1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by kronik, Apr 30, 2009.

1. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I started my actual build by stripping the remnants off my frame and then cleaning and polishing it.

Amazing what a little time in the hands of a thief (or at least a known stolen-goods purchaser) can do...
    • cheapo plastic bottle cage barely came off because the bolts had been installed with no grease and were almost fully rusted.
    • one downtube cable stop was installed with a bent bolt with an ugly oversized head. How did he even lose the original bolt? Why would you even take these off a frame?
    • the remaining Paul Minimoto was set up with two left-side springs (it needs different tension springs for either side)
    • dude removed the bottom bracket cable guide...but it was glued in place so now I gotta figure out how to get glue/epoxy off without damaging the finish or find the exact same cable guide so it will fit within the existing epoxy remnants.
    • Headset has some nicks in the chrome...almost like someone tried to grab it with locking pliers or something...it is otherwise a good headset, so I am not going to replace it.
    • I already knew this, but the steerer tube was chopped way too short, even for the slammed stem it was set up with...but I am replacing the fork so it doesn't really matter.
    But hey, now it is a bare, shiny, custom frame again...and I have only had to add a couple of bucks worth of screws and plastic to my shipping list. Going out of town tonight, but will hopefully be able to put some parts on this thing sunday evening :)

2. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

In other news, I need to list my carbon CX bike for sale:
    2018-09-29 15.11.25.jpg

It is a focus mares CX 5.0 with 105. Full carbon frame and fork, super light, one of the last production CX race bikes with cantilever brakes (which I viewed as a positive at the time).

Bought it to replace the above stolen bike...and stopped racing cross soon after. I doubt the bike has more than 100 miles on it.

Anyone have any idea what a fair asking price might be? I'd like to think I could get about $1000 for it.

Was 2.7k retail (although I got it for half that). I see some people trying to sell aluminum mares bikes for a similar price (or more), and this is a full carbon model in great condition (too bad bikes don't have odometers). Even has a giant stack of spacers on the steerer since I never settled on a size and cut it down.

3. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Let's do this

IMG_20181007_144333.jpg

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Maiden voyage on Sunday. I already love this bike. :slayer:

1D156E9D-D71E-4BCC-A254-762D1540F06D.jpeg

5. Jr Mouse

Was hunting on CL for a car trunk rack to travel with my bike and stumbled on a used but in great condition Tubus Logo Evo rear rack. Paid $40. Seems pretty well regarded online and it’s a lot lighter then I expected.

upload_2018-11-6_9-57-24.jpeg

I’m still looking into some kind of front rack/basket/bag solution, but figured this was a good investment to have around.

6. Jr Mouse

While I’m at it any advice or recommendations for trunk mounted racks? Just want something secure enough to safely transport my bike. I’m seeing a lot of them on CL for good prices but don’t know what to look for.

7. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

That's a nice score--Tubus racks are usually $$$. Never had a rack with those separate pannier rails, but I bet they are nice for lowering the center of gravity (and keeping stuff clear of your heels).

Saris Bones are pretty much the gold standard in trunk racks. Easy to load (wheels stay on, simple straps), easy to attach to car without much risk of scratching (just make sure everything is clean when you install)...versatile and cheap. Depending on the car, sometimes you can even still open the trunk with the rack attached as long as the bike is off and you are careful. A lot of people suggest just getting the 3-bike version even if you usually only have 1-2 bikes...gives you the option to hold more bikes and is a little more burly. Folds up pretty compact for storage too.

Only reason I would go with something else would be if you have a trailer hitch receiver or if you already use roof racks for other things. Or maybe if you have a rear spare tire (but those have become so rare today).

Personally I don't love the roof rack mounts. They have ones now that don't require you to take the front wheel off, but either way it makes your car dangerously tall (and is hard to load if your car is tall in general). The only nice things about them are that they give you full trunk access while the bike is attached and that they would integrate with any existing roof rack system.

Hitch racks can be pretty convenient. They are heavier and more expensive (and you have to get a receiver installed if you don't have one), but they are are easy to install and usually can tilt to give access to trunk/rear door.

8. Jr Mouse

Thanks! I was actually looking at a Saris Bones and it’s good to see them endorsed here. Seen a couple on CL in good condition. They tend to be more expensive, but seems worth the investment.

Those separate rails are supposed to be one of the racks best features. For all the reasons you stated. Plus people say it’s real nice to have the top of the rack clear of where the top of your panniers will hang so items can more easily lay flat.

9. venessian

venessian Distinguished Member

You did well on that Tubus rear rack; Tubus are excellent racks, very high quality.

Regarding trunk-mounted bicycle racks, Saris are great, but really so are those by Yakima, Thule, etc. I do not have a ton of experience in this area, though, since my trunk-mounted rack is a Volvo V70 wagon....

10. Alexidb

Alexidb Senior Member

What kinda front rack/bag are you looking for?

11. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Every time I step on my GF's Raleigh Redux 2, it just oozes fun.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a20968366/raleigh-redux-2-urban-commuter-bike-review/

The fat slicks, hydro discs, and stuff frame just feel so good, even 2 sizes too small.

Picking it up as a price mistake for like $270 before tax might make it the 2nd or 3rd best deal I have ever gotten (best deal being a workgroup class networked laser printer I bought for our college apartment at a huge discount plus rebate, got sent 2 copies of the $200 mail in rebate, and am still using today)

12. Jr Mouse

Scored a Saris 2-bike rack for $40 off Facebook Marketplace. Looks to be in excellent condition. Thanks for the help guys.

13. Jr Mouse

Not a 100% sure but I’m found of the look of those classic boxy style rando bags. If I was going on a tour or needed that much storage I’d likely go in that direction.

Right now I think I just need something smaller to carry a few things with me on shorter rides. I’m found of this this bag from Outershell. Doesn’t require a rack and can be accessed with one hand.

http://www.outershelladventure.com/shop/handlebar-bag

Otherwise a simple Wald basket might be an option as it would give me more flexibility.

14. Alexidb

Alexidb Senior Member

I have this ostrich bag that I really like:
    704E175F-C1D1-45F0-88D2-19068EE5465F.jpeg
    I used to have this Roadrunner bag, but I sold it to buy a much bigger Swift Industry’s bag. 6C149A28-9163-48C9-9802-8E378D29E30F.jpeg
    I also have the ILE porteur bag, but not currently on a bike. It was on this guy, but I sold the bike:
    3BE38EF7-DE3F-4F6D-9782-DDEF360AD59B.jpeg

15. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I love the bigass wald baskets for my grocery getter...

But I'd struggle to put such a thing on your bike...especially when Surly sells multiple front rack options that bolt right on to the holes already in your fork (and other makers also make ones that will also use at least some of the fork holes).

The walds are super cheap chromed steel and they just hook on your handlebars and front axle...great for being cheap and universal, but not particularly elegant.