• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gender-bending.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mdietrich2.jpg
Marlene Dietrich looked smashing in a men's suit, yes? I believe they were bespoke from Knize Vienna.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't know what you mean by 'smashing', but i wouldn't say the look is attractive.  she looks like a lesbian in that picture.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i don't know what you mean by 'smashing', but i wouldn't say the look is attractive. Â she looks like a lesbian in that picture.
I meant smashing as one would say it in its context. As a complimentry adjective.
marlene-dietrich-garconne.jpg
marlene_dietrich.jpg
What about these? Her shoes were bespoke from Pinet Paris. She was bisexual by the way.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She was bisexual by the way.

Interesting. I was reading an interesting article about that type of thing recently. And Marlene Dietrich looks pretty hot in every picture taken of her. On the other hand, I know quite a few lesbian women who look like they fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, and the masculine clothing don't look good on 'em. No, it don't.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
She was bisexual by the way.
Interesting. Â I was reading an interesting article about that type of thing recently. Â And Marlene Dietrich looks pretty hot in every picture taken of her. Â On the other hand, I know quite a few lesbian women who look like they fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, and the masculine clothing don't look good on 'em. Â No, it don't.
I once called one Sir by mistake in a store somewhere. She had a military cut, and wire glasses.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once called one Sir by mistake in a store somewhere.

She had a military cut, and wire glasses.
That's not your fault. If your look is so ambiguos that people cannot tell gender, then either change your look or deal with it. Was the person offended?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(LabelKing @ 23 July 2004, 8:02) I once called one Sir by mistake in a store somewhere. She had a military cut, and wire glasses.
That's not your fault. If your look is so ambiguos that people cannot tell gender, then either change your look or deal with it. Was the person offended?
She sort of glared, and corrected me. So I presume she wasn't particularly complacent with this sort of occurence. But then she really shouldn't be wearing men's dress trousers, penny loafers, a dress shirt, and a v neck sweater. All in very bland tones.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Years ago a customer came in for shirts.
Rather strange and squat looking.

Only when My hand brushed a very smooth cheek while going for a neck measurement did I realize that my customer was a woman and not a man.
I made many button down oxford shirts for this customer over the years.

I never questioned anything. Just wrote up the bill and thanked (him) for the order.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
My sister has a book--something to do with makeup--in which the author took some movie stars and did their makeup/dressed them up to look like certain icons. There's one of, like, Charlize Theron or something done up like James Dean. And there's one of Christina Ricci done up like a porcelain doll. I'll try to find the book and post some pictures. It's really interesting how good they look.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Years ago a customer came in for shirts.
Rather strange and squat looking.

Only when My hand brushed a very smooth cheek while going for a neck measurement did I realize that my customer was a woman and not a man.
I made many button down oxford shirts for this customer over the years.

I never questioned anything. Just wrote up the bill and thanked (him) for the order.
I think that a woman who will go to a tailor for a bespoke garment or garments is very glamourous. Somewhat more so than one who orders haute couture.

Of course that would depend on the type of woman. I.e. looks. Bianca Jagger versus your description of a squat person.

kidkim2

Reaction score
LabelKing--

Thank you, thank you, thank you. for the pictures of Marlene Dietrich.  (And if "smashing" isn't le mot juste, I'd like to know what is.)

Good heavens, if more lesbians looked like her, I'd. . . . No, on second thought, I guess I wouldn't.

But, seriously, guys.  Don't overlook sexually ambiguous females.  (And be sure to keep a record of what you learn from them.)

You won't regret it.

Mike

NavyStyles

Reaction score
My sister has a book--something to do with makeup--in which the author took some movie stars and did their makeup/dressed them up to look like certain icons. There's one of, like, Charlize Theron or something done up like James Dean. And there's one of Christina Ricci done up like a porcelain doll. I'll try to find the book and post some pictures. It's really interesting how good they look.
Ken, I'm pretty sure I know what book that is. If it's what I'm thinking, the book is about the work of a make-up artist from Louisiana named Kevyn Aucoin. My friend showed me her copy; that man could do some simply incredible things. Sadly, he died in May 2002. If you can find it, I'd like to see some pictures, because they really are impressive.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
Of course, the other side of this coin is what Hedwig called the "crypto-gay boys". While none of them are gay, they all went for pretty androgynous looks at some point in their careers. Edited to fix linkie.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course, the other side of this coin is what Hedwig called the "crypto-gay boys". While none of them are gay, they all went for pretty androgynous looks at some point in their careers.
Oh, I love the Hedwig movie. And that I believe is David Bowie. The others I do not recognize.
LabelKing-- Thank you, thank you, thank you. for the pictures of Marlene Dietrich. (And if "smashing" isn't le mot juste, I'd like to know what is&#33
wink.gif
Good heavens, if more lesbians looked like her, I'd. . . . No, on second thought, I guess I wouldn't. But, seriously, guys. Don't overlook sexually ambiguous females. (And be sure to keep a record of what you learn from them&#33
wink.gif
You won't regret it. Mike
Thank you. She is one of my favorite photogenic people.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
The others I do not recognize
The other two are Iqqy Pop and Lou Reed. They are like, easily three of my favourite musicians. I loved Hedwig and the Angry Inch as well. Hedwig;
Our East Berlin apartment was so small my mother made me play in the oven
It was really funny and the music was great. There wasn't much in the way of classic men's style but Hedwig fits perfectly in the topic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads