• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so to ask in a more elaborate way: Would anyone be interested in a GMTO with the following specs:
- St. James II
- TG73
- Tan Hatch Grain
- Regular welt and single leather soles

I imagine that it would look somewhat like this, though this is a bespoke Stefano Bemer from Permanent Style, where the brouging is slightly different from the St. James, but I imagine that this shoe would be just as versatile.

Attachments

• B0D90C00-08E4-459B-A51B-178C29553911.jpeg
    B0D90C00-08E4-459B-A51B-178C29553911.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 182

cliffordcaucus

Reaction score
Superb! How are you finding the fit?

Thank you ? the fit matches well with my low instep, low arch foot. To give a further idea of my foot shape, other lasts like AM’s Aurum Chisel last and Saint Crispin’s Classic last fit well too. The TG73 last I’m particularly enjoying as I feel the heel cup mirrors my dimensions so there’s little to no slippage.

So far my only concern is keeping up the subtle black burnish that follows the broguging, over time. Plus, at least in shoes made by GG in the past, we see leather discoloration across the creasing so I’ll be searching for a shoe cream like Saphir’s Hermès Red that would counter that possibility.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I only have 4 main shoes in my rotation (wearing them 4-5 days a week for work). Do you think vintage cherry and roija are too similar to each other to own both? Really struggling with my color choices, especially with the attached photos, which show a darker cherry that makes it look versatile, especially if I darken it over time to a more burgundy color.

The high price for two pairs and availability of only the cherry in my size for RTW might make the decision for me, but I love the roija and how well it would look with almost any suit. G&G don’t make choosing a pair easy!

Attachments

• E5B20E1B-79A8-4A94-8953-AF16F55671C5.jpeg
    E5B20E1B-79A8-4A94-8953-AF16F55671C5.jpeg
    655.1 KB · Views: 188
  • A5D012D7-7163-481D-ABBD-BE61B7117BB1.jpeg
    A5D012D7-7163-481D-ABBD-BE61B7117BB1.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 198

heelguy

Reaction score
I only have 4 main shoes in my rotation (wearing them 4-5 days a week for work). Do you think vintage cherry and roija are too similar to each other to own both? Really struggling with my color choices, especially with the attached photos, which show a darker cherry that makes it look versatile, especially if I darken it over time to a more burgundy color.

The high price for two pairs and availability of only the cherry in my size for RTW might make the decision for me, but I love the roija and how well it would look with almost any suit. G&G don’t make choosing a pair easy!
Have you checked Mehra? He carries a couple of models in rioja. I have a cherry and a rioja hatch and they are certainly different. I would probably say the rioja is a bit more versatile.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Have you checked Mehra? He carries a couple of models in rioja. I have a cherry and a rioja hatch and they are certainly different. I would probably say the rioja is a bit more versatile.
I have, unfortunately they don’t have my size in the rioja I like.

WilYa

Reaction score

If I were to choose, I will get the RTW cherry, wear for a month or two, then decide if you want to darken it to Rioja. I quite enjoy dying shoes myself and cherry to Rioja is very straightforward.

papado

Reaction score

I think you could get both--the cherry will darken after polishing but it will still be a different shade than the rioja. I would say use burgundy cream on the cherry and choose either navy polish for caps and heels to darken it and you should be on your way to a slightly more burgundy shoe!

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so to ask in a more elaborate way: Would anyone be interested in a GMTO with the following specs:
- St. James II
- TG73
- Tan Hatch Grain
- Regular welt and single leather soles

I imagine that it would look somewhat like this, though this is a bespoke Stefano Bemer from Permanent Style, where the brouging is slightly different from the St. James, but I imagine that this shoe would be just as versatile.
I would be interested but question remains if we should not just go with the below:

Attachments

• bemer.png
    bemer.png
    321.6 KB · Views: 174

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stumbled upon this today. I dont have any experience with this store, however. But they seem legitimate.

Mr. Mehra is excellent. I’ve ordered and received two pairs, which have both been great and have “a few” other items on order. ;)

rlsarthou

Reaction score

The two colors are quite different. Rioja is more versatile since you can pair it easier with darker trousers. I find more uses for it than vintage cherry. For me, vintage cherry is for mid to lighter shades of trousers with the exception of some dark (but not very dark) blues.

Goodman

Reaction score
The two colors are quite different. Rioja is more versatile since you can pair it easier with darker trousers. I find more uses for it than vintage cherry. For me, vintage cherry is for mid to lighter shades of trousers with the exception of some dark (but not very dark) blues.

Agreed. As a result, I mostly wear vintage cherry in the spring/summer when I tend to wear lighter shades, and the vintage rioja more in fall/winter. Not a hard and fast rule but a great way to rationalize owning both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads