• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Both color options on the SL7 are stunning.

I'm sure you are sick of hearing it by now but MTB pedals are a nice compromise. Dual sided entry, you can get super stiff carbon soled shoes just like a roadie (or not) but you also get recessed cleats making it [slightly] easier to walk around. XT level are right around $120 and come with cleats. Shimano road pedals are fantastic as well, 105 and Ultegra will run you $150 and $200 respectively.

I've also seen a little aftermarket platform adapter that clips into the pedal and then you have flats and clipless all in one. You can even use a toe strap on them.

I've never tried these but they look like a good idea. A bike as nice as yours really needs clipless pedals. Even if you don't like them immediately, I'm confident you'll want them down the road.

View attachment 1630404

RE: power meter? I'm with @sugarbutch, it's overkill unless you are training for something. The fact that you are already cranking out 30+ mile rides in DC heat and humidity is measurable enough :worship:.

Edited to add:

One thing that I wasn't clear about was the wireless capability of Ultegra Di2. I'd read that that it had the ability to monitor battery life, adjust shifting, troubleshoot, etc. through your phone. While all that is true, the bike doesn't come equipped with wireless capability off the rack. You need to buy and install the wireless adapter.

I haven't bothered yet.

Here's what you need -
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-di2-inline-wireless-unit-ew-wu111
and a wire
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-ultegra-di2-wire
The eTap Bluetooth version was even pricier but more than I needed. I just want to skip to the version where HAL 9000 tells me what's up with my bike. :-D

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
And for me cycling is about bliss.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am able to ignore it when it's not useful. On yesterday's ride I was on the route page the whole time, so I rode by feel. I'd forgotten to put on my HRM, too, so I didn't even have the LEDs at the top telling me what heart rate zone I was in.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The only thing I use the HRM is to judge whether or not I'm blowing myself up and judge that against what stage in my ride I'm at. So like, I don't want to see 160 on a flat segment three miles in type thing.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if eventually high end bikes with Ultegra, SRAM Force and up will start coming equipped with a power meter from the factory.
Makes sense once Bluetooth is standard on mid-tier bikes I guess.

On the flip side we will then get regular reports on our fitness from the NSA… o_O

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, 90 minute countdown to Trek store opening and Domane acquisition!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to the pics and subsequent GCN Bike Vault submission.

What ride do you have planned today? A short metric century around Virginia to break it in ??
Got surprised by the sudden arrival. Taking nephews to newly re-opened National Gallery of Art today followed by elegant anniversary dinner with wifey tonight. Will get ride in tomorrow! Wifey may get grumpy that dinner table conversation may be cycling-oriented.

EDIT: how many times am I expected to fall on ****** as I can't unclip my shoes on first ride?

Also, need to reconfigure my first floor study to accommodate bike rack. Not leaving new purchase in apartment bike cage.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Remember the set screw on the back of the pedal can adjust how firmly the cleat is locked in. As 10 second adjustment can really make clipping out more to your preference.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember the set screw on the back of the pedal can adjust how firmly the cleat is locked in. As 10 second adjustment can really make clipping out more to your preference.
I'm working with the Store Manager for a half-hour or so to go over the details of the bike and will have them adjust the pedals. thanks for the heads-up!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics