• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: anyone tried Giro or Nike cycling shoes? I’m an 8E and there’s no stock to test fit near me. It’s all online

I have a pair of giro empires and love them. I find they fit true to the sizing chart on their site. I’m a 9.5D and took a 43 and they are perfect.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of giro empires and love them. I find they fit true to the sizing chart on their site. I’m a 9.5D and took a 43 and they are perfect.

I'm debating on either the Empire SLX or the Nike SuperRep

1628041533891.png

1628041566365.png

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@flipstah

If you can’t try them on, make sure you can return them if they don’t fit. I have wide feet as well, and find cycling shoes really hard to get right.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
anyone tried Giro or Nike cycling shoes? I’m an 8E and there’s no stock to test fit near me. It’s all online
+1 to Fueco's advice. Before buying my current road shoes, I kept them on for half an hour at the bike shop, just to make sure that they fit well. Poorly fitted shoes are worse than wearing trainers with flat pedals IMO

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eff it I'll just buy whatever is at the store then. Thanks, fam!

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got a bib and jersey! Corratec bib and Pearl Izumi jersey on sale.

I was panhandling for Rapha gear on the trail and someone gave me heads up that there’s an LBS sale. He still didn’t give into the Rapha fund.

EDIT: anyone tried Giro or Nike cycling shoes? I’m an 8E and there’s no stock to test fit near me. It’s all online

And I'm building that CF Look frame to be either fixed gear or single speed; have to find out if the fixed wheel I have will fit on the dropout... If so, I'll swap my Fizik Antares saddle onto it.

To replace it, I was looking at the Turbo saddle. Is that any good? Another contender is the Brooks B17 in antique brown or C15 Cambium

I wear 8.5EEE and have an older model of these shoes:

They fit me well and I've had worn them on numerous metrics.

I have a Cambium on my bike that I bought to replace the old saddle that had torn after 40,000km. It's pretty nice.

EDIT - extra word

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never worn fingerless cycling gloves. I wear unpadded gloves in the cold and often wear full finger unpadded gloves on MTB but never saw the need for road cycling gloves. I didn't like the feel of padded gloves so unpadded gloves didn't make sense to me. However I've been getting numbness on one hand for a few weeks and decided to give padded gloves a shot. Last few rides with gloves have eliminated the numbness completely so I guess I'm a cycling glove guy now. Still prefer the feel of no gloves but the pad seems to be working great.

No significant savings on Castelli accessories online so I went to the LBS where I could try them on. ? from me.

Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never worn fingerless cycling gloves. I wear unpadded gloves in the cold and always often wear full finger unpadded gloves on MTB but never saw the need for road cycling gloves. I didn't like the feel of padded gloves so unpadded gloves didn't make sense to me. However I've been getting numbness on one hand for a few weeks and decided to give padded gloves a shot. Last few rides with gloves have eliminated the numbness completely so I guess I'm a cycling glove guy now. Still prefer the feel of no gloves but the pad seems to be working great.

No significant savings on Castelli accessories online so I went to the LBS where I could try them on. ? from me.

I've been wearing full finger padded gloves for all of my rides and primarily for sun protection. The padding does make a difference.

emptym

Reaction score
Kinda thinking about picking up this (the disc version) as a platform to build my new townie on:
View attachment 1644583

Kinda more than I want to pay for a generic parts-bin bike, but it ticks the boxes for what I've been pondering:
- Belt Drive
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- Front and rear rack attachment points
- Room for decent size tires AND fenders. Hell--it looks like I could do a 650b/27.5 swap and put big-ol-tires on it if I wanted to.

I mean, its generic chinese cromo but it has disc mounts and a split to get the belt in--two things I can't get if I start from a vintage frameset (without resorting to welding and cutting).
The Nexus 7 isn't the best internal gear hub in the world, but the hub and shifter alone cost $200+ and buying standalone belt drive parts seems expensive AF--could be $300+ just to get sprocket/cog/belt for a DIY setup.
I like that bike lot. I think it came out right after I bought my Nua. I think at the time, Priority only had black components. I wanted a belt drive with an internal hub, silver components, and, ideally, a titanium frame. I checked out all the companies listed on Gates' site, and Nua checked all the boxes. The Nexus hub didn't get great reviews, but people seemed happy with the Alfine 8, even more than the more pricy 11. Another brand I considered was Spot, but they used black components and aluminum frames, iirc. The Nua wasn't a lot more than the higher end Spot, and I'd wanted a titanium bike since the early 90s, so I decided to splurge. Of course, I would have loved something from Seven Cycles, but that would have been about double the Nua. 3-4 yrs later, I'm super happy with my Nua. Roberto, the owner/builder was a pleasure to work with.

Edit: The only thing I haven't loved is the saddle, a Ritchey, since it's been tearing on the front and sides. Thinking of upgrading to a leather one for durability. Iirc, there's a woman-owned, American company that makes leather saddles. Maybe rivetcycleworks.com? Anyone have any recs for a leather saddle? Are they worth it? Would black dye transfer to my pants if the saddle got wet? I think Flipstah's wondering about them too.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing full finger padded gloves for all of my rides and primarily for sun protection. The padding does make a difference.

Good idea. I've developed a bad habit of skipping sunscreen on rides lately and have refined some hilarious looking cyclist tan lines.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never worn fingerless cycling gloves. I wear unpadded gloves in the cold and often wear full finger unpadded gloves on MTB but never saw the need for road cycling gloves. I didn't like the feel of padded gloves so unpadded gloves didn't make sense to me. However I've been getting numbness on one hand for a few weeks and decided to give padded gloves a shot. Last few rides with gloves have eliminated the numbness completely so I guess I'm a cycling glove guy now. Still prefer the feel of no gloves but the pad seems to be working great.

Man this is what I was looking for a few pages back

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good idea. I've developed a bad habit of skipping sunscreen on rides lately and have refined some hilarious looking cyclist tan lines.

Ask @smittycl how I get decked out for my rides. I cover up from head to toe with a long sleeved base layer for the arms and sun sleeves for the legs with sunscreen on the remaining exposed parts. As a matter of fact, I do the same for mtb however to protect myself against ticks.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Man this is what I was looking for a few pages back
Holy sugar *******, $16.78 for shipping?!?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads