• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

unprocessed

Reaction score
I was also looking at the Savoy and Highland but my main concern is that the V/Diamond cap toe is placed higher and may result in creasing inside the cap toe. Love the look though. Also considering getting two Grendons - one with the Criollo patina and another in chestnut.
24BE5A39-C8F9-4EBB-B0DA-E4791073B8AD.jpeg

Last edited:

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was also looking at the Savoy and Highland but my main concern is that the V/Diamond cap toe is placed higher and may result in creasing inside the cap toe. Love the look though. Also considering getting two Grendons - one with the Criollo patina and another in chestnut.
View attachment 1606098
I have to say - I LOVE the Savoy. I too had your reservations, and I also thought it would be to dandified. But I've fallen completely, it is one of my favourite models now.

If it helps, take a look at the three I have at the moment. First thing is yes, you will get some creasing - it's inevitable. It'll happen on plain caps as well.

That said, in my experience the wide space and triple rows of stitching on a brogued cap, both V and straight, are pretty strong reinforcements that makes it quite difficult fo the leather to get a pronounced crease - and the busyness of the medallion and brogueing makes it really hard to see it. Mine I can just about see small crease lines at the very apex of the V.

It's really minimal, especially if you compare it the Regents I have on sale: the narrow, double row of plain stitching you can see is definitely not enough to stop a pronounced crease, and there's nothing to distract the eye if a crease really bothers you.

Hope that helps your decision-making!
IMG_3904.jpeg

IMG_4492.jpg

IMG_7204.jpg

My Regents:
IMG_6489.jpeg

Last edited:

dench127

Reaction score
8F7B07E8-8FA3-46DA-A8DD-4D63FD54B239.png

Saw the email about their “Optimum MTO range”

Randomly clicked through options on MTO to see price — this is almost 4000 USD for a shoe without a personalized last/trial shoe. I’m going to assume it’s handwelted even though it doesn’t say that explicitly anywhere.

Templeman’s bespoke prices aren’t that far off. These GGs better do my taxes for me.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1609619
Saw the email about their “Optimum MTO range”

Randomly clicked through options on MTO to see price — this is almost 4000 USD for a shoe without a personalized last/trial shoe. I’m going to assume it’s handwelted even though it doesn’t say that explicitly anywhere.

Templeman’s bespoke prices aren’t that far off. These GGs better do my taxes for me.
Seems a bit ridiculous and if they don't specifically call out that it's handwelted I wouldn't be so sure it is. That's a strong selling point and something I would think should be specifically stated at that price point

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jesper says it’s handwelt, but yea would be better if they just list out

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yup, it was suppose to be bespoke level without personalized last (wonder if they would allow last modification for example), though that's a lot more than AM Aurum without the flexibility, and yea at that px I would just go Nicholas Templeman for bespoke (he starts like 3k gbp ex. VAT, so just a touch more?)

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
yup, it was suppose to be bespoke level without personalized last (wonder if they would allow last modification for example), though that's a lot more than AM Aurum without the flexibility, and yea at that px I would just go Nicholas Templeman for bespoke (he starts like 3k gbp ex. VAT, so just a touch more?)
According to shoegazing small last modifications are okay. Agreed though. A lot of money

unprocessed

Reaction score
Not clear to me that G&G have presented a compelling case for this product at this price.

Especially with the MTO tool is exactly the same as their normal MTO line. Really don’t understand the clientele they’re targeting.

Would have been awesome if they added a few popular RTW models (SJII, Hayes, etc) as custom patina options so you get a customized color without the MTO wait.

Last edited:

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2,750 GBP??? Lol that’s so stupid. I bet they also charge shipping on it.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fairness the Optimum range will go great with a $7,000 off the rack Kiton suit. That has to be the customer they are going after. Lots of money, little thought.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I was correct, still charging 30GBP for shipping and you still have to pay extra toe tips. SMH.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads