• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When did kickstands become so uncool. Too much drag or weight? Too dorky? They are fairly practical. I had one on my DS 8.5 but it got bent smashing into a curb so I removed it.
I think it's a snobby bike guy thing. It also applies to dork disk and reflectors and I'm very guilty of it. If I had a bike that I just used as a city/beach cruiser, I'd use a kick stand. But since my bikes are lightweight performance bikes, I don't want the extra weight (not that it really matters). I'm actually down a few pounds this year after a fairly sedentary winter.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's a snobby bike guy thing. It also applies to dork disk and reflectors and I'm very guilty of it. If I had a bike that I just used as a city/beach cruiser, I'd use a kick stand. But since my bikes are lightweight performance bikes, I don't want the extra weight (not that it really matters). I'm actually down a few pounds this year after a fairly sedentary winter.
"dork disc?"

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The plastic disc on the rear wheel designed to stop your chain from popping off the granny gear and into the hub.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plastic disc on the rear wheel designed to stop your chain from popping off the granny gear and into the hub.
Like the long fiberglass pole with orange flag my Mom made me put on my cool red Schwinn with the banana seat.

1621446683215.png

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pretty funny to see dork disc mentioned here today, as by coincidence I had just learned the term this morning!

New to cycling beyond short jaunts in the hood, meanwhile I have an old Cannondale Bad Boy ca. 2000 that I am trying to get into more usable form. Replaced a cable/housing, adjusted the brakes and the derailleur. (Park tool videos FTW, shop could get to it for over 1 month)

Somewhere along the way the severely yellowed dork disc disintegrated, after searching for a replacement decided to leave it off for now.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A carbon bike likely isn’t designed to accommodate the forces of a kickstand at the typical mounting locations.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A carbon bike likely isn’t designed to accommodate the forces of a kickstand at the typical mounting locations.
That sounds a bit odd. I’m sure it could work.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds a bit odd. I’m sure it could work.

It probably would, but especially on high end bikes, the frame is engineered for very specific forces. I wouldn’t dream of pinching the frame on a $5000 frame. It’d be too easy to over tighten the bölt and destroy the bike.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can get a handmade carbon stand: https://upstandingbicycle.com/shop/the-upstand/

Not really a kickstand though, you have to slide it into place...not sure I really see the point.

There are a handful of reasons why nobody wants normal kickstands:
1. They are heavy--doesn't make sense to put something heavy on a bike where you pay $$$ to reduce weight.
2. They hold the bike up when you walk away...you know what else holds the bike up? The post you locked it to. If you're going to carry around some extra weight, a small lock is better.
3. Not a lot of room for the standard bottom bracket mount kickstands on a lot of modern bikes (especially now that tires are growing).
4. Rear-axle mount kickstands don't work as well and with the addition if kickstands and giant cassettes...they no longer have anywhere to clamp to.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The tube walls on carbon bikes are super thin and not at all intended for clamping. If there isn’t a boss incorporated to mount something, I wouldn’t put it on the frame

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tube walls on carbon bikes are super thin and not at all intended for clamping. If there isn’t a boss incorporated to mount something, I wouldn’t put it on the frame
Okay, makes sense. I have zero experience with carbon bikes.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When did kickstands become so uncool. Too much drag or weight? Too dorky? They are fairly practical. I had one on my DS 8.5 but it got bent smashing into a curb so I removed it.
Uncool dorkiness are the least of the cons. The bolded terms are the main reasons to avoid kickstands. They are not any more practical than a wall, can, mail box, lamp-post, tree, etc., and can be dangerous, simply not worth it.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Many carbon-fiber frames have very robust bottom bracket areas and solid/reinforced dropout areas, esp disc frames or all-road, gravel/cross, or mtb frames. It is not only the structural nature of the material. Any lightweight frame (whether high-end steel c-f, steel, alu, or ti) will pose similar clamping risks, in that clamping any accessories on tubes should be avoided, period. Another reason is that for the more stable kick-stand, a center-mount type, there is often not enough clearance between the seat tube and the wheel to properly seat most kick-stand clamps. Otoh rear-mount (at the dropout or disc tab) kick-stands are often pretty unstable, flimsy, and really not worth the hassle.

Kick-stands are more risky than they are useful, perhaps the exception (besides a child's bicycle) being if one rides a fat-tubed, long c-stay leisure beach cruiser type of thing. But even then, why?

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kick-stands are more risky than they are useful, perhaps the exception, besides a child's bicycle, being if one rides a fat-tubed, long c-stay leisure beach cruiser type of thing. But even then, why?

Scene 1(guy on cruiser bike rolling down the bike path adjacent to Venice Beach)

Two bikini wearing hotties lower their sunglasses to check him out.

Dude rolls to a stop and engages the bike’s kickstand.

Hotties roll their eyes and look away to a dorky guy ( @edinatlanta ) on a bike without a kickstand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads