• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How many miles do y’all ride a year, and what would you consider a challenging distance goal? I recognize this is pretty dependent on not just fitness but availability person to person.

I put a goal of 3000 miles in 2022 on my Strava, which is a thousand more than I’ve ever done. But as of today I’m a bit past 1400

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve never been consistent enough tracking it considering how much I rode for just getting around/commuting

Maybe now that my riding is almost all recreational, I guess I might get some better numbers. But they will be low since I will mostly be riding off road.

In related news, I sucked it up and bought a 2 bike 1up rack. Spent the afternoon installing a hitch on my wife’s car. Will order one for my car at some future date.

required removing the exhaust…
E9879072-2280-4CA0-AC8B-45EE58E3E863.jpeg

But doing that made the rest of it easy.

when I do my car, you come in from the other direction which requires pulling the bumper…

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How many miles do y’all ride a year, and what would you consider a challenging distance goal? I recognize this is pretty dependent on not just fitness but availability person to person.

I put a goal of 3000 miles in 2022 on my Strava, which is a thousand more than I’ve ever done. But as of today I’m a bit past 1400
I feel like I’m keeping on top of my fitness if I’m doing at least 100 miles per week, so a year with 5000 miles or more is a good one. In reality, between work, family, and holidays, I don’t actually hit that number. 😁

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like I’m keeping on top of my fitness if I’m doing at least 100 miles per week, so a year with 5000 miles or more is a good one. In reality, between work, family, and holidays, I don’t actually hit that number. 😁
Same. So, like, give me both weekend mornings and I’ll hit 100 miles that week. Which is unrealistic to do every week. So I guess 3000 is the right goal

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Same. So, like, give me both weekend mornings and I’ll hit 100 miles that week. Which is unrealistic to do every week. So I guess 3000 is the right goal
A solid week for me looks like this:

Structured workout on the trainer: 10-15 miles
Recovery ride on the trainer/quick post-work spin in the city: 5-15 miles
Group ride on Thursday: 17-20 miles
Weekend long ride: 50-60 miles

So, somewhere between 80 miles on the low side to 110 miles on the high side. As my fitness improves, the weekend ride gets up to 60-80 miles.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm somewhere between 1500-2000 between April and Nov. By the end of May I'm averaging 75 mi/week. By July-Aug it's about 100/week. Never much more than that.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I usually ride between 2000 and 3000 miles a year. My biggest mileage year was 3700 in 2020 and that is probably the most I want to do. A challenging goal for me would be about 4000, I suppose however my goals are less about total mileage and more about substituting car miles with bike miles.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a Floridian who loves to ski but can only manage 2 trips a season, I'm jealous.

I love my all-year biking, but ... skiing (sigh).

I’m sitting on top of the lift served mtb trails right now. Looks like it might be a while before I can ride this…guess I’ll be getting my cardio skiing up the hill for at least a while longer.

View attachment 1784020

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The past year I was able to get to a steady 45mile a week regimen, so about 2200 a year. This year, I am looking for small ways to bump that up to 50 a week but for me it's really a matter of scheduling challenges than anything else.

But, until you asked the question I never thought of it in yearly goal terms which is interesting; hmmm.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The past year I was able to get to a steady 45mile a week regimen, so about 2200 a year. This year, I am looking for small ways to bump that up to 50 a week but for me it's really a matter of scheduling challenges than anything else.

But, until you asked the question I never thought of it in yearly goal terms which is interesting; hmmm.
I never really planned yearly goals either. I'm not very scientific when it comes to cycling and just try to get as many miles as possible whenever I can. Off crutches next Friday and hopefully back on the Domane. Will aim for a Century ride by end of summer if I can swing it.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of my 45mi/week regimen, it always ends on Sat or Sun after I get my weekly 13mi longer sprint ride in. I give her a good cleaning as part of my cooling down time.

I never thought to use some Griots' spray-on wax that I usually use for my car on the bike until recently and found it works just as well. It's the best easiest-application-to-great-results ratio spray-on wipe-off stuff I've ever found.

20220424_102402_resized.jpg
20220424_102454_resized.jpg

20220424_102531_resized.jpg
20220424_102548_resized.jpg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really only thought of setting a yearly goal when I noticed Strava asks you to do it. It’s a pretty nice motivator for me to ride consistently

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cococococo12