Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by kronik, Apr 30, 2009.

1. KBW

KBW Senior member

Try www.MTBR.com

I personally find them the pinnacle of everything mountain.

thanks S-N

2. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

a potential negative to a aluminum frame is that it can oxidize (rust) with the salt that is put on the road in snowier climates. steel is not affected as much as an aluminum frame by road salt.
    You have that reversed there Shiny. Steel rusts, aluminum doesn't.

3. DNW

DNW Senior member

What is a good road cycling forum? Trying to unload some parts.

roadbikereview.com. They charge $2/ad, which runs for 30 days. Since you're going to be a newb there, you might have trouble unloading expensive parts, unless you'll do a local transaction.

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You have that reversed there Shiny. Steel rusts, aluminum doesn't.

Actually the salt does corrode aluminum too, just not as bad as steel.

5. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

i worked in sheet metal fabrications on aircraft for 7 years and i have seen alot of aluminum parts break due to corrosion..esp due to salt...inter-granular corrosion and galvanic corrosion is the worst thing for aluminum.

6. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Just bought this frame (and forks and seat post and headset) today for cheap. The intent is a new build for me to ride around the city on. And maybe on the C&O tow path. It's a Centurion Cavalette. Probably mid-80s. It looks way better in person than in the photo.

Hopefully the photo link works.
    [​IMG]

7. Ispy

Ispy Senior member

Try www.MTBR.com

I personally find them the pinnacle of everything mountain.

I'm way late to this party (and MTBR is a great suggestion) but you can try pinkbike and/or NSMB as well

8. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

just picked up a mercier kilo TT the other day in orange. So far all i've done is change out the cheap toe clips that came on it with metal ones, and put all my commuter lights on it

9. otc

otc Senior member

Just bought this frame (and forks and seat post and headset) today for cheap. The intent is a new build for me to ride around the city on. And maybe on the C&O tow path. It's a Centurion Cavalette. Probably mid-80s. It looks way better in person than in the photo.

[​IMG]

Nice mixte although I don't fully approve of no brakes (unless that is a coaster...it sort of looks like one). Now you have to put a big rack on it or something to make it more mixte like

just picked up a mercier kilo TT the other day in orange. So far all i've done is change out the cheap toe clips that came on it with metal ones, and put all my commuter lights on it

I like those in orange...the parts are good enough to ride and I like that it isn't covered in decals

Here is the bike I built this fall to use for this season's cyclocross (it has CX Pros on it now...no more slick tires). I raced it single speed 39x18 but it has a 16t fixed cog on the other side because I had never ridden a fixie and wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I guess it also has the clipless pedals on it now too (just hadn't switched them from another bike yet)

10. DNW

DNW Senior member

[​IMG]

Please tell me you're not one of those hipsters? [​IMG]

11. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Nice mixte although I don't fully approve of no brakes (unless that is a coaster...it sort of looks like one). Now you have to put a big rack on it or something to make it more mixte like

The previous owner had it set up with coaster brakes. So, yes, it had brakes. I only purchased the frame and forks, because I want to set it up differently.

I am going to put either a 8 or 9 speed internal hub or cassette on the rear and then either one or two chain rings on the front.

Please tell me you're not one of those hipsters? [​IMG]

No. Emphatically, NO! In fact, the guy who sold it to me kept pronouncing mixte like it was spelled mixtie (mixt-ee). The word is French, it means "unisex," and it is pronounced mEExte. I was dying to correct him, but that would have been rude and he might have decided to not sell it to me for so cheap. Plus, he was a nice guy.

A friend is helping me build it out. So far I know this

Tektro R556 caliper brakes (the only ones that will fit it).

700c tires with the widest tires I can fit (35 hopefully). Probably a cyclocross tire so I can have a bit of traction for an unpaved path.

8-9 sp internal hub (Alfine) or cassette. Haven't decided yet.

1 or 2 chainrings up front. But I've only found one so far with a small enough big ring, the SRAM Rival OCT which comes in a 46/38 ($150-200). Even that might not be a small enough small ring.

And I'll do some slightly swept back bars; nothing too far or it will be too much comfort and not speedy enough. Also, I want trigger shifters and mt. brake levers.

Any thoughts guys?

b

12. otc

otc Senior member

internal rear with multiple front chainrings is not a recipe that works. In order to have slack in the chain to to go between big ring and little ring, you need to have a derailleur or some sort of chain tensioner in place. At that point you might as well just use an 8s cassette in back. The inteEEnal hub should have enough range to take care of you...I used to have a 3s and it did me fine so I would imagine one of the wide range modern ones with far more speeds would be fine.

as to the pronounciation of mixte...your way should be right but whenever I hear it pronounced by people who know far more about bikes than I do, they say mix-tee

is it 27" or 700c? If you say you need the long reach tektros, I would guess 700 and as such you should have no clearance issues at all for pretty big tires.

I hope you plan to get another stem...it looks like exactly the same one that I have and its kind of ugly and does not match the rest of the bike

13. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

internal rear with multiple front chainrings is not a recipe that works. In order to have slack in the chain to to go between big ring and little ring, you need to have a derailleur or some sort of chain tensioner in place. At that point you might as well just use an 8s cassette in back. The inteEEnal hub should have enough range to take care of you...I used to have a 3s and it did me fine so I would imagine one of the wide range modern ones with far more speeds would be fine.

as to the pronounciation of mixte...your way should be right but whenever I hear it pronounced by people who know far more about bikes than I do, they say mix-tee

is it 27" or 700c? If you say you need the long reach tektros, I would guess 700 and as such you should have no clearance issues at all for pretty big tires.

I hope you plan to get another stem...it looks like exactly the same one that I have and its kind of ugly and does not match the rest of the bike

You know, I forgot about that issue with the internal hub and multiple front rings. I'll have to figure that whole mess out. It's actually causing me some consternation.

The thing about the drivetrain is this: I had a typical mt bike with a 9 spd cassette and three rings in front, 44-32-22. I cannot remember the last time I used that 44 ring. So I was hoping for essentially a dual ring with say 36-22 or something (a little more range would be good). But typical dual rings are for the road and usually have a 50 or bigger big ring. Even the one dual I found is 46-38, which is actually bigger than on my old bike. Maybe I'll just build my own with individual parts. I don't have enough experience to know if I can do that. Or I'll just get a triple mt. set up and just never use the big ring. But then it's an issue of if it will fit. See?

700c, yes.

I didn't buy the stem from him, so that's lucky I guess.

14. otc

otc Senior member

Is this going to be on road or off road?

on road with an IGH, I would probably try something in the mid 40's (the standard cyclocross single ring setup often uses a 42). I have a standard road double on my road bike and with hard, narrow 700c tires, and a 9s cassette, I can use either ring. The front shifter was broken for a while so I was stuck in the big ring (52 or 53) and it wasn't a problem although chicago is pretty flat. Then it broke the other way and I was stuck in the small ring (probably a 42...might be smaller) and it was also fine although it didn't like going into the smallest cog in back.

Off road of course you will be smaller...but IGH hubs don't hold up well off road. Certainly on a mountain bike with fat 26" tires, a 53t chainring would never be used, even on pavement.

If you want a size you can't get, you can always buy a new ring to fit on your crank. If you buy a compact crank (52/34 or so), you can replace the 52 with a 46 and be pretty close to what you want.

15. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Slowly ordering parts for my new bike. So far I've got the brakes, brake levers, and wheels ordered. Next up is visiting a shop and having them spec it for my cranks. I'm going to let them measure and tell me what will fit rather than me and my friend doing it and risking it. once that is done, I'll order the drivetrain. Not much left after that.

b