• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my needs I found the Domane and Specialized's comparable model, the Roubaix the best all around bike. They have a bit more compliance than the Madone and Tarmac and a shorter reach/higher stack. Both take relatively big tires now (32mm at least) and would be a decent bike on most surfaces. I think modern carbon frames will handle anything you can throw at it for many years. I'd not worry about durability unless crashed.

As you mentioned in the car thread, bike stock's been low for over a year so if you see something you like, you may want to jump on it. That said things may be getting better, my LBS had two Specialized Aethos in a coveted spec/size (Ultegra, 56cm) on the showroom floor a couple of weeks ago. I'm guessing they sold quickly.

Good luck in your search! Keep us posted.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be concerned about riding out of the saddle. CF frames are extremely strong for their intended use (which very much includes getting out of the saddle). If they can take the monstrous wattage of World Tour sprinters, I don’t think you’ll exceed the performance envelope.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story, short - I'm an 30yr+ rider who started in MTB and moved to hybrid type bikes about 10 years ago when I found myself no-longer making it to trails but still biking on a lot of rough road including cobblestones. I'm currently on a 2018 Trek DualSport 4 that I've since replaced the 42t with a GRX 46t drivetrain for higher top end and can now out pedal in some situations. Keep in mind that coming at this from an MTB background means I'm standing up out of the saddle a lot; that's just a normal aggressive riding position for me.

I've been looking at migrating to something faster either a gravel bike or a road bike with 50t that is a more all-arounder than a road focused model. I am considering a Trek Domane SL5 or, maybe, a Checkpoint SL5. While I was concerned having to leave my standing-out-of-the-saddle technique behind and adopt the seated handlebar position was going to take time and effort, I thought it was worth trying - thinking "I'll just keep standing when necessary and work my way out of it" - until I read some things that said doing that is potentially very bad for a road bike especially a CF one; that they aren't built for that.

Last point, while I originally thought I'd replace my DS with the Domane, I've come around to the idea of keeping both; so while a lot of people point out the Domane's ability to run wider tires and be a good road bike as well as limited trail bike, I'd keep my DS for any trail or bad-weather riding.

So a couple of Qs:
  • Is the standing + pedaling out of the saddle really a no-no for the Domane/Checkpoint as I transition to the new position or is that overblown?
  • Input from anyone who has had a similar journey from Mtb/gravel/hybrid to road bike and had to adapt.
  • In central Florida, I have a lot of Trek dealers in proximity, but suggestions for other bikes I should be looking at?

Am hoping to take a test ride of both back-to-back tomorrow and possible pull the trigger on the Domane within a week.

Appreciation in advance!

(+thanks @patrick_b for pointing me here from the cars thread!)
Interesting. I've had a Trek DS 8.5 for 5 years now and have upgraded to a (hopefully arriving within the week) Domane. I intend to keep both. I'll use the DS for urban riding and the work commute and use the Domane for longer rides on weekends and days off.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am considering a Trek Domane SL5...

This is the correct choice. Integrated storage and then get your Zipp 303 Firecrests on.

ETA: Hey, wait! Don't you drive an XC90 too?

Zipp.jpg

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ISE (integrated-storage enthusiasts) should note that the SWAT system is included in higher-spec Specialized Diverge builds.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ISE (integrated-storage enthusiasts) should note that the SWAT system is included in higher-spec Specialized Diverge builds.
I'm just going to fill mine with Johnnie Walker Black airplane bottles.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I had money to burn, I'd add one of these to the quiver. It would likely get more use than my HT MTB. SWAT storage, 1x drivetrain, Roval carbon hoops, Force eTap and clearance for 47mm tires and nice [almost] Guards red paint.

96220-10_DIVERGE-PRO-CARBON-ETAP-REDWD-SMK-CHRM_HERO.jpg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would probably go for the frame set and build it up to my preferences.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the correct choice. Integrated storage and then get your Zipp 303 Firecrests on.

View attachment 1628908
Great + you're not the first I've heard about Zipps from; will checking it out.

Also, as much as I really, really want the titanium orange it's impossible to find so I'm actually looking at a red one; just. like. that!

ETA: Hey, wait! Don't you drive an XC90 too?
I do!!!

1624395359224.png

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard Tinker Juarez' name in 25 years. I saw him win a NORBA XC race back in the 90's at Mount Snow, VT. The scene was wild back then. We brought our bikes and rode all over the course to watch from different spots. We even got to see Lance Armstrong the following year (99) race in the Pro XC. Like everyone else, I was such a fan of his back then. the whole mountain was star struck. He'd just won his first TDF a month or so before.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there a Volvo-Trek sex cult I don’t know about? Where does the fire glass come into it?
“Is there a ____ sex cult” is the same question as “is there p0rn for ____”. The answer is always yes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads