• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How do you guys deal with not filling up your handlebars with stuff? My Trek DS 8.5 currently has an iPhone mount for the 7 Plus, bell, and small Bontrager headlight which seems like a lot.

When the Domane arrives I'll likely grab one of the small headlights that mounts below and just in front of the handlebars. Not sure I want to add a bell and may just keep phone in my Camelbak. Still resisting buying a bike-specific computer.
I use the QuadLock system. Out Front on my gravel bike, Out Front Pro on my road bike.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Garmin mounts on the stem. I only use lights on my road bike, with that mounted to the handlebar or aerobars. Everything else goes in a jersey pocket or in the Camelbak.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just installed the new tubeless tires (Schwalbe - Pro One TLE HS 493 Tubeless). No issues getting them on, not too tight, holding air fine so far (about 2 hours) and they seated just fine with a floor pump. Just have to pump fast for the first few strokes (TWSS).

IMG_6529.jpg
IMG_6532.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have used this app for years for hiking and general nav. Pretty stellar. Will try for cycling and see how it works.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
******* gorgeous, mate.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys deal with not filling up your handlebars with stuff?
By being rationally minimal, rather than loading up the bars unnecessarily (especially those "but I gotta have 'em for better performance!!! 'aero' bars"...) like a LandRover fully kitted out for Paris-Dakar.

> The Spurcycle bell is tiny, and can be mounted from under the bar. It occupies minimal real estate.

> No night riding on the road bicycles, so no lights there (other than small rear flasher), but yes to the computer.

> No training, racing, etc., on the other bicycles, so no computer there, but definitely yes to the lights.

> I think the phone (and the 7Plus is even larger than mine) is useless on the bars, so it goes into the saddlebag or jersey pocket, with the tools.

The bars are mainly shape and tape, and not clutter, which is nice.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to keep my phone in my pocket, but Bluetooth signal is absorbed by the body, so my headphones weren't consistently able to maintain a connection.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to keep my phone in my pocket, but Bluetooth signal is absorbed by the body, so my headphones weren't consistently able to maintain a connection.
This was maddening, but also a problem that AirPods completely solved

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tubeless tires held air all night so I guess I'm good now? I just got used to pumping up my MTB tubeless every so often but they were early gen tubeless. For you guys running current gen tubeless on the road, do they leak at all with the stans inside?

Also so strange to run Zipp's recommended PSI of 54/58 PSI at my weight & tire width (195lbs, 30mm tires). They feel fine but I keep thinking that it's way too low. With tubes and my old wheels, I was running 85-90 PSI with 28mm tires.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This was maddening, but also a problem that AirPods completely solved
Between the fit in my ears and the lack of a retention system, AirPods aren't for me. I'm using Aeropex AfterShokz now. Despite their claims, I don't think the sound quality is particularly good for music, but I listen to podcasts and they're plenty good enough for that.
Tubeless tires held air all night so I guess I'm good now? I just got used to pumping up my MTB tubeless every so often but they were early gen tubeless. For you guys running current gen tubeless on the road, do they leak at all with the stans inside?

Also so strange to run Zipp's recommended PSI of 54/58 PSI at my weight & tire width (195lbs, 30mm tires). They feel fine but I keep thinking that it's way too low. With tubes and my old wheels, I was running 85-90 PSI with 28mm tires.
They'll generally hold pressure very well, but you'll get tiny punctures which seal up but still let out some air. It's good practice to check pressures before you ride.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I still can't believe you went and bought my hoops before I did. :(

They look great though. How do you like the rubber?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads