• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Fell for the first (and subsequent second) time yesterday for the first time using the Ergo 2 + Speedplay Zeroes.. trying to go uphill with a rubbing brake, and misaligned derailleur after the first fall.

Yippee.
shog[1].gif

as the saleslady told me when I visited my LBS a few months back a few days after falling and hitting my knee on a rock that left a good part of my knee skinless, "congratulations, now you're a biker!"

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Fell for the first (and subsequent second) time yesterday for the first time using the Ergo 2 + Speedplay Zeroes.. trying to go uphill with a rubbing brake, and misaligned derailleur after the first fall.

Yippee.
shog[1].gif

Wait until you roll to a stop, unclip one side and then fall to the other side.
It'll feel like it's all happening in slow motion.
Best to do it in front of an audience so at least some one gets some amusement value out of it.

GekkoHQ

Reaction score
What are the Ergo 2's like? Do the carbon soles make a huge different? That sounds like quite a nice first fall. My one was at the top of a mountain climb in Mallorca. Was riding an 11km of climb with my brother. As we got to the last hairpin with a steep almost sheer drop on the outside, my bro snagged my handle bars as he came past. I swerved, hit the barrier at about 11 miles per hour and went straight over the handle bars. My feet unclipped and left the bikeon one side, but I tumbled over the top of the barrier and only managed to catch it with my arm to stopp me falling down the rocky slope. Blood everywhere thanks to the metal barrier cutting my side and arm, broken helmet and ripped jersey, but the bike was completely unscratched. Pretty lucky I think. After that we still had 30 miles to ride home... >
frown.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Wait until you roll to a stop, unclip one side and then fall to the other side.
It'll feel like it's all happening in slow motion.
Best to do it in front of an audience so at least some one gets some amusement value out of it.

That almost happens to me all of the time but luckily I usually make it out of the other side...I feel like it is even worse with toe clips since twisting out seems to flow more naturally than pulling backwards

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Mounted a fender on my bike last night. Just one - the front. Didn't have time to do both, and I realized I need to cut the fender stays as there is too much tire clearance towards the rear of the front wheel, meaning not a whole lot of toe clearance for feet. I may have to buy a bolt cutter to cut the stays, as I don't really feel like using a hacksaw. I don't even know my hacksaw made it to the suburbs.

Originally Posted by dopey
Used a dremel to cut the stays. Worked fine.

Finally got around to mounting the rear fender Saturday night. These fender stays are also bit long so the rear fender sits higher off the wheel than it needs to, but not enough to make me have to cut them like on the front fender. I'll decide later if I want to bother.

In any event, went for a quick spin yesterday before spending the day with one of the kids.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RatherAnOddball
Yeah, I have a question.
sly.gif

Why do you people always ride your bicycles in the road even when there's a sidewalk right there? Why not just use the sidewalk? Why make me have to slow my car down and dip into the wrong lane? The sidewalk is there for you; it wants you. Why do you hate sidewalks?
sneaky2.gif

You are so ******* stupid.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I would rant a bit.

At our condo we have a number of large bike racksin the garage. They are filled with all sorts of bikes--new and old, nice and not-so-nice, road and mtn, etc.

Well, it's very crowded and people don't take as much care as they should. My wife pulled her bike out yesterday and we went to the farmers' market and back. On the way back, coming up a long hill (we were walking), I noticed that my wife's front axel quick release was pointing down--not the best position for it. So I go to loosen it and turn it around only to discover that it's completely loose. That means we went down that big hill, with her front tire ready to fall off.

She's nowhere nearly experienced enough to look for something like that and I only happened to see it. Thank the gawds she rides slowly. So to the people in my condo: pay some attention and take a little care when taking your bikes in and out of the over-crowded racks. Thanks.

b

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
jeesh- thats a highly probable face plant right there. she's lucky the wheel didn't fly off.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we'll have to be more careful and pay attention to those sorts of things. Frankly, I'd been pissed that deraileurs (sp?) etc were getting banged up. A couple weeks back I seemd to be skipping a ring in the back when I changed gears, but it turns out I wasn't. Not sure what it was, but it's stopped. All because the racks are over-filled and people don't take enough care.

Anyone know of alternative commercial rack systems? I'll have to do a search.

b

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to find something other than Chuck's to ride in, the soles have become soft & the pedals are starting to dig in. Maybe something on STP?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bris,

I just bought a pair of Sidi's, and I have been avoiding that brand because of the 'bike bling' factor that goes along with the brand, but after trying a pair on and having used it in a very grueling trail over the weekend I must say the fit and weight of the Sidi's I bought is just awesome. They are worth the premium imo.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to go ahead and agree with acidic here - in my case, the Ergo 2s (purchased from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK) are worth the price of admission. I have the flattest possible feet one can have; I overpronate severely. As such, I have orthotics for all of my shoes with the exception of athletic.. mostly because I'd only play a bit of baskbetball at a time or whatever, never extended on-foot exercise. I have thin ankles as well. All this considered, I have what you might call a difficult to fit foot. The Ergo 2's adjustment ability successfully combats all of this. I added some Specialized footbeds as well for added comfort and I must say.. they're great. Sadly, they crease in the same place all of my shoes do (instep) which detracts a bit from their blingy aesthetic but overall, I dig. I'd also thought the patent vernice material was just another .. "look at me" quality of the shoe but it's turned out to be particularly handy for cleaning grime/grease off of. It's obvious that thought was put into every aspect of these shoes and I understand why they're so hyped. If you can swing it, get them.. well worth it.

Be careful though - full carbon sole + missing your clipless pedal = literally, and I'm serious, ice-skating.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Bris,

I just bought a pair of Sidi's, and I have been avoiding that brand because of the 'bike bling' factor that goes along with the brand, but after trying a pair on and having used it in a very grueling trail over the weekend I must say the fit and weight of the Sidi's I bought is just awesome. They are worth the premium imo.

Going to go ahead and agree with acidic here - in my case, the Ergo 2s (purchased from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK) are worth the price of admission. I have the flattest possible feet one can have; I overpronate severely. As such, I have orthotics for all of my shoes with the exception of athletic.. mostly because I'd only play a bit of baskbetball at a time or whatever, never extended on-foot exercise. I have thin ankles as well. All this considered, I have what you might call a difficult to fit foot. The Ergo 2's adjustment ability successfully combats all of this. I added some Specialized footbeds as well for added comfort and I must say.. they're great. Sadly, they crease in the same place all of my shoes do (instep) which detracts a bit from their blingy aesthetic but overall, I dig. I'd also thought the patent vernice material was just another .. "look at me" quality of the shoe but it's turned out to be particularly handy for cleaning grime/grease off of. It's obvious that thought was put into every aspect of these shoes and I understand why they're so hyped. If you can swing it, get them.. well worth it.

Be careful though - full carbon sole + missing your clipless pedal = literally, and I'm serious, ice-skating.

Not going clipless gents, I'm keeping it all the way old school.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Not going clipless gents, I'm keeping it all the way old school.

Some cycling shoes are still made to go cliplessless. My ancient shimano branded shoes spent their early lives without cleats on the bottom (I actually had to take a knife and cut open the rubber sole that covered the cleat holes). It still gives you a stiff sole and much better power transfer...somebody must still make shoes like this. I would look more on the mountain-oriented side than the road side though for shoes like this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads