Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Geelong wool

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SanktDavid, Jun 27, 2012.

1. SanktDavid

SanktDavid Member

Hi,

I recently saw a Geelong wool sweater from William Lockie. My question is what makes Geelong wool different from say Merino wool. I understand that Geelong is an actual Austrailian location but besides that im dumbfounded. Are the strands longer? Softer?.
    The sweater was sold during the summer/spring campaign. Would that perhaps mean its a lighter wool more suitable for the warmer months?

I appreciate any input

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

I think we had another thread about this a year or two ago. IIRC the conclusion was that at one point Geelong was used as an indicator to the consumer of wool quality/consistency due the micron width of its wool strands. This was because they tended to use Merino breed sheep, and merino wool is a bit softer and finer than some other wools. I don't know if that's still true; it may well be. Whether the quality is any higher than merino or just the same, I don't know. And how much that matters is, I suppose, another valid question.

Of course, I may be misremembering the above, so am very open to correction! :)