• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A story in three pictures. (I don’t think the damage warrants replacement of the rim, but open to other opinions…)
View attachment 1807765 View attachment 1807766 View attachment 1807767
wow -- have never seen damage like this. I think as long as the inner wall of the rim is undamaged you should be okay. What I would do would be to smooth out the edges of the hole (including removing the "points" sticking inwards) to reduce stress risers. I'd mark the eyelet at that point and inspect the rim periodically.
I found this thread with a similar case: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/298618-tire-rim-got-screwed-flat-tipped-screw-dents-inner-wall-double-wall-rim.html

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’d replace it for peace of mind, bike rims aren’t that expensive (it doesn’t look like it’s carbon but can’t tell for sure)

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d replace it for peace of mind, bike rims aren’t that expensive (it doesn’t look like it’s carbon but can’t tell for sure)
Replace for sure if carbon but looks like alloy to me? Single wall rims exist; the additional wall adds strength but is not essential for rim integrity. And the rim wall has plenty of holes already for the spokes. I’d still smooth out the edges of that damaged area though to reduce stress concentration. Unmounting the tire and removing the rim tape will take, what, 5 minutes? Then another 10 with a Dremel.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Replace for sure if carbon but looks like alloy to me? Single wall rims exist; the additional wall adds strength but is not essential for rim integrity. And the rim wall has plenty of holes already for the spokes. I’d still smooth out the edges of that damaged area though to reduce stress concentration. Unmounting the tire and removing the rim tape will take, what, 5 minutes? Then another 10 with a Dremel.
It’s tubeless, so longer than that, but I’ve found some pinholes bubbling sealant since I posted, so the tire is likely coming off unless they seal and hold pressure. It will give me an excuse to get different rim tape, too. I have Stan’s, and it seems to be neither as sticky nor as stretchy as the DT Swiss tape that came on it or the stuff my bike shop used on my gravel rims.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I never cycle in black gear anyway as I would drop dead in the heat. I don't even see it on their website.
The all-black kit thing is so...boring. I mean, you're already rolling around in tights. Live a little.

Althis

Reaction score
my current favorite kit, quality and fit are amazing

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
also Rapha gear are for people who eat so little. A 40 chest is XL?!
Check out Pissei. I'm a reasonably trim but no waif, athletic US40/UK50 with a 41" chest which makes me a XXXL (3XL!) there. And that fits snug.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out Pissei. I'm a reasonably trim but no waif, athletic US40/UK50 with a 41" chest which makes me a XXXL (3XL!) there. And that fits snug.
I like Rapha a lot but use their technical tshirts for cycling and not the jerseys. Large seems to work as a slightly-slim 42.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve recommended this kit before, PedalEd. Looks relatively sharp, made well, Rapha quality/price. Haven’t tried their bibs.

Summer sale right now. The lightweight merino is fantastic!

Featured Sponsor

When shopping for clothes do you (choose up to 2)

• Always return to the same brands/stores/websites

• Like to visit brick&mortar shops to see things in person

• Shop mainly online and take advantage of free returns

• Like to try new brands/stores/websites

• Shop mainly during the sales, regardless of the brand/store/website

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nb2006