• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Wiltshire MTO

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shoe discovery continues. Back in September, I decided to take a plunge with Gaziano & Girling. A few email exchanges later, I had ordered a pair of Wiltshire in Espresso calf. According to Dean, this was the darkest shade of brown that G&G had.

I really liked the streamlined look of the Wiltshire but this was all based on a single photo on the G&G website. My other concern was that I had never tried on a pair of G&G for sizing. Dean suggested that I try a pair of Edward Greens as the fit was similar. A few more emails and the sizes were confirmed and deposit paid. Turn around was expected to be five months. And so the long wait began...

To my surprise, I get an email a week ago informing me that something was heading my way. Talk about an unexpected surprise.

standard.jpg

I had the Wiltshire made to the soft square last (MH71).

standard.jpg

The packaging is very nice.

standard.jpg

I also asked for a steel toe tip. Lets take that 360 degree spin...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Almost a Cuban heel
smile.gif

The tapering is quite nice although I wasn't expecting this.

Astute SFers may see a slight issue here. Is this something I should be concerned about?

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Now a view from a higher angle

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The soft square last is very nice and gives these pair a very understated look.

standard.jpg

Let us check out the famed G&G beveled waist.

standard.jpg

It is just stunning.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

A shot of the steel toe tip

Now lets get into the detail with some macro shots

standard.jpg

The four thick stitch is a really nice touch

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The soft square toe. Understated elegance.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

A small chip on the welt.

standard.jpg

Is this something I should be concerned about???

standard.jpg

Very nice finish

standard.jpg

BTW, the mahogany shoe trees are beautiful

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with these and impressed with the product. They are elegant but understated. The details are executed very well but I suppose that should be expected for a pair of bench made shoes. The sole takes my breath away as does the bevelled waist but at least I will have these photos to remind me what they were like unmarked.

The fit is very good and I am glad that Dean took the time to guide me through the sizing. My only concern is the balance of the both shoes given that the heel is not perfectly flat. Is this a real issue???

Hope that this was an enjoyable read.

Gaz

PS my wife thinks that I bought this pair because it reflects my nickname.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's a chip on the welt, I think that's where one end of the welt meets the other end as it goes around the shoe.

As for the heel flatness thing, it wouldn't bother me. the moment you put your foot in the shoe will begin to flatten out.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Nice shoes! Great detail on those pics.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How comfy are they ? I have been reading a lot about how GG are also very comfortable and about to get a pair of boots.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
beautiful!

and i wouldn't worry about the heel thing either, it will flatten out once you wear them in.

if you wouldn't mind me asking - what was the damage to the wallet?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some good p0rn here, gazman. Thanks for posting the details.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I don't think that's a chip on the welt, I think that's where one end of the welt meets the other end as it goes around the shoe. As for the heel flatness thing, it wouldn't bother me. the moment you put your foot in the shoe will begin to flatten out.
+1, but it has been discussed ad nauseum in a couple of threads. As far as I recall, some produce shoes that require the weight of the wearer to be applied to become level. Others are "flat of the bat" ... Could you do a side by side of the museum gray /black JLP you posted some time a go? I'm especial interested in heel and throat, the JLP being seamless of course Thanks

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I don't think that's a chip on the welt, I think that's where one end of the welt meets the other end as it goes around the shoe.

As for the heel flatness thing, it wouldn't bother me. the moment you put your foot in the shoe will begin to flatten out.

Thanks for the reassurance. Really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by tlmusic
Very nice shoes, Sir!

Thank you.

Originally Posted by AgentQ
Nice shoes! Great detail on those pics.

Thank you too.

Originally Posted by rssmsvc
How comfy are they ? I have been reading a lot about how GG are also very comfortable and about to get a pair of boots.

Wore them for about three hours today as I checked out the start of the Hong Kong Christmas sales at Lane Crawford Harbour City. Must say, they are extremely comfortable, more so than the Lobbs or Stefano Bemers on first wear. The fit is particularly snug and the creases that are forming give off some nice character. Good luck with the boots.

Originally Posted by stickonatree
beautiful!

and i wouldn't worry about the heel thing either, it will flatten out once you wear them in.

if you wouldn't mind me asking - what was the damage to the wallet?

Thank you. I was quoted GBP510 for the MTO service excluding shoe trees, UPS shipping from the UK to HK and the steel toe tips. I also ordered a G&G cleaning kit. Total was a little over GBP750, which were cheaper than my MTO Lobbs and RTW Bemer.

Originally Posted by Spatlese
Some good p0rn here, gazman. Thanks for posting the details.

No worries. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted by speedster.8
+1, but it has been discussed ad nauseum in a couple of threads. As far as I recall, some produce shoes that require the weight of the wearer to be applied to become level. Others are "flat of the bat" ...

Could you do a side by side of the museum gray /black JLP you posted some time a go?
I'm especial interested in heel and throat, the JLP being seamless of course

Thanks

Will try to do so shortly. Was planning to do a three way comparison between JLP, GG and Cheaney's when I find the time.

Gaz

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love these shoes, could really do with some steel tips myself, as that always seems to be the area that goes first on my shoes.

Can anyone give me some advice there?

Leather man

Reaction score
First of all gazman may I congratulate you on a pair of outstanding shoes.

Secondly may I reassure you regarding the heel. The cuban ( almost) style heel is a trademark of G&G shoes. It gives a smaller heel print yet some say a more comfortable wear experience.

I have eight pairs of G&Gs wonderful shoes and can promise you the heel is not "uneven" but lies perfectly flat on the floor. I find G&G's shoes to be an incredible fit - they support the foot all the way round and in fact I've been wearing my Gable's in Vintage Oak all day today and my feet did hurt or ache once!

I love the Wiltshires and agree that its a very nicely balanced looking shoe in a classy colour.

Now for my next order...........( maybe not for a whiile!)

LM

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads