• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This will tell you how long ago I was up on cycling....my Trek had downtube shifters and I had it converted.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No lie, I've considered building a bike with retroshift levers that let you mount down-tube levers on your brakes:

Gives you the modern convenience of shifting from the hoods, but without the expensive and easily-breakable STI units.

Indexed or friction...honestly, I've never had a problem with friction shifting...it is super easy to feel when the bike is in gear, and you never have to waste time perfectly tuning your shifting setup.

oldandslow

Reaction score
Quote: I run the GP4000 25's on my road bike and they are comfortable on rough pavement and tar and chip roads (southern Ontario). Ok on hard packed dirt too, as I often detour onto a section of rail trail to avoid a busy stretch of road on one my regular routes. Kind of sketchy on some of our gravel roads, which can have 1/2" - 3/4" stones on the surface. If I am going to be riding a fair amount on gravel and/or more 'primitive' rail trail I will opt for the disc bike with 35mm tires.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No lie, I've considered building a bike with retroshift levers that let you mount down-tube levers on your brakes:

^those are great for retro builds (7 and 8 speed). The one thing people forget is to switch up the handlebars to modern (STI friendly shorter/level reach) bars.

when you add sti/brifters to old school bars the reach/position can be awkward.

image2.aspx

Last edited:

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Piobaire -- yup, you can still get the Specialized Armadillos or Conti Gatorskins, While not quite as tough, I'm most partial to Conti's GP 4Seasons in 25 or 28 mm widths. I also like Conti's GP 4000S IIs in 25 mm, but I generally save those for summer. Take all this with a grain of salt, however, as I haven't been out on any of my bikes in over a year. Having a kid just makes running much more efficient.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my mates who has Ultegra electric still dropped his chain mid ride and bent it completely out of shape to the point he had to get his wife to come and pick him up. I said I thought the electronic stuff was supposed to be precision shifting? I guess for me I like the idea of adjusting the derailleur's with a turn of a screw rather than relying on the electronic system.

Everything breaks at some point.

I've read (from people I used to race with) that the electronic shifting stuff is just way better at shifting under load.

I'm still on DA 7800 with a 105 crank (used to have an SRM).

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh sure, I raced for a long time too and was always hard on parts when I did. Im lucky do do 200km a week these days though and I'm not so hard on stuff.

Anyway my mates ultegra is only about 8 months old and it was a simple downshift from big to small chain rings not under hard load. It jumped off in between the cranks and BB and got stuck then of course bent. We were all really surprised.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
You can even get small engines installed discretely on your bike. Just be careful, you can't race with them, and you need to make sure a friend doesn't have a completely identical bike with an engine who happens to be hanging out at the same race, and that the team mechanic doesn't mess up which bike goes where before a championship race. Really important.

(sorry bike people, I've played a lot of competitive sports, but nowhere was the pure asshole to kind of a prick ratio skewed so far to the former than in the world of cycling. Everybody here seems pretty cool, thank god)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They should just say no electronic shifting, and then hit every bike with an EMP right before the race.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I see that cheater used Wilier and I remember many years ago (in Piobtown, actually) visiting some bike stores with a relative, and they pointed out a few super expensive frames from Wilier, so I always held that brand in kind of "epic frame, epic price" territory.

fast forward 11 years and even Wilier is offering an "affordable" well-eqiped option along with their $5K frames:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/w...lciBCaWtlczoxOjI6MTAwMDAxNDcwX2NjQ2F0MTAwMTU3

oldandslow

Reaction score
Out for a 'mixed surface' ride today (rail trail, gravel road, paved road). ~2°C and not much wind. Lake Huron usually has ice as far as you can see this time of year.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice! Up by Erieau?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Ti frame? From what I can tell of the components, that bike isn't messing around.

oldandslow

Reaction score
Quote:
Guru Praemio ti disc frame, and quite possibly the last one built, as Guru shut down shortly after I received this one late last year (we were a dealer). Campy Athena group, FSA SLK cranks (we had a set 'lying around' the store), Reynolds Attack disc carbon wheels, Ritchey fork, Cinelli Neo Morphe handlebar, Deda Superzero seat post, Hope X2 callipers, etc. The Hope V-Twin unit converts the cable pull from the levers to operate the hydraulic calipers. The V-Twin hangs from the fork and sits under the stem. It adds a bit of plumbing, but allows you to use hydraulic calipers with non-hydraulic shifter/brake units. The short run of the cable part of the brake line, and its position up and away from the ground, also minimizes the cable contamination/friction/maintenance that affects fully cable operated systems.
One of the perks of being in the business is that you get to build up and ride some nice bikes, ones you probably couldn't afford or rationalize otherwise!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads