• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But... I like hydration...

If you're gonna include a bottle in the photo, it needs to be a bidon that actually fits in the cage.

Which, honestly, I'm surprised you don't have. Once you have a bike with proper cages and a bidon or two...they just seem to multiply on their own.

You buy one because you need it. Then you buy one for a fundraiser for a local advocacy org. Then you get a free one as giveaway swag. Then you see a really cool looking one when you're visiting a shop in another town....

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're gonna include a bottle in the photo, it needs to be a bidon that actually fits in the cage.

Which, honestly, I'm surprised you don't have. Once you have a bike with proper cages and a bidon or two...they just seem to multiply on their own.

You buy one because you need it. Then you buy one for a fundraiser for a local advocacy org. Then you get a free one as giveaway swag. Then you see a really cool looking one when you're visiting a shop in another town....

And @flipstah, I find tons in thrift shops.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a lot of rain here lately. Time to give the fleet a wash, wax, and relube

View attachment 1804579
Need some sort of better degreaser product though, couple of those drivetrains were dirrrrty

I just washed my MTBs for just about the first time ever. I am taking advantage of WFH and came up with the family to Tahoe for an extended trip. Because our bikes were getting a bit wonky I talked to a few locals shops about getting them tuned or doing full overhauls. Upshifting my rear derailleur had become extremely hit or miss which was the main thing leading me toward a tune. After finding out what the minor tune consisted of, I decided to actually wash the bikes first and see how it went. Turns out that a good wash did them quite well and they are more or less good as new and don't really need to be tuned at all. Still may want an overhaul at some point to rebuild headsets, lube things other than the drivetrain and service the fork but for now the bath I gave them has made a huge difference. I know it shouldn't be this way but I was almost shocked to see what the drive train looked like without the usual coating of dirt. Also a bit of a guilty conscience seeing how much of the black coating has worn off my wife's cassette.

I used Muc-Off (currently on sale at REI in case it matters) and it made relatively quick work of years worth of gunk. My process was - low pressure mist on the bikes, liberally spray with Muc-Off, wait 5 minutes for it to do it's work, then some scrubbing and a nice rinse. If I had a "normal" amount of dirt it would have been enough but given my neglect, it took a few tries for some of the more gunked up parts.

I also discovered during my cleaning that the bottle cage I installed on my wife's back has been damaging the rear triangle for years during deep compression of the rear shock. Wish I had put a different cage on or checked for that before causing damage but there is nothing I can do about it now and I don't think it's a safety issue.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also a bit of a guilty conscience seeing how much of the black coating has worn off my wife's cassette.

Do you have a chain gauge? Chain might be getting a little long (especially if ridden dirty) and given the cost of modern mtb cassettes, you really want to replace the chain on time.

Suspension service is a big question…did anyone quote you lead times? I’ve heard they can be real long now which is driving many to DIY.
But some shops are also allowing you to schedule repairs now…appointment might be weeks away but at least you can still ride while you wait.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second attempt at “bike against a wall” shot.

Also my longest ride ever, post-injury.

Feels great and I feel like I can push harder with the right footwear!

5C41AB08-A516-4F55-863F-7D92CDBBACB9.jpeg
A142D714-DC8D-4CEB-9BD9-63B02269C50E.jpeg
C9D36AF5-54F5-4D61-AE86-1B9BDAA1E556.jpeg
C0347DCB-CB87-4508-A00C-C45E916A6649.jpeg
B7CEB9F7-98AD-46D2-B407-C82F665A22AB.jpeg
7A2CC66D-1215-4B3E-87AC-8C0979E998AC.jpeg

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have a chain gauge? Chain might be getting a little long (especially if ridden dirty) and given the cost of modern mtb cassettes, you really want to replace the chain on time.

Suspension service is a big question…did anyone quote you lead times? I’ve heard they can be real long now which is driving many to DIY.
But some shops are also allowing you to schedule repairs now…appointment might be weeks away but at least you can still ride while you wait.

In terms of lead time, it wasn't bad - from 24 to 72 hours.

Good point about the chain. Just did a quick check and it still seems like it's spot on 12" for 24 links but I don't have a chain gauge. I'm also not too worried about my cassette - it's a 10-speed XT which only runs around $75. I guess I can ask the shop to check it though. Where I'm staying now there is a pretty awesome network of trails and the bike shop is right at the base of the trails so it couldn't be more convenient.

Pic below to give you a sense as to what it looks like now. There's some rub on the cassette from the chain but I think there is still plenty of useful life here. Of course, I don't really know much about this stuff so there's that.
Lkc3Z2t.png

Last edited:

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've noticed that my chain jams up the front when I shift from big to small ring; it's as if it's not properly shifting. I noticed I have to shift back up to the big ring and shift back down. Anyone know what would cause that?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've noticed that my chain jams up the front when I shift from big to small ring; it's as if it's not properly shifting. I noticed I have to shift back up to the big ring and shift back down. Anyone know what would cause that?
Is it that the chain falls off the inside of the small ring or that it won’t go to the small ring? Either way, should be a simple adjustment of the FD limit screw. With the chain on small chainring/big rear sprocket, the inner face of the FD cage should just barely clear the chain. You also want to make sure the FD cage is parallel to the chain.

BTW loved some of the old Suntour group sets.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it that the chain falls off the inside of the small ring or that it won’t go to the small ring? Either way, should be a simple adjustment of the FD limit screw. With the chain on small chainring/big rear sprocket, the inner face of the FD cage should just barely clear the chain. You also want to make sure the FD cage is parallel to the chain.

BTW loved some of the old Suntour group sets.
So it doesn't get dislodged or doesn't fall off. It's more like half catches on the small ring and half is stuck on the big ring. So might have to adjust the cage?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it doesn't get dislodged or doesn't fall off. It's more like half catches on the small ring and half is stuck on the big ring. So might have to adjust the cage?
If this is a new problem you might have to adjust the limit screw so that it can swing a little farther over and push the chain onto the small ring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads