Geelong wool

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SanktDavid, Jun 27, 2012.

1. SanktDavid

SanktDavid Member

Hi,

I recently saw a Geelong wool sweater from William Lockie. My question is what makes Geelong wool different from say Merino wool. I understand that Geelong is an actual Austrailian location but besides that im dumbfounded. Are the strands longer? Softer?.
    The sweater was sold during the summer/spring campaign. Would that perhaps mean its a lighter wool more suitable for the warmer months?

I appreciate any input

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I think we had another thread about this a year or two ago. IIRC the conclusion was that at one point Geelong was used as an indicator to the consumer of wool quality/consistency due the micron width of its wool strands. This was because they tended to use Merino breed sheep, and merino wool is a bit softer and finer than some other wools. I don't know if that's still true; it may well be. Whether the quality is any higher than merino or just the same, I don't know. And how much that matters is, I suppose, another valid question.

Of course, I may be misremembering the above, so am very open to correction! :)