• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So basically the same price as a new Ducati

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Can you still get a Ducati for under $20K?

Edit: yes you can! That seems like a steal.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can you still get a Ducati for under $20K?

Edit: yes you can! That seems like a steal.

Yeah, 20k buys you a lot of ducati...more ducati than most people would actually want.

I've always found the relation between motorcycle and bicycle stuff to be interesting...A lot of times the bike part costs significantly more than corresponding motorcycle parts despite the fact that the motorcycle part takes significantly more material, is subjected to more force, and has much higher consequences of failure. Motorcycle repair labor also doesn't seem to be very expensive despite the fact that you basically need the skillset of a skilled MTB mechanic (suspension parts on top of all the normal parts) plus the gas-engine skillset.

Can you explain it with market size and scale the way you can with car parts (limited number of modes, reused parts across many models/years)? I don't have any hard data, but I imagine that even if you throw out department-store bikes, there are probably more bikes sold every year than motorcycles. Very few people who actually rely on a motorcycle these days so both fall under the "hobby/toy" umbrella.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heading back to Brown County this weekend to camp, ride, and take advantage of the warm weather.

Also lined up some bike rentals for my wife and one of my friends...get them on some of the easier trails and hope they enjoy it. I'm planning to ride in the morning first so I'll be worn out when it comes time to ride with them :)

We'll see how that goes. The park has a delightful green trail that departs from the campground which should be a fun intro to trail riding. Depending on how that goes, There's a very fun blue flow trail that connects to that--fast bermy/rolly downhill with difficulty is controlled by the brakes (no jumps or drops)--but the downside is a that you are left with a fairly big climb to get out of it that might be a turnoff to newbies.
Other option is to coast down some paved roads to some green XC singletrack. I haven't had a chance to ride that stuff yet so I don't know how fun it is.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Alright lads, back to the SF Classroom. I throw a paper plane to get the attention of @Fueco . .

I just ordered a 1" Threadless stem for the Wife's 94? Cadex CFM3 . To fit on those Marzocchis i got hanging around. but when i shop for bearings i get 2 bearing cup options.

Which bearing cup size is the right one for this bike?

This is the period correct looking stem.
s-l1600.jpg

with the alloy Kore Bars i got, and some lighter bearings, I think the new setup won't make the bike much heavier with shocks VS the stock all cro-mo/steel parts. but it might lower the weight distribution. And yes, it is all quite a beefy upgrade.
I think it's going to pay dividends when we hit the trails in Springtime.
Going further, Purple Anodized axle skewers, and some V-brakes. Avid if got money to save weight, or whatever is in stock Shimano locally. (not preferred-too modern)
-It does need fresh brakes.
She only weighs around 53 kilos. So i think the standard wheelset will hold up.
It will need some tires. 26/1.75 and walking trail suitable. Ideas?
Thinking Tioga comp 3 repops?

Her bike needs to be capable to hang with mine. but look like a period correct?? Bike.
Or i think it would look weird.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ooh baby, this lookin like some great weather to be biking through the fall foliage:
1604679127774.png

Creeping on some randos' instagram posts, there are still fall colors in the trees although not as spectacular as they were a couple weeks ago:
1604679486780.png

kasper007

Reaction score
I got a Kickr as COVID was bubbling up, I actually bought it the last day before Wahoo removed their huge deal on refurb units. I never imagined I would be using it as much as I am. Zwift is really addicting and I found riding indoor a lot more enjoyable that I ever thought it could be. I live in the heart of a city (Toronto) that is very spread out so getting out far enough that you can really ride and do structured workouts is at least 45 min of riding so even in the summer, I did 1 or 2 indoor sessions just focused on really hard workouts. Not to mention that Southern Ontario is as flat as a pancake so no luck with climbing (which I really enjoy) so it's been really awesome and motivating to have access to a lot of long climbs (ie. Alpe d'Huez, Ventoux, etc). I'm actually getting a Climb for Christmas ;)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm trying out Sufferfest first. I want to do their 4DP test and get a training plan. My friends are on Zwift, but it is not inherently interesting to me.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
DP? /HRoi

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Huh. The Black Bibs sight is offline.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics