• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

sforum1

Reaction score
Wonder if shipping one shoe (instead of a pair) at a time makes sense then?
Or not include the extra laces and claim that those are a £300 value. Then ship those separately in an envelope.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is actually a great idea from a business POV. The brand recognition has grown greatly over the years, it is time to embrace the public. You can never make real money if you only cater connoisseurs.
For rebranding, that was purely my guess judging by the outsole finish on the pics, hope people could shed more light when they have the shoes on hand. I don't think GG factory is that big though, more of a workshop and not ideal for real benchmaking. They must have had a recent expansion to cope with such production volume. On the other hand, I believe CJ handgrade pricing for contract orders is around £150, not a bad deal if you have a strong brand.

G&G:s new factory is not that small, and it's not like they are to produce 10,000 pairs a year of the classic range. If you own a factory, it's never a good idea to use another one producing what you can produce (you would only do that in "emergency" situations), that would not make business sense. Like I've said, the Classic range IS made by themselves. I've talked to G&G about it.

Quote myself on the topic, when comparing to their regular range: "The heel is lowered slightly, the waist is not as tightly cut, they are simply a bit simpler made, less finesse but with the same attention. The material is also of the same very high level, with real leather heel stiffeners, oak bark tanned leather soles from Baker and first-class calfskins for the upper leather."

With that, as stated by others above, I'd say the price makes sense. When removing the relatively large amount of handwork and other more complicated production parts that goes into making a regular G&G shoe, plus only selling in their own channels, it's all very reasonable. Do agree with the US customs view Sforum brings up as well, they likely have taken that into account.

WilYa

Reaction score
G&G:s new factory is not that small, and it's not like they are to produce 10,000 pairs a year of the classic range. If you own a factory, it's never a good idea to use another one producing what you can produce (you would only do that in "emergency" situations), that would not make business sense. Like I've said, the Classic range IS made by themselves. I've talked to G&G about it.

Quote myself on the topic, when comparing to their regular range: "The heel is lowered slightly, the waist is not as tightly cut, they are simply a bit simpler made, less finesse but with the same attention. The material is also of the same very high level, with real leather heel stiffeners, oak bark tanned leather soles from Baker and first-class calfskins for the upper leather."

With that, as stated by others above, I'd say the price makes sense. When removing the relatively large amount of handwork and other more complicated production parts that goes into making a regular G&G shoe, plus only selling in their own channels, it's all very reasonable. Do agree with the US customs view Sforum brings up as well, they likely have taken that into account.
Thanks a lot!

gzheydey

Reaction score
I think the new Classic range is just meeting the market demand for old school style. Especially after Prince Charles visiting, some fans or supporters may visit GG store and get some new shoes, just like the Prince did. Have to admit, the British Royal family is leading the tendency of fashion. Bearing this in mind, it's easier the understand why the width change, the heels lowered, and the only available boot is suede chukka. (Aging foot tend to be flatter, thus wider; lower heel shoes always more comfortable for aging feet; my father never like boots like Alden, difficult to tie, chukka is more friendly; he prefer suede and rubber sole, easy break in, and excellent waterproof. Now I really believe Tony and Dean really listens to the Prince, not just pretend to nod along. ^_^)

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I love my new GG so much (funnily enough though, the St-James fit me a tad better than the Hilton which are a bit tight for my toes, but I wore them a day and a half so expecting them to open up a bit more), I now want to go MTO and have a few questions for you.

First is how much does it cost compared to stock shoes ? I know it depends on what you order, but if there is no croc etc., for instance I want a St-James with an orchid patina, or a Sinatra with a hatch grain calf, how much would those be compared to stock ?

Secondly, how long does it usually take for them to make MTO and deliver those ?

Thanks !

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I love my new GG so much (funnily enough though, the St-James fit me a tad better than the Hilton which are a bit tight for my toes, but I wore them a day and a half so expecting them to open up a bit more), I now want to go MTO and have a few questions for you.

First is how much does it cost compared to stock shoes ? I know it depends on what you order, but if there is no croc etc., for instance I want a St-James with an orchid patina, or a Sinatra with a hatch grain calf, how much would those be compared to stock ?

Secondly, how long does it usually take for them to make MTO and deliver those ?

Thanks !
So made to order price is 250 pounds plus standard cost. So whatever the price of Saint James 2 & sinatra you see online. Take that then you add 250 pounds if you want patina add 120 pounds more. It’s better to call or email to get exact quote on prices. Some times they have special were made to order fee is waved. You can pic whatever leather you want. Minus exotic leather like croc, alligator, shell etc. They will have extra up charge but to get your exact quote. I would say call them or email them.

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
Thanks Ttown. Of course I will get in touch with them when I made up my mind but just wanted a rough idea of the extra cost.
Any idea how long it typically takes for MTO to be shipped ?

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ttown. Of course I will get in touch with them when I made up my mind but just wanted a rough idea of the extra cost.
Any idea how long it typically takes for MTO to be shipped ?

I think the standard answer is about 4 months. That being said, I ordered these December 10 and they are arriving in my greedy hands today.

5AF3D4E4-AB3E-441D-AC46-4985313F51B6.jpeg
1AE5E252-A922-463F-B2C9-2FABD0577B2A.jpeg
EB720D9B-36D3-4F0A-A548-27866A21D660.jpeg

sforum1

Reaction score
I think the standard answer is about 4 months. That being said, I ordered these December 10 and they are arriving in my greedy hands today.

View attachment 1130182 View attachment 1130183 View attachment 1130184
I **think** I have the exact same shoe. But not clear about what last/color yours are. Definitely not TG73, DG70. I want to say MH71 and I would put my money on that but the last pic gave me a little pause. Also is the color vintage cedar or cherry?

Mine are cedar on the MH71 and I LOVE THEM. For some reason this pair is the closest to having that bespoke look. That being said, my fav pair remains the EG Chelsea on the 82 last, of course in the classic DOAK.

I also have a pair ordered from around the same time but I have not received yet. It looks like I may be receiving sooner than I thought then.

Last edited:

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I **think** I have the exact same shoe. But not clear about what last/color yours are. Definitely not TG73, DG70. I want to say MH71 and I would put my money on that but the last pic gave me a little pause. Also is the color vintage cedar or cherry?

Mine are cedar on the MH71 and I LOVE THEM. For some reason this pair is the closest to having that bespoke look. That being said, my fav pair remains the EG Chelsea on the 82 last, of course in the classic DOAK.

I also have a pair ordered from around the same time but I have not received yet. It looks like I may be receiving sooner than I thought then.

Those are the Burlington in Vintage Cedar on the MH71. Good eye. I debated long and hard about vintage cedar versus vintage cherry. A vintage cherry St. James is on the list though.

I have the same Chelsea as well. They are great. I did get a G&G Cambridge in vintage oak on the GG06 and they may be my favorite oxford at the moment. So good.

sforum1

Reaction score
Those are the Burlington in Vintage Cedar on the MH71. Good eye. I debated long and hard about vintage cedar versus vintage cherry. A vintage cherry St. James is on the list though.
Yeah, same as mine. The color is perfect for these shoes. These shoes get the most stares for some reason. The St James in vintage cherry is a must. I also have the St James in vintage pine and I have to say I like that one even more.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, same as mine. The color is perfect for these shoes. These shoes get the most stares for some reason. The St James in vintage cherry is a must. I also have the St James in vintage pine and I have to say I like that one even more.

My problem with the St. James is that I know I'll end up wanting it in like 4 colors so I haven't started that process yet. I did decide that the first I buy will be in vintage rioja. That's something I've wanted for a long, long time.

What last are yours on? TG73 is a bit severe to me so I was thinking MH71. I saw a picture of a St. James on the GG06 and it actually really, really good looking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads