• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

dbbradle

Reaction score
X post from shell thread. My wife and kid are out and about this afternoon so I took the time to indulge in some meditation aka shoe care. These days I barely get a chance to wear decent footwear, so very little effort required. I conditioned the leather and touched up toes with neutral cordovan cream (shell) and neutral wax polish (calf).

EG banbury in color 8, Enzo Bonafe field boot in color 4, G&G Thorpe in tan hatchgrain and G&G Burnham in conker patina

View attachment 1921321 View attachment 1921323
Could you share some more detail on how you take care of your G&G Thorpes?

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burnham in conker patina, deco round

PXL_20230321_171222288.PORTRAIT.jpg

unprocessed

Reaction score
For those with loafers, how is the fit compared to oxfords? I have to add tongue pads to my G&G Oxford to get a tighter fit.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those with loafers, how is the fit compared to oxfords? I have to add tongue pads to my G&G Oxford to get a tighter fit.
I take the same size for all G&Gs. My two loafer pairs (Crompton and Antibes) are much more loose and have a lot more gapping. I use tongue pads which help immensely, but if I know I'll be in a situation where I need to be on my feet a lot and potentially running around, I'll go with my laced or boot G&Gs.

That said, I'm 99% sure that if I sized down on loafers, they would be too tight.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I take the same size for all G&Gs. My two loafer pairs (Crompton and Antibes) are much more loose and have a lot more gapping. I use tongue pads which help immensely, but if I know I'll be in a situation where I need to be on my feet a lot and potentially running around, I'll go with my laced or boot G&Gs.

That said, I'm 99% sure that if I sized down on loafers, they would be too tight.
Do you add any padding to the tongues on your GG oxfords? How do they fit you?

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you add any padding to the tongues on your GG oxfords? How do they fit you?
Yes and no. Before I locked in my optimal G&G size 11E, I purchased a few 11.5s for which I needed tongue pads. I still have one pair of 11.5 oxfords and a pair of 11.5 derbies, and I've left in the tongue pads. No need for pads with the size 11 oxfords, derbies, or boots, but I need them with the size 11 loafers.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of RLPL's take on Antibes, which I think is in a D, but over time they have become around a quarter to half size too large. I actually bought them from Uncle Ralph on clearance half a size smaller, but they were tight as a drum and was able to trade with someone here for a half size larger. Now I kinda wonder if those would have worked out, or if I would have broken my feet trying to get use to them - perhaps I just need a quarter size.

I haven't gotten around to putting tongue pads in. I do have some G&g Oxfords, but they are I think in different lasts and don't exhibit this, but also haven't had anywhere as much wear

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with you on quarter sizes. If G&G made an MTO/RTW size 10-and-three-quarters, this would be my best size for loafers!

unprocessed

Reaction score
Question for frequent G&G MTO customers: have you ever asked to see factory photos of your shoes being produced? And recommendation on when in the process to ask or if this request would just be annoying for them.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Question for frequent G&G MTO customers: have you ever asked to see factory photos of your shoes being produced? And recommendation on when in the process to ask or if this request would just be annoying for them.
Always thought they’re busy enough so never asked for this.

papado

Reaction score
After attending the trunk show today I realized after all I'm actually most likely a 9F 🙃. Will likely cull almost all my other shoes because I've realized everything is slightly too big!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads