• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was taking a break on this morning's ride another cyclist told me my whip was beautiful. When I said it was my first bike in 20 some years and I'd just started up again he told me I'd made the perfect choice. /strut
You should have shown him that stripper-thong you keep in the secret storage...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You should have shown him that stripper-thong you keep in the secret storage...

Brah, if I go showing folks my secret storage my douche-bag is gonna get stolen!

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really need to get that MTB/gravel bike running haha

weekend ride with the better half

C2F45309-D1CE-44D8-BDE9-AF39C96879FE.jpeg
FF44B0A1-116F-4AAE-A24E-6F8959FDDA42.jpeg
AB6E2CC9-C1B4-45D8-9BC2-184AA7C5BD42.jpeg
78E0C8FE-364C-44D8-B2B4-256F5CAC47E5.jpeg
5998A5E1-E172-4062-9E73-A445D4E0AE20.jpeg
9E54BBD3-5BF1-42B9-8541-CE370F0A167F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
FWIW, as of Sunday, cleats are so dialed in. The only little niggle is my left heel will just barely clip the chain stay if I let the float move my heel all the way in. Think I might move the cleat back a few mm and see if that moves my heel out of any possible contact range.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, as of Sunday, cleats are so dialed in. The only little niggle is my left heel will just barely clip the chain stay if I let the float move my heel all the way in. Think I might move the cleat back a few mm and see if that moves my heel out of any possible contact range.
I have my cleats about as far back as they'll go. Rode for quite a while with them in line with the ball of my foot, but since moving them back, my calves and achilles tendons are much happier

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good idea on the drops @venessian
I noticed I had some nagging wrists lately and revisited your post. Adjusted the saddle again after the bars got adjusted and it’s a whole new ride
although I do need toe clips and straps
View attachment 1458411 View attachment 1458412
?
Good. I'm glad the fit feels better. Your neck/back will like it.
The bonus is the front end now looks a lot cleaner, more together and "correct".

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
?
Good. I'm glad the fit feels better. Your neck/back will like it.
The bonus is the front end now looks a lot cleaner, more together and "correct".

yeah raising the stem up helped a lot with the reach as well. Thanks!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah raising the stem up helped a lot with the reach as well. Thanks!
Anytime. Happy to help.

If you will be looking for clips/straps, go for nylon straps, not leather.
Leather will disintegrate shortly in the Calgary weather I bet, if they get often in moist slush/salt.

Alternative to nylon straps are the nylon (or beautiful but $$$: stainless steel*) strapless cages, just one-piece affairs, but of course those offer much less to no actual adjustment.

Or, buy some mtb shoes and Shimano SPDs, Time ATAC cleats or Speedplay Frogs (o-o-p now since Wahoo bought Speedplay :-(). All 3 are great, durable cleats; mtb shoes are easier to walk in than road shoes; and Shimano even has a dual-sided cleated (SPD) and platform pedal for athletic shoes/commuting which you might really like. Those 2-siders are very versatile if you have no need to be posed, locked in, loaded, and "really bombing" at 10mph on your new "racing rig"....

*These are stainless steel strapless cages by the late, very great Bruce Gordon. The online store still sells them I think, but...$80/pair. Beautiful stuff though, certified by the founding father of SOPWAMTOS (Society Of People Who Actually Make Their Own ****). A great builder/inventor. RIP.

Toe+Clips+2.jpg

Toe+Clip+4.jpg

These are the Shimano M324 Dual-Sided SPD pedals, one side SPD clip-in, the other side straight flat (aka "platform").
31ca927c-9558-4287-9797-452654b4350c

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anytime. Happy to help.

If you will be looking for clips/straps, go for nylon straps, not leather.
Leather will disintegrate shortly in the Calgary weather I bet, if they get often in moist slush/salt.

Alternative to nylon straps are the nylon (or beautiful but $$$: stainless steel*) strapless cages, just one-piece affairs, but of course those offer much less to no actual adjustment.

Or, buy some mtb shoes and Shimano SPDs, Time ATAC cleats or Speedplay Frogs (o-o-p now since Wahoo bought Speedplay :-(). All 3 are great, durable cleats; mtb shoes are easier to walk in than road shoes; and Shimano even has a dual-sided cleated (SPD) and platform pedal for athletic shoes/commuting which you might really like. Those 2-siders are very versatile if you have no need to be posed, locked in, loaded, and "really bombing" at 10mph on your new "racing rig"....

*These are stainless steel strapless cages by the late, very great Bruce Gordon. The online store still sells them I think, but...$80/pair. Beautiful stuff though, certified by the founding father of SOPWAMTOS (Society Of People Who Actually Make Their Own ****). A great builder/inventor. RIP.

Toe+Clips+2.jpg

Toe+Clip+4.jpg

I won’t be riding in winter so no worries on snow and slush. Those strapless contraptions are nice though!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won’t be riding in winter so no worries on snow and slush. Those strapless contraptions are nice though!
Yeah they are OK. The nylon ones are very inexpensive, but you can't bend them to fit like you can w/metal. The Bruce Gordon ones are terrific, but...at that point cleats are more useful in most cases.

If using straps, I also preferred nylon over leather because the leather tends to really form a divot at the buckles, and then are more difficult to adjust on the fly (plus the leather cracks/wears at the buckle, like any belt or strap).

As far as toe-clip pedals are concerned, there are many variants. MKS Sylvan and similar is the classic style, but also very old-school now, so just google "toe clip pedals" to see what you might like best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads