• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

bicycleradical

Reaction score
Same here, but my next road and cx bikes will be disc.
I'm looking at a new bike for next year as my Bianchi will be 10 years old by then. Most steel framed touring bikes have mechanical discs nowadays. It looks like I'll either have to bite the bullet or find a bike that can mount rim brakes and install them myself.

bicycleradical

Reaction score
Mathieu van der Poel at the olympic XC final.

I read somewhere that there had been a ramp there in practice and van der Poel expected it to be there for the race which resulted in him misjudging the drop. At least he didn't look really badly hurt afterward.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that there had been a ramp there in practice and van der Poel expected it to be there for the race which resulted in him misjudging the drop. At least he didn't look really badly hurt afterward.
The race organizers tell the racers that the ramp will be removed for the race but he either forgot or just cased it. Either way, tough break for sure.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have discs on my mtb and they're great however I prefer rim brakes on my road bike. They work fine for me. If that makes me a curmudgeon, then so be it.
Same here, but my next road and cx bikes will be disc.
I rode my last road bike for 10+ years and figured rim brakes and mechanical shifting were perfectly fine. However, after riding discs and Di2 for 3 months now, I'll never go back.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rode my last road bike for 10+ years and figured rim brakes and mechanical shifting were perfectly fine. However, after riding discs and Di2 for 3 months now, I'll never go back.
It always works that way with gear. There is no going back. :slayer:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will remain a Luddite and eschew electronic shifting however if someone wants it, all the power to them.
Electric shifting has serious benefits for ultra-distance cycling in that shifting is much easier once your grip strength starts to go. I love it on the road bike but am ambivalent about if for mountain or cyclocross.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.