• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I've read that since GG offers a patina service, they propose to do it on any stock pair and that it takes like a week.

A couple tips based on my experience:

1. As Neus advised me, it's always easier to go darker, so if you want a patina select a light-coloured model. Generally, warmer brown-toned patinas start with maple calf colour (almost sand-coloured), cooler tones in the blue- to purple start with midnight blue, and neutral grey/deco-black patinas start with pearl grey as the base colour. You can have any shoes patina'd, but the result is better if you start light and then darken.

2. Patinas are an art, which means that different people will have different styles. Pete Bultitude at the Kettering factory is a rock-star god, as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to patina - if you like very distinctive variations, his work will nail it for you. Neus is no less an expert, and her style is more subtle. And of course there are other patina artists that will do G&G shoes, just check Instagram. You want to familiarise yourself with a couple artists' styles and then go with the one that most suits your aesthetic.

3. Patinas do take a bit more care in the long term. It can be part of the charm, or an irritating hassle depending on what side of bed you got out on in the morning ;). Just bear it in mind.

Hope that helps.

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
I find the following useful as a summary of different options:

https://www.shopmehra.com/collections/mto-gaziano-girling/Colour

I heard that GG had a configurator on their site at some point, too bad this no longer is online ...

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot. All of the patinas I have found online are on your website, looks perfect, many thanks !! Can't believe either they dont have that on their website any longer, it really is a shame.

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
A couple tips based on my experience:

1. As Neus advised me, it's always easier to go darker, so if you want a patina select a light-coloured model. Generally, warmer brown-toned patinas start with maple calf colour (almost sand-coloured), cooler tones in the blue- to purple start with midnight blue, and neutral grey/deco-black patinas start with pearl grey as the base colour. You can have any shoes patina'd, but the result is better if you start light and then darken.

2. Patinas are an art, which means that different people will have different styles. Pete Bultitude at the Kettering factory is a rock-star god, as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to patina - if you like very distinctive variations, his work will nail it for you. Neus is no less an expert, and her style is more subtle. And of course there are other patina artists that will do G&G shoes, just check Instagram. You want to familiarise yourself with a couple artists' styles and then go with the one that most suits your aesthetic.

3. Patinas do take a bit more care in the long term. It can be part of the charm, or an irritating hassle depending on what side of bed you got out on in the morning ;). Just bear it in mind.

Hope that helps.

It helps a lot. Thanks !

Was also thinking about going first light-coloured to darker, was contemplating a criollo patina so I'd assume it should be possible on the Grant in Vintage Oak originally but I'll call them to check.

As for 2, I will try either of the ones you mentioned, had heard about both of them and many recommended Neus too.

As for 3, I will probably find it irritating more than part of the charm, but what can I do :)

Thanks for the very useful input.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It helps a lot. Thanks !

Was also thinking about going first light-coloured to darker, was contemplating a criollo patina so I'd assume it should be possible on the Grant in Vintage Oak originally but I'll call them to check.

As for 2, I will try either of the ones you mentioned, had heard about both of them and many recommended Neus too.

As for 3, I will probably find it irritating more than part of the charm, but what can I do :)

Thanks for the very useful input.
You can definitely do criollo patina on vintage oak. I know this for fact cause I did it. But if you are calling gg you will get your info that you are seeking.

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
You can definitely do criollo patina on vintage oak. I know this for fact cause I did it. But if you are calling gg you will get your info that you are seeking.

So I did e-mail them and they answered my 2-3 e-mails within 20 minutes every time, fantastic reactivity, love it.

They said usually patinas are more for MTO orders as the shoes come in a pine colour which is much easier to apply patina on.

They said that they could absolutely try to do the patinas on stock models but that they would be way darker, for instance for the criollo they can't make it smoky on a vintage oak as it is too dark in the first place.

I think I am gonna try nonetheless ! Or maybe should I try rich brown instead, will see. is your particularly dark Ttown ?

I was also considering a Margaux patina on the st james vintage cherry and answer was the exact same. They'd be glad to do it but it's gonna be much darker than original Margaux patina.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
65D5B5E5-A0DD-4BDD-A873-FE01D1DAF63B.jpeg

That’s my criollo patina on stock burnham. I had too many vintage oak so this does change the boot. Hope this helps @Roc_Xel

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
View attachment 1124106
That’s my criollo patina on stock burnham. I had too many vintage oak so this does change the boot. Hope this helps @Roc_Xel

Stunning, I love it. Can't believe it was vintage Oak before, they did an awesome job it looks barely darker than regualr criollo made from scratch on a MTO model.

Thanks a lot, I'm gonna go for it I love it.

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
Sorry to keep posting but one last question for all of you, did you experience your GG to open up a bit ?

I initially went for the same size I go for in C&J, 11 E UK, and could barely enter into the shoes, my toes were litterally unable to move, had to ship them back and received the 11.5 E UK. They fit ten times better but still not as good as my C&J, for instance I cant have the laces fully tight all around (which does not matter look-wise but just to give you an idea). I can tie them just fine but will give some room on the lower rings to put them properly.

I was able to do all of Friday with the 11.5 UK without them hurting too much so for a first day it's not that bad at all, but I still have little room on the toe part to move within the shoe. They seem clearly long enough but maybe a bit tight. Suprising as I never had to go above E in C&J which even sometimes are a bit loose in 11 E.

So I just was wondering whether they will open up a bit meaning I lll feel more comfortable in my GG or will they stay super tight ?

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep posting but one last question for all of you, did you experience your GG to open up a bit ?

I initially went for the same size I go for in C&J, 11 E UK, and could barely enter into the shoes, my toes were litterally unable to move, had to ship them back and received the 11.5 E UK. They fit ten times better but still not as good as my C&J, for instance I cant have the laces fully tight all around (which does not matter look-wise but just to give you an idea). I can tie them just fine but will give some room on the lower rings to put them properly.

I was able to do all of Friday with the 11.5 UK without them hurting too much so for a first day it's not that bad at all, but I still have little room on the toe part to move within the shoe. They seem clearly long enough but maybe a bit tight. Suprising as I never had to go above E in C&J which even sometimes are a bit loose in 11 E.

So I just was wondering whether they will open up a bit meaning I lll feel more comfortable in my GG or will they stay super tight ?
Brand new shoes are all ways air tight specially for gg. Once you push your feet inside the shoes. You should hear that sound that air is being pushed out. Once you break in your shoes it does become little relaxed. But in general gg fit & hugs your feet tighter/snugg vs other brand. It’s a huge difference between c&j & gg. Heel is crazy big & c&j feel like it has more space. You may want to give F width a try. Gg F width its not as wide as other brands. But will give you that wiggle room that you desire. Hope this helps you, if you can try ordering f width also. You can all ways return them. Worst case you will be out the cost of shipping.

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
Brand new shoes are all ways air tight specially for gg. Once you push your feet inside the shoes. You should hear that sound that air is being pushed out. Once you break in your shoes it does become little relaxed. But in general gg fit & hugs your feet tighter/snugg vs other brand. It’s a huge difference between c&j & gg. Heel is crazy big & c&j feel like it has more space. You may want to give F width a try. Gg F width its not as wide as other brands. But will give you that wiggle room that you desire. Hope this helps you, if you can try ordering f width also. You can all ways return them. Worst case you will be out the cost of shipping.

Thanks (again !) Ttown.

Will try to see if I can try an F width somewhere, there is a reseller where I live but only has a few models and doubt they will have F width. -I think they should break in enough in E 11.5 but we'll see. Also I would not know what size take, the E 11 was litterally so small (blood was like not running into my feet ^^) that I don't see me go F 11, and would rather probably go 11.5 F, which makes it really so much bigger than the E 11 in C&J. Have seen that many ppl go either 11.5 E or 11 F but they will usually go down half a size between f and E.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on Thorpe vs EG Nevis ?
Oak Vs Kudu ?
I own thorp & Nevis for split toe thorps hands down one of the best boots that gg makes. For my other boot needs it’s galaway. Kudu is original imported from pea body only gg & AM have the skin for this kind of kudu. Oak hatch grain is great also. I think you should give thorp a shot. Boot are more forgiving vs shoes & for reason it does not work out it’s easy return.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads