• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i doubt it's a customized last, its probaby just the deco last with regular construction. May want to talk to this guy who works in SF for wilkes bashford which is part of the mitchell group

I talked to the guys in SF a couple weeks ago when their sale started and they told me the Strand and Bramhall were on the round deco last.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the Savile Row location carry RTW on site, particularly F-Width?

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Savile Row certainly carries RTW on site but I cannot tell you which widths of which shoes.

AriG

Reaction score
Good news and bad news. I bought the Hayes rtw. Wanted to try the TG (have two MH), don't have any burgundy type shoe (shame on me), didn't feel like waiting on anything, so this was perfect. And it fits indeed great (same size as MH), impeccably finished as well (sorry, not a great shot), love the darkness and depth of the rioja, very wearable:

Now the bad part (and I'll tack it to G&G retail, not MTO/Savile): Note the missing shoe tree. The one in the right shoe is a very well fitting Skoaktiebolaget size 6 tree (shoe is 7E). Ofc I ordered the Gazianos with lasted matching trees. I've had those for my other 2 G&Gs also. They are all supposed to be the same, right. Which is ok, and indeed my other two pairs are marked 7E and are virtually the same. Today I get this, the one on the right:

So much for lasted trees ... I know one can't tell well from the pic, though the left side banana could indicate that while it is quite a bit shorter, it is in fact what I would call significantly wider. On the widest part 9.4cm vs. 8.8cm (on the fitting tree), on the back heel part 6.8cm vs. 6.3cm. In fact, they came in the shoes and I thought for 5 minutes that I literally would not be able to get them out of the shoes, meaning they were squashed in there with massive force and the spring ofcourse was fully collapsed as well. They are also impossible for me - now that I thankfully got them out - to re-insert. Which makes sense, since the smaller (good ones) fit perfectly. The ones I received today are also not marked on size, it seems to me literally like a random block of wood, certainly not for this shoe. Still cost 155£ though.

Srsly, G&G, I am just looking to try this last and finally get the reasons to place a 3 shoe MTO order bc I want all these shoes. Don't they need this kind of client? Apparently not. Or maybe retail and packacking there is so disconnected that they just shove this stupid block into my 1200$ shoe and expect me not to notice or care? It's absurd, seriously. Rant over.

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you get these from GG or from a retailer? Either way, unacceptable, and should be sent back asap. They look like the difference between the traditional all last shoe tree, and the one from the `cheaper` line.

AriG

Reaction score
Good point, that could well be - sent them back now. Ordered from G&G directly.

iyorito

Reaction score
Good news and bad news. I bought the Hayes rtw. Wanted to try the TG (have two MH), don't have any burgundy type shoe (shame on me), didn't feel like waiting on anything, so this was perfect. And it fits indeed great (same size as MH), impeccably finished as well (sorry, not a great shot), love the darkness and depth of the rioja, very wearable:
View attachment 1208874

Now the bad part (and I'll tack it to G&G retail, not MTO/Savile): Note the missing shoe tree. The one in the right shoe is a very well fitting Skoaktiebolaget size 6 tree (shoe is 7E). Ofc I ordered the Gazianos with lasted matching trees. I've had those for my other 2 G&Gs also. They are all supposed to be the same, right. Which is ok, and indeed my other two pairs are marked 7E and are virtually the same. Today I get this, the one on the right:

So much for lasted trees ... I know one can't tell well from the pic, though the left side banana could indicate that while it is quite a bit shorter, it is in fact what I would call significantly wider. On the widest part 9.4cm vs. 8.8cm (on the fitting tree), on the back heel part 6.8cm vs. 6.3cm. In fact, they came in the shoes and I thought for 5 minutes that I literally would not be able to get them out of the shoes, meaning they were squashed in there with massive force and the spring ofcourse was fully collapsed as well. They are also impossible for me - now that I thankfully got them out - to re-insert. Which makes sense, since the smaller (good ones) fit perfectly. The ones I received today are also not marked on size, it seems to me literally like a random block of wood, certainly not for this shoe. Still cost 155£ though.

Srsly, G&G, I am just looking to try this last and finally get the reasons to place a 3 shoe MTO order bc I want all these shoes. Don't they need this kind of client? Apparently not. Or maybe retail and packacking there is so disconnected that they just shove this stupid block into my 1200$ shoe and expect me not to notice or care? It's absurd, seriously. Rant over.

View attachment 1208875
Please reach out to me MH71 Masaichi Hasegawa at [email protected] I am one of the founding partners and Director of Asia of Gaziano & Girling based in Tokyo. I would like to personally help you on this matter and will be an honour to help you with your future order.

Last edited:

sforum1

Reaction score
View attachment 1208874

View attachment 1208875
wow, what a pos. G&G had one good thing going for them and they seem to be hard at work to f**k it up, while still feeling entitled to rip off people shamelessly charging 155GBP for this piece of garbage. Shame on you.

All good things come to an end my friends, true.

Last edited:

sforum1

Reaction score
Please reach out to me MH71 Masaichi Hasegawa at [email protected] I am one of the founding partners and Director of Asia of Gaziano & Girling based in Tokyo. I would like to personally help you on this matter and will be an honour to help you with your future order.
Sorry but what's that supposed to mean? Was that a mistake, a mystery that somehow happened and noone knows how? So he will personally reach out to you next time (how about this time) and you will take care of him? How about me? How about the next guy? Who will take care of us? Should we all reach out to you personally going forward every time we decide to place an order and if we don't it'll be our fault we didn't?

So essentially the G&G company is split in 2, the good guys who will go above and beyond and those other bad guys who are out to get you and watch your back when dealing with them. Good to know.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1208874

View attachment 1208875
Was this from g&g or a retailer of g&g. Also. I agree with you that vintage rioja is a fantastic color.

Sorry but what's that supposed to mean? Was that a mistake, a mystery that somehow happened and noone knows how? So he will personally reach out to you next time (how about this time) and you will take care of him? How about me? How about the next guy? Who will take care of us? Should we all reach out to you personally going forward every time we decide to place an order and if we don't it'll be our fault we didn't?

So essentially the G&G company is split in 2, the good guys who will go above and beyond and those other bad guys who are out to get you and watch your back when dealing with them. Good to know.
Bro. You’re getting all mad & they ain’t even your shoes. Do you even own any g&gs?

sforum1

Reaction score
Was this from g&g or a retailer of g&g. Also. I agree with you that vintage rioja is a fantastic color.

Bro. You’re getting all mad & they ain’t even your shoes. Do you even own any g&gs?
no, I don't. But maybe you're right. I'm all mad and bitter because I can't afford them.

winghus

Reaction score
Is the Thorpe MTO only? I was browsing the G&G site and saw very few boots and no Thorpe available RTW.

WilYa

Reaction score
wow, what a pos. G&G had one good thing going for them and they seem to be hard at work to f**k it up, while still feeling entitled to rip off people shamelessly charging 155GBP for this piece of garbage. Shame on you.

All good things come to an end my friends, true.
Truth be told, EG has been these at similar price range for years....no one complains

sforum1

Reaction score
Truth be told, EG has been these at similar price range for years....no one complains
Oh, I did. Big time. And made the case in fact that EG trees are identical to the C&J ones, only the C&J ones fit better for me even in EG shoes and cost a fraction of the price. And didn’t the GG trees just go up in price?A 3rd parry company maybe needs to start offering truly lasted, top quality trees for all these “premium” shoe brands if themselves are not capable of doing this, other than advertise that they do and insist to want to charge for it.

WilYa

Reaction score
Oh, I did. Big time. And made the case in fact that EG trees are identical to the C&J ones, only the C&J ones fit better for me even in EG shoes and cost a fraction of the price. And didn’t the GG trees just go up in price?A 3rd parry company maybe needs to start offering truly lasted, top quality trees for all these “premium” shoe brands if themselves are not capable of doing this, other than advertise that they do and insist to want to charge for it.
Most English makers use Springline for lasts an trees. That's why they are identical.
I am in doubt if there is any IP issue when a 3rd party starts selling lasted trees

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads