General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by kronik, Apr 30, 2009.

1. YuppieSkuppie

YuppieSkuppie Active Member

Any recommendations for an entry level (rear) pannier that actually looks nice. I suppose it shouldn't matter, but if it weren't black, that'd be nice for a change too.

b

Saw these on A Time To Get: Ebay.

Depending on your needs and your rack (har har) you can always just find a nice bag in a shop and turn it into a pannier yourself.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

damn those are so pretty:

[​IMG]

Saw these on A Time To Get: Ebay.

Depending on your needs and your rack (har har) you can always just find a nice bag in a shop and turn it into a pannier yourself.

3. YuppieSkuppie

YuppieSkuppie Active Member

I sold this bike last year, but here's one of my builds with a pannier that used to just be a bag a friend brought from Tokyo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More here.

4. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Any recommendations for an entry level (rear) pannier that actually looks nice. I suppose it shouldn't matter, but if it weren't black, that'd be nice for a change too.

b

Look into the Carradice brand. I think they're british. Wiggle in the uk had some good prices a while back. Their classic model is hunter green canvas with leather straps.

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

b

Brooks. And get a new saddle while you're at it.

[​IMG]

6. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

The Brooks are ridiculously overpriced for what they are. Ostrich (from Japan) make very nice ones, Minnehaha have a cheaper black model. Banjo Brothers have black ones too, probably very functional, but I find them ugly.

7. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

The Brooks are ridiculously overpriced for what they are. Ostrich (from Japan) make very nice ones, Minnehaha have a cheaper black model. Banjo Brothers have black ones too, probably very functional, but I find them ugly.

brooks is way overpriced. You can get saddle bags cheap on ebay. BB bags are hideous! They need to update their stock!

8. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

damn those are so pretty:

[​IMG]

Those are freaking gorgeous. 114 for a pair isn't bad either. But they are tiny--look at the photos with them filled up.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Brooks is def. out of the question. I was hoping to spend just a little money. but like I said, 114 isn't bad at all for a pair.

b

9. Althis

Althis Senior member

Well my Cannondale Quick 5 was stolen the other day and I have a very slim chance of getting it back. I decided I'm going to get an entry level road bike this time to see how it is. I'm pretty set on the new Raleigh Revenio 2.0 [​IMG] http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/revenio-20-11/

10. otc

otc Senior member

Well my Cannondale Quick 5 was stolen the other day and I have a very slim chance of getting it back. I decided I'm going to get an entry level road bike this time to see how it is. I'm pretty set on the new Raleigh Revenio 2.0

[​IMG]
    http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/revenio-20-11/

How much more would you have to pay to not use Sora shifters?

11. Althis

Althis Senior member

The next version with 105's is about 1300 while this is about 800. I can't justify spending that much as a college student. Also, I'm not going to be doing any serious distance or racing.

12. otc

otc Senior member

The next version with 105's is about 1300 while this is about 800. I can't justify spending that much as a college student. Also, I'm not going to be doing any serious distance or racing.

Would like to see at least tiagra (even if the rest of the parts are sora)...the sora shifters kinda suck and use a totally different style of mechanism from the rest of the shimano shifters.

13. Althis

Althis Senior member

The guy at the bike shop showed me how they work, it looked a little weird at first having to press the whole lever to the side.

14. zatarregaza

zatarregaza Senior member

I thought the Sora shifters had a thumb-trigger to go along with the brake shifter. That's what I didn't like about the Sora brifters. The upshift/downshift mechanisms are separated and the whole ergonomics of it just seemed weird.

15. Althis

Althis Senior member

Yeah it has the thumb on the inside. I haven't used a road bike before so I'm not really sure what the norm is.