Gaziano & Girling: Good things...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jamaican, May 29, 2008.

1. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is smaller than average. I kind of like it though. Gorgeous color, great looking shoes.

Grimsie i agree with you! esp with the color! i really need some shoes like these in this color for the summer months if not pine then chestut would be a great replacement - maybe in pig skin[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Merckx

Merckx Senior member

Now we're talkin'. [​IMG]

Nice looking shoes Jamaican, thanks for taking the time to post better pictures in regards to lighting and point of view. I'm in agreement with Grimslade and luk-cha, I'm appreciative of the color as well.

3. Robwynge

Robwynge Senior member

As regards the fit for these, they hurt when I put them on the first time and will need some breaking in time. I was surprised at this as my hove shoes (yes, a derby so this may be the difference) fit like a glove straight out of the box. I do have a high instep though...

Where does it hurt? I would not be surprised if you said over your toes or the lower part of your instep, since the toe box looks pretty low. I like lower toe boxes, as it make the shoe far more sleek looking, but I find that the break points in the leather can dig into my toes as I flex my foot. This usually goes away after a few wearings. I am not sure if that is because the leather softens or I get callouses at those points.

4. academe

academe Senior member

Gorgeous! [​IMG]

The medallion does look a bit smaller, although I think it helps to underscore the elegant lines and shaping of the toe. A larger medallion would distract from the clean lines and draw more attention to itself, rather than to the form/silhouette of the shoe.

Thanks M. Would you mind taking out the Cannes pics. I will post them a bit later J.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Question is, is this medallion smaller than normal or somehow unconventionally positioned. My CJ Cliffords have a medallion that takes up much more of the space of the toe area on the wing tip.

5. william

william Senior member

Great shoes. I may purchase that model myself if I can find a way to get sized.

6. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great shoes. I may purchase that model myself if I can find a way to get sized.

G&G fit me the same as my C&J and Vass - if this is any help!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

7. Fordvalley

Fordvalley New Member

[​IMG] Of course if they are both bespoke.

8. william

william Senior member

Check PM!

9. jamaican

jamaican Senior member

Where does it hurt? I would not be surprised if you said over your toes or the lower part of your instep, since the toe box looks pretty low. I like lower toe boxes, as it make the shoe far more sleek looking, but I find that the break points in the leather can dig into my toes as I flex my foot. This usually goes away after a few wearings. I am not sure if that is because the leather softens or I get callouses at those points.

The pain is in the part of my foot where the laces sit. Is this called the facing? Anyway, no pain in my toes at all thankfully. I can feel the shoes easing out each time I put them on so that's good news for me.

10. gurus5000

gurus5000 Member

So how long did these shoes take to receive them? Also with the mto program that G&G run what options do you have with the shoes?

Thanks in advance Jamaican[​IMG]

11. jamaican

jamaican Senior member

Oh what's this? Another one... well ok. I have been such a good boy, I really do deserve it: The Cannes on Mahogany Highland grain in size 11E on the KN14 last (I usually wear 11.5 E) . After measuring my foot, Dean Girling suggested that I drop down half a size for their slip on shoes. Finished in exactly five months... the photos don't do justice to the colour; These have a gorgeous purple hue. When I first put them on it was painful, but within a few minutes they stretched out to be comfortable and still snug on the foot. [X-post with a certain "other" site.]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

is that what they are calling a "smart square" last on that wingtip?
    Freakin' nice shoe by the way!

13. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

The medallion is lovely

For your future MTO orders, you can use any of their other medallions, your're not stuck with the base medallion they have on the specific named model

You can use any medallion they have available and I once counted 7 different ones for the MTO program

This is a minor adjustment which is permitted

I personally think there is a good amount of spacing between the medallion and the toe so don't focus you're attention there

This permits a beautiful shine to truly flourish instead of the medallion crowding out what little area there is left up to the front of the shoe

G&G wing tip brogue designs are awesome, but I still have to stick it to you by saying for my own tastes, a darker color, say dark burgundy or black would've made an excellent shoe just sparkle a bit more

Thanks for sharing them with us and am glad the photobucket advice worked

14. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

wow! those are beautiful!

15. jamaican

jamaican Senior member

... G&G wing tip brogue designs are awesome, but I still have to stick it to you by saying for my own tastes, a darker color, say dark burgundy or black would've made an excellent shoe just sparkle a bit more

Hmmm... I think I needed a lightish coloured shoe for summer, spring and autumn rotation... I am, however, thinking about an austere brogue (G&G Connaught) in G&G's vintage Rioja colour.