri/long-distance, more specific fitting is really necessary.

There are so many other variables, between body measurements, preferred riding style/terrain/use, differing brand approaches to frame geometry, and ultimate body-interface component choices (crankarm length, stem/bars, and saddle position) that a general-purpose sizing calculator is fairly useless, when certainly cm and even mm really matter.

For basic road bicycle fit starting point, I think the Guimard/Lemond method is still fairly respected. But, still really only an approximation.

The rider’s physiology plays a big role as well. How flexible, how strong, and any lingering injuries can all play roles in how best to fit a bike. A calculator can approximate the fit, but only an experienced and well-trained bike fitter can determine proper fit.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rider’s physiology plays a big role as well. How flexible, how strong, and any lingering injuries can all play roles in how best to fit a bike. A calculator can approximate the fit, but only an experienced and well-trained bike fitter can determine proper fit.
Yes, as stated above.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This is all sounding very expensive. How do people go to Target and buy bikes?

(FWIW I was just looking at a frame size spreadsheet. I've gone through a couple professional fittings but that was back in the 90s. I'm not looking to optimize my aero position or shave seconds off in a crit. I just want to be comfy on my new Synapse Carbon 105.)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(FWIW I was just looking at a frame size spreadsheet. I've gone through a couple professional fittings but that was back in the 90s. I'm not looking to optimize my aero position or shave seconds off in a crit. I just want to be comfy on my new Synapse Carbon 105.)
They go to Target and straddle a bicycle.
If their inseam clears the toptube (anywhere on a level (horizontal) tt, or at the high point (would be at the head tube on a sloping tt, ie the "virtual" horizontal tt)) by ~2" / 5cm, they buy the bicycle.

But, I do not understand now your question:
do you already have a Synapse?
Or are you looking to buy one? If the latter, why not simply go to any Cannondale dealer and test ride one? That beats any sizing chart.

Any reputable bicycle dealer can put you on a few bicycles, look at you, and gauge your general size, for free. Some may have a fitting-specific "size cycle", like a Lemond, Serotta, etc. device, but that usually involves a true fit session, and may cost from $40-$100 for complete fit recommendations

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I went to a shop once that had a laser scanning system, but it was really just a fancy way to take your measurements. I think there are fancier versions that do a dynamic measurement....but the real value add is probably if they have a good database of frame sizes to compare to...but many of those are more about buying a new bike that matches a position you are already comfortable with. If you don't have a current bike and your body hasn't gotten used to a riding position since it has been a while...they won't be as helpful.

There's a possibility that the Synapse Carbon geometry just isn't quite right for you...that you can't know for sure without sitting on one.

In reality, most people just buy a bike that fits close enough. Those who know will go back for fine tuning of the fit (swap out a stem/saddle/post/bars/etc.)...those who really care will pay some fit guru to go through all of that with them, but you can get most of the way there without some $350/hr fit studio appointment.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And like I mentioned above, if you haven't been riding at all...your body will probably change in the first few months of ownership. You'll probably limber up, become more comfortable with a lower bar position, etc.

Extensive fit effort today would be wasted.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too many bikes. Took advantage of the COVID buying frenzy to list this old friend. Had just been collecting dust since finishing my last build so I tuned it up, replaced a bad tire, and gave her a good wash/wax.

1990s Specialized Epic Pro (I think--hard to find this exact model online)

2020-06-23 18.12.32.jpg
2020-06-23 18.13.08.jpg
2020-06-23 18.07.47.jpg

Funky old-school design with carbon tubes attached to aluminum lugs. Not sure exactly what year, but they made these in the early 90s. Had 600 Ultegra components with STI levers which would say no older than 1992. Rear drivetrain was upgraded to 9sp Ultegra at some point. Everything was in great shape except the front shifter which occasionally sticks...

Funny drop bars that added an extra aero position down low, which was apparently UCI legal for a brief period but then banned.

The feeding frenzy is real. I ran by a local bike shop to try to get some junk platform pedals for test rides and their bike racks were almost entirely empty and they didn't have any plastic take-offs to give me (lucked out and the used shop up the street gave me a nice vintage metal set for $5)

Generated a ton of interest on craigslist alone and sold it in less than 24 hours to someone who was brand new to road bikes and didn't know how to shift STI levers. Probably could have upped the price and offered it on multiple platforms, but I mostly wanted it gone.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Holy crap! Bike Nashbar is still in business? I can remember calling their 1-800 number to order out of the catalogue.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy crap! Bike Nashbar is still in business? I can remember calling their 1-800 number to order out of the catalogue.
Did they come back?

I thought they got bought out by performance, which then went bankrupt and closed everything down.

I do remember flipping through those catalogs as a kid though.

edit, looks like some other ecommerce company bought the names--both performance and nashbar have the exact same website in different color schemes it seems.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What's the spot for clothing, accessories, etc. these days?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
https://www.theclymb.com/ Was pretty good for a while, but I haven't shopped there recently and COVID is probably messing everything up.

https://www.gearscan.com/ watches a bunch of deal sites and has a search feature, but most of the cycling specific deal sites have long since gone out of business so I suspect this site is now worthless as it is basically just a front end for Steep & Cheap (Backcountry.com's discount site)

Activejunky.com is a legit cashback site for a bunch of outdoor retailers. Sometimes the cashback % can get pretty high--in the 10-12% range, and that applies to already discounted merchandise/coupons/etc. I always check it before buying any outdoor stuff because it is almost always >0%. Competitive Cyclist is 10% right now, Backcountry is 8% (and steep and cheap is 6%)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they come back?

I thought they got bought out by performance, which then went bankrupt and closed everything down.

I do remember flipping through those catalogs as a kid though.

edit, looks like some other ecommerce company bought the names--both performance and nashbar have the exact same website in different color schemes it seems.
Correct.

Nashbar was first bought out by the Performance Bikes parent company ASI (owned by ASE) and still operated as brick/mortar store as well as online. ASE then went bankrupt and AMain bought both the Nashbar and Performance trademarks/names only, and continued the brands as online e-commerce only, no b/m stores any more.

One for the good ol' dayz:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics