• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've heard good things about those and almost went with them (or the Hy/RD)--but for whatever reason went with the Spyre SLC:
s-l500.jpg

Way better than other mechanical disc options--2 sided engagement, simple adjustment--although not without flaws. Good compressionless housing helps, but not as powerful as a hybrid.

Would love to have gone hydro, but in my case I am running a paul mini-moto in the rear with a disc up front and at least at the time there was no way to get a hydro front lever that had the same look/feel as a SRAM rear lever. Maybe that has changed now?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose I should just go to a shop and feel the difference between a SRAM hydro lever and a mechanical one. They sell a brake-only 1x lever:
forcefmbrakeleverandcaliper.jpg

If the hand-rest profile feels the same, I suppose I could tolerate having one brifter stick up taller than the other.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference between Force hydro and mech levers is pretty big, the hydro feels much more bulky and squarish. If you use Spyres then get compressionless housing like Jagwire Elite and the actuation will feel more crisp. The new Rival and Force AXS levers have much improved ergonomics

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new Rival and Force AXS levers have much improved ergonomics

Are those closer to the old mechanical shape?

I'm not running a front derailleur, so I'm not really limited to any one system for the left lever.

Or alternatively, are the AXS mechanical and AXS hydro levers similar feel? If I upgraded the rear mech to AXS, would I be able to mix and match a mechanical right and hydro left?

Probably not really worth it though as the spyre feels fine to me with jagwire elite. But I suppose it is an option if I ever tried to push the bike to a 1x12 rear with AXS (or even put a FD back on it) and was thus buying new levers anyways.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They only have the new ergonomics for etap so you'd have non functional buttons. It would be more similar to the mech shifter but I'd just stick with mech/spyre till you change your whole drivetrain

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went and visited the vintage bike wizard. Wow, just wow. 40 years of bicycle collecting is kind of an amazing sight to take in! At least 80 bikes and box after box of frames, parts, etc.

Really like the Madone 5.2 and 5.5. then he hit me with a wildcard, the Lemond Buenas Aires 2007-8. Never heard of it but sounds like it's a little higher seating position for comfort and speed. Maybe more like a Pilot than a Madone

I think it's a better buy for my purposes, but I had my mind made up on the 5.2.... Brand new, made by Trek. Beautiful paint job

Has some 105 parts and Ultegra.

Any red flags on the components mix?

$700, brand new. Having a hard time deciding between this and the 5.2 Madone.

Screenshot_20230428-103349.png

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went and visited the vintage bike wizard. Wow, just wow. 40 years of bicycle collecting is kind of an amazing sight to take in! At least 80 bikes and box after box of frames, parts, etc.

Really like the Madone 5.2 and 5.5. then he hit me with a wildcard, the Lemond Buenas Aires 2007-8. Never heard of it but sounds like it's a little higher seating position for comfort and speed. Maybe more like a Pilot than a Madone

I think it's a better buy for my purposes, but I had my mind made up on the 5.2.... Brand new, made by Trek. Beautiful paint job

Has some 105 parts and Ultegra.

Any red flags on the components mix?

$700, brand new. Having a hard time deciding between this and the 5.2 Madone.

View attachment 1948339

My first road bike was a 1999 LeMond Tourmalet. They made some nice bikes, though maybe not quite as good as a Madone. For your needs though, the LeMond would be nice.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first road bike was a 1999 LeMond Tourmalet. They made some nice bikes, though maybe not quite as good as a Madone. For your needs though, the LeMond would be nice.
Oh nice! Thanks, I think I am going to go for it. Reading online the main complaint is a heavy fork, main compliment is a smooth and very comfortable ride.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yesterday I learned that Specialized doesn't bond the bottle cage mounts into their carbon frames, they're just rivnuts. One of mine had come loose, and the shop snugged it up with the rivnut tool.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I just went from 0 to 2 Lemond bikes in less than 24 hrs. Rain just stopped and the sun is peaking out. Good times await.

New Old stock Buenas Aires, full carbon.
PXL_20230430_154200023.jpg

PXL_20230430_154227497.jpg

Garage queen Big Sky SL ca. 2006 in 6061 Al w cf fork.
Should make for a nice runabout. Built for comfort and a high seating position. Found this one very nearby and went to look at it on a whim with no intention to buy it. But I rode it and it just felt so right. and I loved the clear coat over brushed Al.
PXL_20230430_154024276.jpg

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Noticed last week that the spindles for my pedals were a bit loose. This led me down a small rabbit hole to ordering the special tool for servicing them. It arrived this morning, and now my pedals are back to feeling like they did when new.

I am steadily building up a good selection of bike tools to complement the toolbox filled with tools from my days working on cars. Fortunately, my neighbors already have some of the more expensive stuff like a derailleur hanger adjustment tool.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noticed last week that the spindles for my pedals were a bit loose. This led me down a small rabbit hole to ordering the special tool for servicing them. It arrived this morning, and now my pedals are back to feeling like they did when new.

I am steadily building up a good selection of bike tools to complement the toolbox filled with tools from my days working on cars. Fortunately, my neighbors already have some of the more expensive stuff like a derailleur hanger adjustment tool.

Back when I had my steel LeMond, I’d bend the rear dropout every few weeks. Fortunately, one of my best friends was the head mechanic at the local REI store. I’d pop in and he’d fix it. I eventually figured out how tight to keep the quick release.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New bike day for the kiddo (I bought it used and had to replace a brake cable and do a minor tuneup), and new bars and tape for the cross bike.

For those unfamiliar with the brand, Spawn Cycles is a maker of high end kids’ bikes out of Squamish, BC.

93597C09-AC3E-46EC-B3DE-7E2004964166.jpeg
2461DCA4-8072-4BE6-86C3-D5C6711D71FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads