• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went out in the afternoon yesterday, trying to beat an incoming storm. I was not successful. I even stopped road side to wait it out because the wind picked up enough that I couldn't see. Reminded me of FL when you get a crazy thunderstorm every afternoon, then clears right up.

Another plug for Gore Tex Infinium (same WB fabric that the CHPT 3 jacket's made from). That stuff is magic. Almost 100% water-proof but the magic lies in its ability to breath. It works better than any other waterproof breathable membrane type system. No taped seams so it's not truly waterproof but more than adequate. The only unknown at this point is if the DWR coating wears off eventually and stops working. But so far (2 seasons) it's held up well. Gets a ton of use in the shoulder seasons and I wash it after almost every use.

I picked this Castelli version on sale and happens to still be discounted.
I’ll check it out. Stopped in Georgetown on the waterfront for crab cake and a beer now. 32 miles yesterday, 25 today. Very wet from rain but it’s so hot and humid here rain gear is counterproductive.

Party boats anchored and tied off in the Potomac. Grills swing out off sterns.

IMG_8462.jpeg IMG_8461.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went out in the afternoon yesterday, trying to beat an incoming storm. I was not successful. I even stopped road side to wait it out because the wind picked up enough that I couldn't see. Reminded me of FL when you get a crazy thunderstorm every afternoon, then clears right up.

Another plug for Gore Tex Infinium (same WB fabric that the CHPT 3 jacket's made from). That stuff is magic. Almost 100% water-proof but the magic lies in its ability to breath. It works better than any other waterproof breathable membrane type system. No taped seams so it's not truly waterproof but more than adequate. The only unknown at this point is if the DWR coating wears off eventually and stops working. But so far (2 seasons) it's held up well. Gets a ton of use in the shoulder seasons and I wash it after almost every use.

I picked this Castelli version on sale and happens to still be discounted.
Jacket looks great, actually. I wear the CHPT 3 high 40s-low 60s. Any warmer and all I can handle is a long sleeve shirt even in the rain.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On today’s morning ride, I came riding up on a small crossover suv going at 15 mph in a 35 zone. Something told me not to pass it, so as I came up on its back window, I see the occupants kissing and touching each others’ faces and making googoo eyes at each other. And then the car started drifting erratically across lanes.

It would’ve been just my luck to have been taken out by some star crossed lovers BS. They eventually took their hands off each other and drove off more normally. I didn’t even get to witness road head or anything interesting…

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On today’s morning ride, I came riding up on a small crossover suv going at 15 mph in a 35 zone. Something told me not to pass it, so as I came up on its back window, I see the occupants kissing and touching each others’ faces and making googoo eyes at each other. And then the car started drifting erratically across lanes.

It would’ve been just my luck to have been taken out by some star crossed lovers BS. They eventually took their hands off each other and drove off more normally. I didn’t even get to witness road head or anything interesting…
Good call!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Zwift launches a standalone smart bike...

But its just a "smart frame" stuck to a Kickr Core.

I can't tell if I love it or hate it. I like the idea of being modular so your bike isn't automatically trash if trainer tech changes (although who knows how many future models will be compatible).

But it seems like it gives up a lot of the benefits of a standalone smart bike. It doesn't have elevation change like a KICKR Bike (and doesn't even look like it is compatible with a KICKR Climb despite being used with a KICKR Core). Weirdly you still need to pop out and use a tool to adjust sizing. Being a frame+trainer means it will be more awkward to pick up and move around (I move my bike to my standing desk+ultrawide monitor and it is always a little awkward with the trainer hanging off the dropouts).

But the pricing seems pretty good for a dedicated platform. By the time you buy a kickr core, an old road bike, a zwift cog, and some Zwift Play controllers, you are probably close to the price of the package without the wider fit adjustment range.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In not so lucky news...

On my morning ride - same route I do 4x week for years so I know every inch of it - I leave a paved city block for a brick one. I know there's tree roots here that are causing one side of the road's bricks to be bumpy and very uneven, so I scoot to the middle and know it avoids all that.

Doing a good clip about 18-20mph and, instantly, front bars go sideways, the bike dead stops, the rear end pups up, I'm flying airborne thinking WTF and I bounce off the pavement, hard, on my right side.

Massive dark blue bruises on my right hip from waist to mid thigh and I can feel pain in my ribs. Was wearing a helmet, so my head bounced off the road but nowhere near as hard as my hips+torso. Luckily gloves, jersey, and long'ish shorts saved me from any real road rash.

Limped back to investigate and apparently two bricks in the "not bumpy" part were just starting to separate and had become loose. I think my front tire got "pinched" between then and I just got launched.

Toughed it out for 5 days and then started to really worry about my ribs which were painful at rest and, heaven forbid if I coughed or sneezed, it felt like being shot. A walk-in clinic confirmed I had a clean break but it's in place and nothing to do but be careful, wait, and try not to breathe too deeply.

Overall, waked away without any long term or permanent damage so I feel lucky and also like I'm statistically good for another 3+ years. On about day 10 of recovery now and thinking about a return to riding for Fri + Sat morning.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the Find My feature of the 4iiii power meter I bought is more trouble than it’s worth. It gives false alerts if I drive with the bike (presumably the bike gets jostled enough to wake the meter, then it goes back to sleep and I get an alert that I’ve left it behind), and it seems like all that waking up and pinging its location has drained the battery much more quickly than I expected. Also, unlike my previous meter, I actually need to calibrate this one pretty frequently. On multiple occasions, it has started giving implausible readings mid-ride, and I’ve had to stop to recalibrate.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members