• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GBP tanking, best time to buy bespoke?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So 1 British pound = 1.4876 U.S. dollars. I haven't seen such a good exchange rate in years. It is really tempting to get a bespoke jacket. Currently I've been using WW Chan b/c they were so much cheaper. Now I'm tempted to try a british tailor. Anyone else being tempted by the relatively weak GBP? Should I wait till summer?

Fat-tie-knot

Reaction score
I think the US economy will recover before the British economy. I think the pound sterling will continue to slide against the greenback for the next few months(and aginst the euro too for that matter).

The Fed is basically at 0% they cant get any lower. The BOE on the other hand is at 2%. (http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/) I would think that they'll drop their rates again in Jan. That should put additional downward pressure on the Pound.

The intangible here is the change in administration in the US that the UK does not have.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't try to understand the minutea of foreign exchange otherwise I'd be making $$$ on FOREX. But am I the only one thinking of trying a UK tailor b/c of the exchange rate? I might be also tempted to get a second pair from G&G.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've thought about it, and there are already several threads around about it. Vox mentioned that he's backed up the truck.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm must have missed those threads.

Reaction score
Like poorsod, I'm no currency market expert. I do think there's a possibility that the pound may have been oversold on the markets and may bounce back a little, although nowhere near its level of a year ago. In the last few days it's gained significantly against the euro. So there may be an argument for getting in there now. Enjoy it - make the most of your strong currency. I certainly did over in the US when the Lobb boot was on the other foot.....

newtrane

Reaction score
The BOE is expected to cut rates tomorrow.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Lowest I have noticed is $1.46. It's $1.51 right now.

newtrane

Reaction score
Please think twice about the counterparty risk you are taking when you make substantial deposits with your tailors. It might be better to hold GBP in a bank account or even in cash in the current environment and then transfer the funds when needed.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was considering ordering something from Rubinacci through London to take advantage of the exchange rate, but I think they raised their prices in pounds significantly.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
when we were in London last week it was great as the current exchange made most things comparable to what we'd pay back home. I think the lowest I saw the exchange was 1.45:1 and I just bought a bunch of GBP for our London trip next Xmas just to lock in the good exchange rate

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm heading over to London to visit my brother-in-law at Oxford in mid to late April. Meticulous planning and preparations are underway for my invasion of the factory shops in Northampton (codenamed "Operation Overlord II"). I'd be ecstatic if it dropped into the $1.30-$1.40 range by then - but I"ll live with $1.45-$1.50.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newtrane
It might be better to hold GBP in a bank account... and then transfer the funds when needed.

I agree.

I don't think the pound will go significantly lower, and this afternoon's reaction to a rumour suggesting the BOE won't cut rates at all (not plausible IMO, but who knows) has lead to a spike upwards in its value.

The markets have priced in almost all the downside already. If you're planning UK commissions, build up your UK GBP account right now. But only dip into it when you need to make payments. In the meantime, enjoy any rises in value due to currency movement back in favour of sterling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads