• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

unprocessed

Reaction score
For people with multiple G&Gs, do you have mostly the same last for all your shoes or is your collection more diverse? Already have 2 pairs on the TG73 and I’m inclined to get a few more pairs on the same last but wondering if it will seem boring after a while.

Woodman

Reaction score
For people with multiple G&Gs, do you have mostly the same last for all your shoes or is your collection more diverse? Already have 2 pairs on the TG73 and I’m inclined to get a few more pairs on the same last but wondering if it will seem boring after a while.
FWIW, while the TG73 is far and away my favorite and most numerous, I have and enjoy all the non-Deco lasts. The loafer KN14, however, just doesn't work with my feet.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did all the G&Gs get more expensive by 45 GBP.... wow guess they need to make up for offering the 20% off for so long.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The price rise and removal of the discount coincide with retail opening up again for us in the U.K. Deliberate I think.

I’d be surprised if raw materials hadn’t gone up post Brexit, along with some extra admin.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The price rise and removal of the discount coincide with retail opening up again for us in the U.K. Deliberate I think.

I’d be surprised if raw materials hadn’t gone up post Brexit, along with some extra admin.
I’d guess they wanted to raise prices previously but didn’t want to raise them during covid.

pound is doing well post brexit, so raw materials would go down though. No?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i might get flamed for saying this but anyway I think it's kind of cheeky to raise all prices by 45 gbp, sure it's a "slight" raise compared to the overall price of a G&G shoe but I still think it's cheeky as f**k. I won't be buying anything from them lol.

dench127

Reaction score
i might get flamed for saying this but anyway I think it's kind of cheeky to raise all prices by 45 gbp, sure it's a "slight" raise compared to the overall price of a G&G shoe but I still think it's cheeky as f**k. I won't be buying anything from them lol.

Well prices rise all the time due to inflation, they have to. There's reason to think that after all the stimulus injected by rich countries in the last year inflation may accelerate in coming years.

However, I think it's a bad look to do it immediately after a 20% sale that has been going on for basically a year because it makes it seem like their pricing formula is arbitrary and isn't truly tied to the costs of the firm. But come on who is buying GGs for value here...?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup I understand that inflation is / should be inevitable over time but I wouldn't necessarily call it 'all the time.' You're right though, cheap money floating around is a concern (though not catastrophic) and who knows? Maybe G&G's prices really did go up in terms of raw materials procurement what with Brexit changes and a host of other factors. I know they're not the size of say, Allen Edmonds, and it's probably not a great comparison here but I don't think AE's prices have gone up in a quite a while and the US is masterful with cheap stimulus money. I totally agree though that it isn't a great look to raise prices immediately post 20% off for pretty much a whole year and coinciding with retail re-opening.

But what do I know? I had been living under a rock in Japan for a good 6 years haha.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just want to add that G&G do make great looking shoes. I don't own any but since I do have a good stable of other British-made brands I guess I'll do fine without them.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems hard to fault a company for trying to incentivize people with a discount to buy a luxury product when we were in a pandemic, their store was closed and people weren’t going to the office or events. Most brands ran sales they would never have run over the last year just trying to stay alive and took the temporary hit to try and stay alive. Some brands made it, some brands didn’t.

We also don’t know which of their costs have gone up. Maybe they’d needed to raise prices last year but knew they couldn’t do it during the pandemic. Maybe their raw materials costs went up post-brexit.

If a brand never has to raise their prices to stay where they are priced for a long period of time something’s gotta give. either they were over charging you in the first place or they need to cut corners because we know other raw costs are going up across the industry. Give me the brand that raises their price by 5% because they’re more sensitive to those increases because they weren’t over charging and doesn’t cut corners to lower their cost any day over the company that starts cutting corners.

TokenMao

Reaction score
Yup I understand that inflation is / should be inevitable over time but I wouldn't necessarily call it 'all the time.' You're right though, cheap money floating around is a concern (though not catastrophic) and who knows? Maybe G&G's prices really did go up in terms of raw materials procurement what with Brexit changes and a host of other factors. I know they're not the size of say, Allen Edmonds, and it's probably not a great comparison here but I don't think AE's prices have gone up in a quite a while and the US is masterful with cheap stimulus money. I totally agree though that it isn't a great look to raise prices immediately post 20% off for pretty much a whole year and coinciding with retail re-opening.

But what do I know? I had been living under a rock in Japan for a good 6 years haha.

Maybe AE hasn't raised prices but seems to me like they've cut costs (lowering quality of their products, only giving one dust bag as opposed to two, shifting more production overseas). Personally I'd prefer G&G raise prices by 5% vs lowering their standards to cut costs.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do you, but you’ll run out of shoemakers pretty fast if you apply this to all makers. Trickers increased by a similar amount straight after the withdrawal, EG put their prices up almost immediately after the Brexit vote in 2016 and have done so again since.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like AE is the only brand that doesn't raise prices. Even Alden has an annual price increase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads