• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
On some C&J's lasts, UK 11 is too large for me, but, UK 10.5 is a good fit.

If you cannot return the shoes, you could try to stretch them yourself or you could also let your cobbler do it. My experience is that one gains about half a size by stretching shoes.

When i stretch my shoes myself, I use Sellari's SPS (https://www.leathercaresupply.com/p...al-shoe-stretch-liquid?variant=21420933283923), and, it works well for me. It was recommended by @Nick V. from B. Nelson on his shoe repair thread.

I also apply Saphir Shoe-Eze (https://www.amazon.com/Saphir-Shoe-eze-Leather-Softener-50/dp/B0168TF7RM) right before wearing the shoes until the leather has given enough and the shoes fit. Shoe-Eze comes either in a liquid or in a foam, and both have worked equally well for me.

Sorry was away for a few days, but thanks for your answer. My "new" pairs arrive today, same but in 11.5 E UK instead of 11. It was so tight in the 11 E that I still may have to do some of what you just mentioned. Will keep you updated.

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
Gentlemen i have to share something crazy with you. So they sent me back my shoes in 11.5 instead of 11.

The shoes fit great. BUT those are the same shoes. Litterally those are the ones i had sent back. It is also the same shoe trees (had noted a "h" under the hilton ones to recognize them and the "h" is still in the shoe trees that were in the "new" hilton). Now shoe trees just show 11.5 instead of 11 but they are the same.
Same for the shoes. I had walked 3 min with the hilton so had minor marks especially on the soles (had warned them about that and said I'd pay what I have to in this respect), they managed to clean those but i still see a bit of the minor barely noticeable creases i had done and they are still laced EXACTLY the way i had.

So they received the shoes on Monday at noon and sent tjem back yesterday but same shoes. But they fit. They seem especially wider

Any thoughts ???

How did they do that ? Honestly i m fine with the way they proceeded as I had walked in the hilton and, more importantly, the shoes seem great right now. No problem therefore but i just find it weord they use even the same shoe trees which were in 11 but now show 11.5 (are those adjustable?). I need to understand exactly what was done in case I want to buy more pairs in the future...

Very interested in your thoughts.

Finally they e-mailed me on Monday to say they received the shoes and would have the Hilton inspected and revert the next day, and that they would send me a UPS for the 11.5 the next day (without mentioning whether only for the St-James or both pairs).

They did send me the ups tracking the next day but did not reply to my 2 other e-mails since Monday, no news on the "used" hiltons either yet. Really weird ^^

Last edited:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen i have to share something crazy with you. So they sent me back my shoes in 11.5 instead of 11.

The shoes fit great. BUT those are the same shoes. Litterally those are the ones i had sent back. It is also the same shoe trees (had noted a "h" under the hilton ones to recognize them and the "h" is still in the shoe trees that were in the "new" hilton). Now shoe trees just show 11.5 instead of 11 but they are the same.
Same for the shoes. I had walked 3 min with the hilton so had minor marks especially on the soles (had warned them about that and said I'd pay what I have to in this respect), they managed to clean those but i still see a bit of the minor barely noticeable creases i had done and they are still laced EXACTLY the way i had.

So they received the shoes on Monday at noon and sent tjem back yesterday but same shoes. But they fit. They seem especially wider

Any thoughts ???

How did they do that ? Honestly i m fine with the way they proceeded as I had walked in the hilton and, more importantly, the shoes seem great right now. No problem therefore but i just find it weord they use even the same shoe trees which were in 11 but now show 11.5 (are those adjustable?). I need to understand exactly what was done in case I want to buy more pairs in the future...

Very interested in your thoughts.

Finally they e-mailed me on Monday to say they received the shoes and would have the Hilton inspected and revert the next day, and that they would send me a UPS for the 11.5 the next day (without mentioning whether only for the St-James or both pairs).

They did send me the ups tracking the next day but did not reply to my 2 other e-mails since Monday, no news on the "used" hiltons either yet. Really weird ^^

It could just be the time of day you tried on the shoes. That's why some recommend trying on new shoes towards the end of the day after your feet have swelled.

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
It could just be the time of day you tried on the shoes. That's why some recommend trying on new shoes towards the end of the day after your feet have swelled.

No but without a doubt they "opened" them, it's very obvious. The shoes feel completely different and I had tried them at 3 pm versus 11 am today.

Also, now the boxes "officially" show 11.5 and so do the shoe trees (despite them being the same ones, as I saw my little note on them)

WilYa

Reaction score
No but without a doubt they "opened" them, it's very obvious. The shoes feel completely different and I had tried them at 3 pm versus 11 am today.

Also, now the boxes "officially" show 11.5 and so do the shoe trees (despite them being the same ones, as I saw my little note on them)
If you are 100% sure both shoes and trees are the ones you had before, they may just take the shoes re-lasted by stretching on a 11.5 last with some leather softener. This is easy to do with the 0.5 difference. Trees are even simpler, bear in mind 11.0 and 11.5 fit similarly, they may also replace the spring part to make it even better.
On a similar note, I have a decent collection of trees that I use for the shoe tree stretching method quite often.

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
If you are 100% sure both shoes and trees are the ones you had before, they may just take the shoes re-lasted by stretching on a 11.5 last with some leather softener. This is easy to do with the 0.5 difference. Trees are even simpler, bear in mind 11.0 and 11.5 fit similarly, they may also replace the spring part to make it even better.
On a similar note, I have a decent collection of trees that I use for the shoe tree stretching method quite often.

They are 100% sure the same shoe trees but it appears they are probably different shoes, the St James look more brown and less red than the previous one in 11 , and I had doubts on the Hilton but think they may be diff shoes after all. Weird they would keep (at least the second, largest part) of the shoe tree which was 11 to show it as a 11.5 and fit it in a 11.5 shoe, hope they still work well enough for their purpose.

Thanks a lot for answering !

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I've read that since GG offers a patina service, they propose to do it on any stock pair and that it takes like a week.

Does it mean you can select a pair of the stock and apply it the patina i want, granted i am fine with the last, and not have to wait for MTO periods ?

Any of you already tried that ? Being a newbie I wanted to know, can you preselect a shoe in any color ? Say I want a Beluga patina, can it be applied on a shoe that is blue in stock for instance ?

Also, from now on, I will ask and pay for my new shoes to be shined up and that they do additional glacage at the Savile row store before shipping them. My St-James are much less red and much more brown than anticipated, albeit simply beautiful.

Have read here that many of you will polish them upon receiving them, but I am so far from having your - and their - expertise that I prefer them to do it the first time.

Last question, is there anywhere I can find the patinas offered by GG ? I found quite a few on their instagram, but would love to find the ones they propose.

WilYa

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I've read that since GG offers a patina service, they propose to do it on any stock pair and that it takes like a week.

Does it mean you can select a pair of the stock and apply it the patina i want, granted i am fine with the last, and not have to wait for MTO periods ?

Any of you already tried that ? Being a newbie I wanted to know, can you preselect a shoe in any color ? Say I want a Beluga patina, can it be applied on a shoe that is blue in stock for instance ?

Also, from now on, I will ask and pay for my new shoes to be shined up and that they do additional glacage at the Savile row store before shipping them. My St-James are much less red and much more brown than anticipated, albeit simply beautiful.

Have read here that many of you will polish them upon receiving them, but I am so far from having your - and their - expertise that I prefer them to do it the first time.

Last question, is there anywhere I can find the patinas offered by GG ? I found quite a few on their instagram, but would love to find the ones they propose.
From what I understood, true patina can only be applied to crust leather and GG will have a surcharge for this, the color choice is unlimited If you just want something simple, e.g. burnished toe/heel, these could be applied to any RTW stock.
For GG patina reference, better check pete_bultitude on Ins who is the patina guy in GG factory, or check the Chinese site of Medallion Shoes who has I believe the largest selection of GG RTW. You may need google translate to navigate, at least turn pages.
https://medallionshoes.taobao.com/c...mp%3BGirling&catId=1342230268&pageNo=1#anchor

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On stock item you can do patina but it’s limited. Best is to call and ask them & they will fill you in on what all can be done. I did patina on my stock burnham.

Roc_Xel

Reaction score
From what I understood, true patina can only be applied to crust leather and GG will have a surcharge for this, the color choice is unlimited If you just want something simple, e.g. burnished toe/heel, these could be applied to any RTW stock.
For GG patina reference, better check pete_bultitude on Ins who is the patina guy in GG factory, or check the Chinese site of Medallion Shoes who has I believe the largest selection of GG RTW. You may need google translate to navigate, at least turn pages.
https://medallionshoes.taobao.com/c...mp%3BGirling&catId=1342230268&pageNo=1#anchor

On stock item you can do patina but it’s limited. Best is to call and ask them & they will fill you in on what all can be done. I did patina on my stock burnham.

Thanks to both of you. MAy I ask TTown, which color were the Burnham and which Patina were you able to do on them ?

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. MAy I ask TTown, which color were the Burnham and which Patina were you able to do on them ?
Burnham was vintage oak & it was custom patina. Just to change it up also, I trust gg manager Neus. Who use to work for corthay, she will cook you up any thing you would like. Like I said best would be call them & ask you will get your answer faster. Patina takes like one week to finish. So you can have your shoes in ten days tops. Depending upon were you are located.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads