• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything Sheldon wrote about dynamo lighting is going to be dated at this point. Technology has improved, and its improved fast. Also Sheldon wasn’t a great mechanic, Harris made a name with Elton Pope Lance as a mechanic. Sheldon was a great aggregator of info but you need to take what he said with a grain of salt.
Even though Brown has passed, Harris Cyclery still maintains and updates the various topics. It is still a good resource, a good start at least, and there aren't that many around. I wouldn't dismissively sniff at it so.

Almost everything we read should be taken with a grain of salt, then, if you know what I mean....

Alexidb

Reaction score
Even though Brown has passed, Harris Cyclery still maintains and updates the various topics. It is still a good resource, a good start at least, and there aren't that many around. I wouldn't dismissively sniff at it so.

Almost everything we read should be taken with a grain of salt, then, if you know what I mean....
I dunno, I knew Sheldon for 2/3rds of my life. I think he’d prefer I dismissively sniffed.

emptym

Reaction score
You can mount any light to a fork. The width of the mounting point is fairly standardized and the B&M mounts are available aftermarket if needed.
I'm sure it's possible... But not a lot of lights are made for mounting to a fork, at least not to the hole at the top. Do you know any other battery operated ones that are made for that? Most are made for the handlebar. I'd ideally like one that mounts to the front of the stem, right at the center of the handlebar. Neat that you knew SB.

Might be a good idea. You surely know much more about site traffic than I do, but this thread is pretty moribund here.
I switched it over when I posted earlier. Seems to have worked a bit already. Or it could just be JM's good questions that have drawn out some posts.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I knew Sheldon for 2/3rds of my life. I think he’d prefer I dismissively sniffed.
He must have been a real character in real life.
The site is still a valuable resource in my opinion, regardless, and I'm glad they maintain it to some degree.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I switched it over when I posted earlier. Seems to have worked a bit already. Or it could just be JM's good questions that have drawn out some posts.
Right, I just noticed that. Where was it before, "Health and Body"?

I hope the new address has more curb appeal. :)

Alexidb

Reaction score
I'm sure it's possible... But not a lot of lights are made for mounting to a fork, at least not to the hole at the top. Do you know any other battery operated ones that are made for that? Most are made for the handlebar. I'd ideally like one that mounts to the front of the stem, right at the center of the handlebar.
Ahh sorry I thought you meant dynamo. There are ways to mount a light dead center on a stem, what type of stem are you using?
The easiest way to mount a battery light to the brake/fender hole on a fork is to get a B&M style mount two 1inch top caps and a 20mm 1inch spacer. Mount the two top caps on either side of the spacer, push it into the space where the light would usually mount (you’re going to need to spread it a bit) and put a bolt and nut thru it. Any light you can strap to a handle bar can now be mounted to the spacer.

Neat that you knew SB.
The bike world is incredibly small, if you’re in the industry you’ll rub shoulders with every segment and even if procyclists and dirty hippies like Sheldon don’t have a lot in common on the surface they’re generally curious about what’s going on in the others world. The funny thing is the snobbery generally runs the opposite direction then you think it would. People like Grant Peterson and bro-dude mtbrs are more dismissive then most road cyclists who are generally like little hyper puppies. “You like bikes? I like bikes! Tell me about your bike! What does this do? What’s this thingie? Etc ad nauseam”

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure it's possible... But not a lot of lights are made for mounting to a fork, at least not to the hole at the top. Do you know any other battery operated ones that are made for that? Most are made for the handlebar. I'd ideally like one that mounts to the front of the stem, right at the center of the handlebar. Neat that you knew SB.

My secret skunkworks project is to take some lights in this style https://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-led-2-6lm-625nm-3-mode-red-light-bike-tail-safety-light-black-2-x-cr2032-2037273#

And drill out the rivet on the back and replace it with a screw for mounting to the fork hole.

Would make for a slick looking "be seen" light and be moderately antitheft (I've had good luck with cheapo blinkies not being stolen so long as they cannot be removed by hand).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Jr Mouse, I have the B&M Eyro. I wouldn't recommend it though. I liked how it had a light + reflector and mounted on the fork. It's fine for an urban commute but not good for dark trails.
That was one of the B&M battery powered lights I was looking at. Is the problem with the amount of light it produces? I've read some complaints about that.

Alexidb

Reaction score

emptym

Reaction score
Right, I just noticed that. Where was it before, "Health and Body"?

I hope the new address has more curb appeal. :)
Yep, H&B. I hope it does too, and I think the fit is better here, since the thread has been more about design and function of bikes and their parts than training tips or how many miles we've ridden on them.

Ahh sorry I thought you meant dynamo. There are ways to mount a light dead center on a stem, what type of stem are you using?
The easiest way to mount a battery light to the brake/fender hole on a fork is to get a B&M style mount two 1inch top caps and a 20mm 1inch spacer. Mount the two top caps on either side of the spacer, push it into the space where the light would usually mount (you’re going to need to spread it a bit) and put a bolt and nut thru it. Any light you can strap to a handle bar can now be mounted to the spacer.

The bike world is incredibly small, if you’re in the industry you’ll rub shoulders with every segment and even if procyclists and dirty hippies like Sheldon don’t have a lot in common on the surface they’re generally curious about what’s going on in the others world. The funny thing is the snobbery generally runs the opposite direction then you think it would. People like Grant Peterson and bro-dude mtbrs are more dismissive then most road cyclists who are generally like little hyper puppies. “You like bikes? I like bikes! Tell me about your bike! What does this do? What’s this thingie? Etc ad nauseam”
That's a really interesting idea for a fork mount. I might do that on a MTB, but for a commuter, I'd want something more theft-proof and minimalist. Same goes for the side fork mount Jr. Mouse posted. With that one, I'd also worry that the light would slip off the side.

Interesting about GP too. I keep meaning to read his books. He seems like the DWFII of bikes. @dopey has a bike from him iirc.

I have a Ritchey Classic MTB stem. Would love any suggestions for a small, hard to steal, mostly "be seen" light that would mount on the front of the stem. Really, I'd like something totally integrated like the Lightskin handlebar and seat post. I really like the new Euro model seatpost with extended LEDs that are visible from the sides. Those plus a dynamo would be ideal imo: integrated, unseen, reliable, very tough to steal.

This Schindelhauer bike has an interesting headlight. Wonder how well it'd survive getting banged up.Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 8.50.33 AM.png

My secret skunkworks project is to take some lights in this style https://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-led-2-6lm-625nm-3-mode-red-light-bike-tail-safety-light-black-2-x-cr2032-2037273#

And drill out the rivet on the back and replace it with a screw for mounting to the fork hole.

Would make for a slick looking "be seen" light and be moderately antitheft (I've had good luck with cheapo blinkies not being stolen so long as they cannot be removed by hand).
I like that idea. The light you posted has a screw in the back, at least that's what one of the pictures shows:
Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 11.42.23 PM.png
Try it and report back!
That was one of the B&M battery powered lights I was looking at. Is the problem with the amount of light it produces? I've read some complaints about that.
Yeah, it doesn't have a lot of light, and the beam is focused in a very small patch, with some side spill for being seen. My main problem with it is that it broke after about three months of use and Busch and Muller hasn't responded to my email.
You can make one of those super cheap. Problem Solvers makes a more wallet friendly version and Nitto makes a more expensive version.

However these mount off the side of the fork and not off the center of the fork crown, which I think @emptym was looking for.
Yep, I was thinking of the crown.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ooh, that one has a screw. Most are more like a rivet. Only problem I see is that the back plate is usually also the conductor for the battery so it may be hard to get a big bolt in there. Despite costing like $2, I've kept putting off actually offering any lights.

I do agree that all of those solutions that provide a little tube for a bar Mount light just seem like hacks and are not attractive. Lights look better when seamlessly bolted into place.

emptym

Reaction score
Wow, Busch and Mueller still hasn't replied to my email, but Amazon.de immediately refunded my money after I let them know the light broke and asked if it was possible to get it repaired.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh, I think my frame is out of alignment. Probably should have checked before planning and starting a build, but nothing really seemed amiss. At first I just thought my wheel was dished wrong, but I did a string test and it looks like it is off.

Now I have to decide if I want to bust out a 2x4 or take it to a professional...

Small chance it was just always like this and can be handled by dishing the wheel a little more.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.