• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'm still up and out of the saddle way too much

I basically never get out of the saddle on my road bike.

Low gear and spin on climbs and I don't exactly go around randomly throwing in all-out sprints. Only time I am out of the saddle is when I am getting on/off the bike, or when I'm doing something more like a gravel/steep descent.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like to get out of the saddle on long ascents to use different muscles. Almost never when cornering on the road.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I basically never get out of the saddle on my road bike.

Low gear and spin on climbs and I don't exactly go around randomly throwing in all-out sprints. Only time I am out of the saddle is when I am getting on/off the bike, or when I'm doing something more like a gravel/steep descent.
I like to get out of the saddle on long ascents to use different muscles. Almost never when cornering on the road.
All those years on a hardtail MTB taught me to sit and spin. The only time I climb out of the saddle is on those short bursts to get over a hill. I tend to gas out quickly when standing.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All those years on a hardtail MTB taught me to sit and spin. The only time I climb out of the saddle is on those short bursts to get over a hill. I tend to gas out quickly when standing.
Yeah, I didn’t say I stand for long… :)

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Worked at staying in the saddle and using my front brake more in turns on today's ride; getting there. I still habitually come out of the saddle at the apex to drive hard out. I'll get the entry sorted first then work on the exit (if that's even necessary).

I also realized that a lot of this discussion might be predicated on big sweeping turns and not tighter in-city lane-to-lane 90 degree corners; especially where I'm trying to maintain as much speed as possible through them - which requires juggling traffic and often difficult sightlines to manage possibly last-second slowing or stopping. I don't think that changes anything said, but in case it does...

Lastly, realized that heading out for my first ski trip next week to Okemo VT and followed by another 3 weeks later to PC Utah, this is my first season having used a road bike for training vs old MTB/Dualsport. It definitely feels a bit more analogous with it's lighter nimbleness and faster speed. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Swapped my front 700x38 Specialized Trigger to a 700x40 Pirelli Cinturato for more cush and grip. It's a tan sidewall, and it looks so dope on the bike that now I want to swap out the rear Trigger just for looks. Dammit.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Anyone know if those new Conti GTs that are hookless are on the market yet? Can't wait to get back into my beloved Contis.

Being off the bike for nearly a month now with the COVIDS, once again struck by what a difference the Zipps make in ride quality vs. the OEM rims on my Domane.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swapped my front 700x38 Specialized Trigger to a 700x40 Pirelli Cinturato for more cush and grip. It's a tan sidewall, and it looks so dope on the bike that now I want to swap out the rear Trigger just for looks. Dammit.
I’m with you tan sidewalls looks dope!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if those new Conti GTs that are hookless are on the market yet? Can't wait to get back into my beloved Contis.

Being off the bike for nearly a month now with the COVIDS, once again struck by what a difference the Zipps make in ride quality vs. the OEM rims on my Domane.
Still awaiting my set. Best the tire buyer at the LBS could estimate was Q1 hopefully.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got most of the bike built up today but missing a couple parts so it will take another week or two. Need new brake hoses, olives & barbs, chainring, rotors, bartape, and freehub body

20220130_172140.jpg

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm really interested in upgrading at some point - the chorus has been strong on this - but until I've wrung out my limitations on the bike, I just can't justify $2k on a set of wheels. That doesn't stop me from pining and drooling.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm really interested in upgrading at some point - the chorus has been strong on this - but until I've wrung out my limitations on the bike, I just can't justify $2k on a set of wheels. That doesn't stop me from pining and drooling.
Winspace/Lún are legit at half the price. Multiple friends have them and rave about them.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did anyone else watch the cyclocross world championships?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

If I built a bike to my limitations I'd be out on a Huffy.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_9683.jpg

We received a touch of snow on Friday which made for some snowy mountain biking on Saturday morning. It was an ideal day to be in the woods as the wind was whipping around lowering wind chills to the single digits and there was black ice all over the roads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads