• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling quality and price level

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Good evening

I was wondering if someone who's familiar with Gaziano&Girling could give me some information on their price levels. Seeing as how prices aren't listed on their website, and their showroom is by appointment only, I figured it'd be best to just ask you knowledgeable gents.

I found an older thread where a gentleman named Roger got a pair MTO for £470. Is this still representative of their MTO prices? It seems almost unreasonably reasonable as from what I gather the quality and workmanship is better than EG MTO, while being £240 less.

To compare apples to apples, what would the damage be for a simple black captoe oxford, and how much do their usually charge extra for MTO?

Thank you in advance...

The Silverfox

Reaction score
I thought the EG was 610 for RWT and 710 for MTO. We're talking about the Chelsea, right?

Either way, prices seem relatively comparable, although I guess prices have gone up a bit since the fellow from the other thread got his in december 2008.

At any rate, now I know approximately where they lie, how big a difference would you guess there is between getting them through Bespoke England and going directly to G&G?

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, G&G quality is high, but not as high as EG. Well above stuff like ferragamo.

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Silverfox
I thought the EG was 610 for RWT and 710 for MTO. We're talking about the Chelsea, right?
Either way, prices seem relatively comparable, although I guess prices have gone up a bit since the fellow from the other thread got his in december 2008.

I was quoted £690 for MTO in Feb (this year) and their cap-toe is the Chelsea model. The RTW model was £585 at the time.

At any rate, now I know approximately where they lie, how big a difference would you guess there is between getting them through Bespoke England and going directly to G&G?
When I got a direct quote from G&G, the difference was small (about £10-15); however, this was last year and they not be a difference anymore.

There advantages of using the Bespoke England route but if you have never tried on G&G shoes, it would be better to make an appoint at C&M on The Row (where G&G have a display of shoes).

artoftime

Reaction score
In my opinion, G&G are the among the best in quality, design, craftsmanship, etc for the $ at the RTW and MTO levels. Having ordered MTO and bespoke from several firms, EG, Lobb, etc - it's tough to beat G&G. Also, FWIW - G&G puts a hell of an effort into their packaging, boxes, bags, trees, accessories - they really go the full Monty.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Well, concerning the chelsea I might be mistaken, but in any case 10 or 20 pounds aren't exactly going to make or break the sale in this pricerange.

I might feel comfortable ordering C&J online, but I certainly wouldn't try that without knowing exactly the last and size that fit me best, so if I do go for G&Gs I will be sure to make an appointment. I'd just rather not bother them in the "early stages" of a shoe-search.

Thanks for the info.

I'm curious though, what are the benefits of going through bespoke england? Aside from perhaps saving yourself the trip to the actual store.

And also... Macallan, I posted an update to the thread I have concerning EG and JL lasts, describing why the 337 fits, why the church's don't, and what I kind of last I think I'd need. If you could check that out as well and give me a reply I'd greatly appreciate it.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
My advice is you go to Chittleborough and Morgan and ask to try on shoes in your usual size, G&G shoes are quite fitted due to the waist being narrower than many of the other makers out there. Once you know your size then you can decide where to order, if Bespoke England have the shoes you want in stock then order from them, if not you could choose to order MTO from BE or go direct to Dean. Same price and same waiting time.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been very happy with my G&G shoes. They do make frequent tours all over the globe, so you could probably meet them in person if you make it to major cities. You only need to sit once for measurements for RTW or MTO.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My G&G's are my favorite shoes I own. Quality is excellent for the price. Finest waist treatment of any RTW shoe in that price range.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
In my opinion, G&G quality is high, but not as high as EG. Well above stuff like ferragamo.

Which G&G shoes do you own?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally find G&G to be at the very least on par with EG, and would probably put them a little higher. I do enjoy EG's lasts more though.

Macallan

Reaction score
I'm curious though, what are the benefits of going through bespoke england? Aside from perhaps saving yourself the trip to the actual store.

Once you have tried on or owned G&G shoes, you save a trip. That may be the only advatage; however, you have to take into account the time taken to make a trip and sometimes finding time is difficult. With BE, make an order and they will get in contact to discuss your order.

From my experience, if you have not tried on the last, do not purchase the shoes without trying them on; for example, I have Church's in 7.5F, 8F and 8.5F and Edward Green's in 8E and 9E. I do not purchase shoes online; however, if there was a bargain (a hugh discount off RRP) and in a last I am familiar with, I would be tempted.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie

How do you come to this conclusion? What aspects? At this level, it's splitting hairs...

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael - I own the G&G Hayes TG73, burgundy

Teddie - I've posted something much more extensive about this in the past:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ight=claverton

"I'll try to deal with some less subjective items. Preface: I'm basing my comparisons mostly on the EG Claverton (new model for '09), and the G&G Hayes, which Leffot got as a new shipment about 2 months ago. I've seen many other examples.

1) Medallions/Broguing. There is a very obvious difference in the quality of the hole-punching in the medalions/broguing on my EGs vs my G&Gs. On the EGs, even the very small holes have a clean edge, as if cut by a sharp knife. On my G&G's, the holes have perceptibly rough/torn edges, as though a tearing force rather than a sharpe edge produced the punch hole.

The G&G's punch holes look the same as my C&J's. The EG punch holes are very perceptibly neater.

2) Leather. I'm dealing with a small sample set, assuredly, but my EGs have worn decidedly better than my G&Gs. I don't know if this would be true across the board, but it is definitely true in my shoes.

3) Sole shape. The sole on my EG's had (and still has) a nice ovoidal curve both lengthwise and widthwise, with consistent acceleration of the curvature. In my own, and other G&Gs I've seen, the sole is almost flat to begin with, and sometimes has unexplainable changes in curvature that can't be by design. This is difficult to describe in writing, but you know it when you see it.

People on this forum swoon for the black beveled G&G-style sole, I don't see how it adds anything.

4) Heels. The heels of my G&G's are canted forwards, and don't lie flat on the ground unless I am standing on them. My EGs are flush.

5) My EG's have sunken metal eyelets for the lacing, which are invisible from above. G&G does not have this feature.

6) This is subjective, but I think the finish on the heel/sole edges, leather in general, is more consistent and neater on my EGs.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my G&G shoes, but I can still dispassionately assert that they are not up to snuff with EG in terms of quality. They do have nice flashy looks, and are by no means bad shoes!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads