• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve recommended this kit before, PedalEd. Looks relatively sharp, made well, Rapha quality/price. Haven’t tried their bibs.

Summer sale right now. The lightweight merino is fantastic!

I have a lightweight cycling rain jacket from these. Quality stuff.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve recommended this kit before, PedalEd. Looks relatively sharp, made well, Rapha quality/price. Haven’t tried their bibs.

Summer sale right now. The lightweight merino is fantastic!

How does the summer merino work for you? DC area is super hot and humid.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the summer merino work for you? DC area is super hot and humid.
I love it. I actually prefer the wool blends to 100% synthetic even on those super hot days. I don’t find it any different in terms of temp regulating but wool’s just more comfortable to my skin.
This year’s been much cooler. I’m not looking forward to those July-Aug 90+, high dew point days that you already have.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it. I actually prefer the wool blends to 100% synthetic even on those super hot days. I don’t find it any different in terms of temp regulating but wool’s just more comfortable to my skin.
This year’s been much cooler. I’m not looking forward to those July-Aug 90+, high dew point days that you already have.
Thanks! I think I'll order an Essential in yellow and give it a try.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One last question. Which of the two would you recommend? The looser fitting Kaido sounds best to me.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One last question. Which of the two would you recommend? The looser fitting Kaido sounds best to me.
That's the one I have and would guess it feels more like a standard weight jersey (about the same as Rapha's Classic jersey). I find it fine in the heat but if I had to guess, the new lightweight jersey is a bit thinner.

Kaido fits great. Not like Rapha's Pro-level, aero jersey. Kaido is snug, form fitting but comfortable. I'm an XL in most things (44 jacket) and the XL kaido fits me well.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the one I have and would guess it feels more like a standard weight jersey (about the same as Rapha's Classic jersey). I find it fine in the heat but if I had to guess, the new lightweight jersey is a bit thinner.

Kaido fits great. Not like Rapha's Pro-level, aero jersey. Kaido is snug, form fitting but comfortable. I'm an XL in most things (44 jacket) and the XL kaido fits me well.
I ordered a Kaido in XL. I'm usually a 42 but like a slightly looser fit in exercise gear. Also, Kaido was on sale for $119.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for cycling shoes and I can get a fibre/nylon sole for $200 vs. a carbon sole for $250 CAD

Yes, I'll try both to see which fits best but would you pay $50 more for a carbon sole?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’d pay for whichever shoe fit the best.

that said carbon is nice, although in theory you could use other materials and make an equally stiff shoe so who knows. $250 seems like a lot even in funny money. Can probably find good shoes for a lot less.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Carbon is not really necessary. In theory it's stiffer for a lighter weight, but as @otc notes, fit is king. I don't think think $250 is too much for shoes (particularly with BOA closures), but YMMV.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheapest two-bolt I can find locally is a Recon 1.0 at 160$ but then I'll just step up to the Fizik if the fit is good. There's also the XC100 from Shimano at $140.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My shoes are carbon soled (the S-phyre, which looks like the roadgoing equivalent of your second option), but I’d still say that carbon soles aren’t necessary. Even if you feel the weight difference, which i doubt, it’s not going to hold you back.

I agree with the guys above that fit is king, but the other factor that’s more important than weight is the stiffness. It is pretty annoying when your pushing platform flexes with each stroke. If the non-carbons feel as stiff as the carbons, then I’d say you’re ok

Those Pedaled jerseys look nice, they give off a sort of Cafe Du Cycliste vibe

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
S-Works Recon for sure…

6E12AA6F-417A-41E1-AB9A-E1847AAFE1E0.jpeg

BDA6656E-CBCA-4AE8-928B-F7E42E1A7DC3.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have the S-Phyre for both three- and two-bolt shoes. I don’t think the difference in stiffness is discernible compared to the composite-sole Spezialized shoes I used previously.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish the S-Works shoes fit me better because they are gorgeous. I tried them last year and ended up selling them after battling foot pain, putting the XTR pedals back on my road bike and using my trusty old, composite sole'd Sidi Dominator 10's.

Have a pair of Ultegra pedals sitting unused until I give three bolt shoes another go. I only spent a short time with road pedals but having ridden dual-sided clipless SPD's for 20 years (on and off road), it wasn't an easy transition to road pedals.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads