• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Arthur_Dent

Reaction score
I have often questioned here the quality or finish of the GG leather but it does not seem to be the place to do this - it seems to be the place to show the GG shoes new! I have never seen a well worn pair of GG, like you see on EG or CJ. One advice though - I would not be to use Renovateur (it seems to be understood as renovating shoes, but it is really a stripper of old polish), so if you continually strip off your coatings, and only add colorless cream, you may end up with something above. I would use brown pigmented creams and polishes and waxes and give it a month or so of bi-weekly polishing. But I feel for you - a $1500 shoe that looks like a $150 dollar shoe - if anyone ever has a photo of a aged GG without the creases showing fading and dryness and where the leather can absorb the wax nutrients and is a couple of years old or more, please post! But my experience has been shoes out of the box look superb, and its downhill from there...
It is quite easy to get them back up to snuff again, but there is something about the leather/finish that makes it so that it doesn't 'hold' its treatment for as long. Other pairs can easily do 10+ days of wearing (I live in the Netherlands so cycling to work with them and there is always a chance of some rain) with just a light brushing in between. But the G&G's seem to need way more care. The picture I posted above is just one day of wearing on a bit of a rainy day, while I treated them the day before. But a little polish and a brush and they look like this again:

PXL_20211216_073906491_2.jpg

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking very good!

What is the fabric on these flannels?

I don’t remember. I think VBC 130s but I’m not sure. They were from Epaulet a few years ago.

unprocessed

Reaction score
TG73 vs Square Deco lasts. Could I go down half a size in the square deco last from my normal TG73 last or best to take the same size?

GeoffreyB

Reaction score
TG73 vs Square Deco lasts. Could I go down half a size in the square deco last from my normal TG73 last or best to take the same size?

From my experience I wear the same size in both. I will say however, that my feet are narrow in width and have a low instep.

Starlito

Reaction score
I would wear the same size especially if it is the same type of shoes (oxfords vs oxfords). For my feet deco are a bit roomier than tg73 or dg70 but not to the extent that I could size down

unprocessed

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea if G&G will be doing another MTO fee waived sale soon? Seems like it was an annual deal pre-COVID.

papado

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if G&G can do any instep adjustments when shoes are sent for resole? I'm in the odd situation where my instep is actually slightly low so I'm not sure how easy a fix that is outside of using tongue pads. I'm in no immediate need for resoles at the moment but would like to know I maybe have some hope outside of maybe trying other sizes or something...

unprocessed

Reaction score
Opinions on the Savile - DG70 or square deco last? Having a hard time deciding.

Attachments

• F784E982-BDF8-44A1-982D-6C2498042474.jpeg
    F784E982-BDF8-44A1-982D-6C2498042474.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 95
  • E6680BF1-C2F4-4454-8815-687DC124576F.jpeg
    E6680BF1-C2F4-4454-8815-687DC124576F.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 101

GeoffreyB

Reaction score
Opinions on the Savile - DG70 or square deco last? Having a hard time deciding.

If you have a large size foot 10 UK or greater then go with DG70 if your size is smaller then go Deco Square last. In larger sizes, the Deco Last will look more elongated.

unprocessed

Reaction score
If you have a large size foot 10 UK or greater then go with DG70 if your size is smaller then go Deco Square last. In larger sizes, the Deco Last will look more elongated.

Mine are on the smaller side. I’d also have the option of buying the DG70 immediately without needing to do MTO, which square deco would be a MTO (but more customizable with the patina I choose).

Also a little nervous from some comments on this thread about DG70 being a noticeably tighter fit in the toe box than TG73 (only last I have).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads